• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
3 and 1 after all the travel in the first 4 rounds is probably the best we could have hoped for. Highlanders this weekend will be tough, I can see us upsetting them however everything needs to go our way. Unfortunately I don't think JD is in good enough form to take the game to the Landers and we'll probably get beaten.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For poops and giggles I was going through the Rebels Alumni page and discovered this:

xTRXF3E.png

Which reminded me of one of the best TV Shows ever.

UEGsg2k.jpg

tumblr_lw7mz2a4lM1qcm16uo1_1280.jpg

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Highlander35 excuse me for being naive but where on Rebels website do I find the alumni page? I thought all that sort of stuff disappeared from new website. Just like the Rebel player number and Super Rugby and Rebels stats from current player profiles.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
If you can't find it there then the Wikipedia page might have it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You know what sucks?

I went through the Alumni, and as far as I can tell, of the first 50 players that have played for us, we've only got 6 still at the club. Then Jones is moving on at the end of the Season.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You know what sucks?

I went through the Alumni, and as far as I can tell, of the first 50 players that have played for us, we've only got 6 still at the club. Then Jones is moving on at the end of the Season.
We got / will get a good 6 years out of him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It just feels a little sad IMO

As far as I can tell, it's only 7 players left from the Pre-McGahan era as of end of Season.

Laurie Weeks (2011)
Mitch Inman (2012)
Nic Stirzaker (2012)
Scott Fuglistaller (2013)
Cruze Ah-Nau (2013)
Tom English (2013)
Jordy Reid (2013)

The players still going professionally from that era?

Hugh Pyle (Stade Francais)
Luke Jones (Bordeaux)
Mark Gerrard (Suntory? Japan anyway)
Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
Peter Betham (Leicester)
Ged Robinson (Crusaders)
Gareth Delve (Ospreys)
Cooper Vuna (Worcestor)
Heath Tessman (Force)
Danny Cipriani (Sale)
Eddie Aholeilei (London Welsh)
Jono Owen (Aukland NPC)
Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
James O'Connor (Toulon)
Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Cadeyrn Neville (Reds)
Scott Higgenbotham (Japan)
Shota Horie (Sunwolves)
Bryce Hegarty (Waratahs)
Jason Woodward (Hurricanes)
Luke Burgess* (Zebre)

Now, some I wouldn't want back because they were never good enough with us, some because of other issues, and some couldn't because they're internationals.

But there's 4-5 I wouldn't mind still having in the squad.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
And two of the list of seven are out of contract at the end of the year and no guarantee to re-sign/be offered deals

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It just feels a little sad IMO

As far as I can tell, it's only 7 players left from the Pre-McGahan era as of end of Season.

Laurie Weeks (2011)
Mitch Inman (2012)
Nic Stirzaker (2012)
Scott Fuglistaller (2013)
Cruze Ah-Nau (2013)
Tom English (2013)
Jordy Reid (2013)

The players still going professionally from that era?

Hugh Pyle (Stade Francais)
Luke Jones (Bordeaux)
Mark Gerrard (Suntory? Japan anyway)
Nick Phipps (Waratahs)
Peter Betham (Leicester)
Ged Robinson (Crusaders)
Gareth Delve (Ospreys)
Cooper Vuna (Worcestor)
Heath Tessman (Force)
Danny Cipriani (Sale)
Eddie Aholeilei (London Welsh)
Jono Owen (Aukland NPC)
Kurtley Beale (Waratahs)
James O'Connor (Toulon)
Paul Alo-Emile (Stade Francais)
Cadeyrn Neville (Reds)
Scott Higgenbotham (Japan)
Shota Horie (Sunwolves)
Bryce Hegarty (Waratahs)
Jason Woodward (Hurricanes)
Luke Burgess* (Zebre)

Now, some I wouldn't want back because they were never good enough with us, some because of other issues, and some couldn't because they're internationals.

But there's 4-5 I wouldn't mind still having in the squad.

Fair points, but there's turnover across most clubs in Aus. From that list there are more than a few that we've traded up from. Some of the others (highlighted) I would have back in a heartbeat.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Jerry Seinfeld summed it up when talking about sports players moving teams - we are just rooting for the clothes...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
On the 24th March 2010, the Team barely existed. We had Harold Mitchell, the VRU, Brian Waldron, Rod McQueen, Damien Hill, Greg Harris, Danny Cipriani, Laurie Weeks and Gareth Delve.

On the 24th March 2016, the side has played, then had moved on, 75 players, with an additional 4 players recruited and moved on having never played a game (Chris Thomson, Jed Gillespie, Trent Dyer and Isaiah Mosese).

It's perhaps not a ludicrous amount of turnover, but we were starting a team from scratch. Can't help but feel that we should still have more boys around from "the early years", if we'd done some things better.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Starting with a lot of players on the verge of retirement certainly added to the high turnover. I sometimes wonder how we would have gone if we went with a group of promising U20s players and just a Stirling Mortlock or two instead of Dad's Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.