• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
You hope the club have actually put in the work, and accepted the delay, to find a good fit as a sponsor. Someone who's going to stick around for longer than a year, and is a decent match culture-wise.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
not a moment too soon - Any clues why Mr Cox didn't retain the previous sponsors: RABO Direct, Yakult, BMW and Musashi?
The only guess I could make is that they were asking for a significant rate increase and the old sponsors wouldn't cop it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
it would be nice if it was a Melbournecentric firm or at least one with a strong Victorian presence or history at least.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I just read that the Rebels are set to leave their training base at Princes Park at the end of the month. Anyone know where Rebels are moving to?

Also is sponsorship announcement at end of month timed to coincide with move in training base?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I just read that the Rebels are set to leave their training base at Princes Park at the end of the month. Anyone know where Rebels are moving to?

Also is sponsorship announcement at end of month timed to coincide with move in training base?

Smart money would be a move to AAMI park. I don't think the two would be intrinsically linked. Unless we're planning to be sponsored by AAMI.

Thinking about it, it wouldn't be a completely silly move for AAMI to get into Rugby. According to their community and sponsorship page, AAMI has a relatively small footprint into Rugby League. Might be a good move into Rugby.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Last October Mr Cox said that they would be moving to AAMI park, so I guess they finally called the removal truck.
Not sure why someone would announce that an announcement for a sponsor will be made at the end of the month. If they have a sponsor, fine tell us and let the sponsor generate some publicity.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Last October Mr Cox said that they would be moving to AAMI park, so I guess they finally called the removal truck.
Not sure why someone would announce that an announcement for a sponsor will be made at the end of the month. If they have a sponsor, fine tell us and let the sponsor generate some publicity.

Not sure if anyone from the Rebels has 'announced' that they will be announcing a sponsor. Crashy noted in this thread that "Major sponsor announced at the end of the month apparently".

Having said that, I feel a major sponsor is well overdue and welcome the investment to the Club.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
AAMI Park makes sense. Although will be very busy area with Storm, Victory and Demons at AAMI Park and Collingwood next door.

Lou75 I tend to agree with sponsor. Doesn't make sense to hold off until end of month. If we had a sponsor I could understand us holding announcement off until next week in lead up to next home game.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
AAMI Park makes sense. Although will be very busy area with Storm, Victory and Demons at AAMI Park and Collingwood next door.

Lou75 I tend to agree with sponsor. Doesn't make sense to hold off until end of month. If we had a sponsor I could understand us holding announcement off until next week in lead up to next home game.
Could be planning a launch with advertising etc to coincide?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I thought of Crown at first, but they still sponsor the Melbourne Storm. Don't think Crown will sponsor both Rugby codes in Melbourne.

VB - well yea I could handle that as it may lead to heavy Beer service at AAMI park on match day. Log bow, yes I know.

Yarra Trams? Might suit their Eco Rebel push.

Yarra River? *shudder* nope...

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Pretty sure I read in the Australian that cox said that they were at final stages with a major sponsor which would hopefully be announced at the end of the month. See how it pans out but I'm the same article coz also said the rebels would not post a financial loss at the end of this year for the first time.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Pretty sure I read in the Australian that cox said that they were at final stages with a major sponsor which would hopefully be announced at the end of the month. See how it pans out but I'm the same article coz also said the rebels would not post a financial loss at the end of this year for the first time.
Let's do the numbers: Membership is 8500 x $200 (avg) = 1.7 m
Sponsors - lost some, but have FUSO and apparently a new signing coming = let's say 1 m
ARU 5.8 + extra 2 m
Match Day Rev 2 m = 12.5 m
So yeah, he should be able to keep costs below the magic 12.5 m figure and make a profit this year. Good luck to him and go rebels

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Let's do the numbers: Membership is 8500 x $200 (avg) = 1.7 m
Sponsors - lost some, but have FUSO and apparently a new signing coming = let's say 1 m
ARU 5.8 + extra 2 m
Match Day Rev 2 m = 12.5 m
So yeah, he should be able to keep costs below the magic 12.5 m figure and make a profit this year. Good luck to him and go rebels
I just remembered that Mr Cox said recently that he had also doubled his Weary Membership base from 200 to 400 at $2000 a pop, so that's an extra $800,000 revenue, total now stands at 13.3 m. Way to go

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Do we know if the Rebels have ever had joint sessions with the Storm? I can remember Cheika and Robinson running Roosters tahs sessions. Poor mungoes had to be wrestling with the like of Skelton, Potgieter and Mike Ala'alatoa.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Do we know if the Rebels have ever had joint sessions with the Storm? I can remember Cheika and Robinson running Roosters tahs sessions. Poor mungoes had to be wrestling with the like of Skelton, Potgieter and Mike Ala'alatoa.

A few years ago they ran a joint session out at IKON park. KB (Kurtley Beale) was in the presso and at that point he mentioned he would be interested in switching to Loig.

Sessions recently? Not that i'm aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.