• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

The thing about SANZAAR is that Australia are one of the big three of the organisation, let's just do like the Saffa's have done for years and do what we bloody well please. There wouldn't be a SANZAAR without Australia, so ARU, stop being pussies and let that be known.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
305000 AFL crowd v 9000 for the last Rebels home game. I will not waste my time comparing TV ratings.

Very anecdotal :rolleyes:

Damn. You are right. That proves that there are more rugby fans in Canberra than in Melbourne.

GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs - Manuka 14,048
Brumbies v Hurricanes - Quarter Final - GIO Stadium 9775

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
It was the mighty Doggies.... anything less than a sell out would've been a travesty.

Hahahaha

Let's be honest. The Super Rugby crowds across Australia are a travesty for all teams and have dropped massively from half a dozen years ago for all teams.

I remember when the Brumbies used to get over 20,000 in the mid 2000's. The Rebels used to get 15,000 or so about 4 years ago. Now 10,000 is a better than average crowd for both teams

And I can't imagine this year resulting in more people wanting to go to Super Rugby next year (if we are able to)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Damn. You are right. That proves that there are more rugby fans in Canberra than in Melbourne.

GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs - Manuka 14,048 - Saturday day time pre - winter
Brumbies v Hurricanes - Quarter Final - GIO Stadium 9775 Friday night freezing (minus temp) winters night

yes. The GWS have 4 games a year that are heavily subsidised and in part manufactured. The ACT Government gives them $550K per game (so ticketing can be set to maximise attendance) and they also shut down all AFL local (all levels including Jnr) games on those dates to ensure that no AFL activities interfere with potential crowd numbers.

The ACT government decisions have effectively undermined the Brumbies and Raiders supporter base significantly (and other sports) in addition to the AFL having a massive war chest to use on top of that.

But if you look slightly deeper you will discover that its also actively killed off grassroots AFL in Canberra ironically. I believe only one Canberra AFL club reanmain in the NEAFL. All the rest have been forced to withdraw suffering from financial issue etc.

The picture is far bigger than just ratings, crowd attendance and Government support.

D

daz

Nice article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ransfer-of-super-rugby-licence-to-vic/8779434

Key paragraph which mentions funding going forward:

"The Victorian Government is expected to this week announce its involvement in the deal, which includes hosting Bledisloe Cups in return for Rebels funding."

Interestingly, given the so-called emergency meeting on Friday night to discuss this development, there is no comment from the ARU. I'd love to think it is because they read the contract fine print and realised they are fucked.

Just a point though, whatever the Rebels are doing has zero impact on the Force arbitration and vis-versa, so let's not get too wound up in what each team are doing to survive.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It was the mighty Doggies.... anything less than a sell out would've been a travesty.
Good example of Vic govt spending to help a team. $20m on a stadium that will host 2 games a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Nice article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ransfer-of-super-rugby-licence-to-vic/8779434

Key paragraph which mentions funding going forward:

"The Victorian Government is expected to this week announce its involvement in the deal, which includes hosting Bledisloe Cups in return for Rebels funding." .

That's comedy gold!

Does that mean if the ARU say no they wont host any Bledisloe cup games or fund the Rebels?

Still can't see how the change in licence makes a difference TBH. Same contacts and agreement, just different owner.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
That's comedy gold!
Does that mean if the ARU say no they wont host any Bledisloe cup games or fund the Rebels?

Still can't see how the change in licence makes a difference TBH. Same contacts and agreement, just different owner.

Yeah, but it seems pretty clear that the agreement signed with Imperium meant they can't shut down the Rebels without buying the licence. Cox may have had a price. The VRU don't have any price.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
That's comedy gold!

I would say that the Vic Gov would not be comfortable providing support to a private company. A community run organisation, like the VRU, OTH, no problem. The ARU have already agreed to the transfer of ownership via the put option they signed off on in 2015.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would say that the Vic Gov would not be comfortable providing support to a private company. A community run organisation, like the VRU, OTH, no problem. The ARU have already agreed to the transfer of ownership via the put option they signed off on in 2015.

Still can't see the relevance of the ownership change in this. Which ever parties head the agreement on the Rebels side its the same agreement. Does the ARU have any funding agreement with the VRU?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The ARU really need to get a better legal team ..
Can't disagree there about the ARU but its becoming pretty clear that Cox had seen the writing on the wall and has offloaded it the best way he can to protect his brand.

But still many. like me, can't see what this change brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.