• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

This time the Vic Government is backing it.

How are they backing It?
Rebels racked up $millions in deficit during the post Mitchell era under the VRU then the ARU, why do you think that the Victorian Government will be willing to spend taxpayer money on propping up a professional rugby team?
If so, how long do you think it will last before the opposition start to question the expenditure?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Has there been any indication as to what form (or what amount) the government backing will take?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
If only all documents were lodged on ASIC then we'd know what was going on - and well before the ARU could decide their response. Please, for the ARU to state they have not been told about the sale - clearly they were not ready to announce it. Earth to Bill, its time to respond , Cam can't be doing every press release.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How are they backing It?
Rebels racked up $millions in deficit during the post Mitchell era under the VRU then the ARU, why do you think that the Victorian Government will be willing to spend taxpayer money on propping up a professional rugby team?
If so, how long do you think it will last before the opposition start to question the expenditure?

Yeah, I'm curious about this because aside from one generic statement made from Minister Eren months ago re: supporting the Rebels, the Victorian Government has not commented publicly on this.........

Most of the reporting has been what the Government has allegedly told Cox..........

But I can't imagine the Government throwing a whole bunch of money at the Rebels is going to go down well with the public right now, and there's an election next year.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Yeah, I'm curious about this because aside from one generic statement made from Minister Eren months ago re: supporting the Rebels, the Victorian Government has not commented publicly on this...

Most of the reporting has been what the Government has allegedly told Cox....

But I can't imagine the Government throwing a whole bunch of money at the Rebels is going to go down well with the public right now, and there's an election next year.

$60 million per year in the Grand Prix
Over $10 million per year on the motorbike Grand Prix
Almost a billion on not building a road

And you think $1-2 million on the Rebels is even going to be noticed

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah, I'm curious about this because aside from one generic statement made from Minister Eren months ago re: supporting the Rebels, the Victorian Government has not commented publicly on this...

Is this the same government that had no problems throwing away $1 billion to tear up a contract to build new roads? If there's an election next years, lets hold them to account on this - but probably not on green and gold

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is this the same government that had no problems throwing away $1 billion to tear up a contract to build new roads? If there's an election next years, lets hold them to account on this - but probably not on green and gold

Well, without wanting to get into a political discussion I don't think we can compare this to an election promise that they carried out after being elected.........

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is this the same government that had no problems throwing away $1 billion to tear up a contract to build new roads?

*Made a good decision to stop an economically unviable and low priority infrastructure project, that the previous Liberal government had written in such a way that their mates would get a payday regardless. Don't get in on that sunk cost fallacy nonsense either.

Otherwise, yes, the electorate will sort everything out if it's truly a big enough issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Grand Prix is a major popular tourism event.........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Indeed... his interest was strictly for business/networking purposes.

Funny thing, that. Not a rugby man so didn't have the background, apparently, to run a rugby franchise. The ARU is chock full of rugby men and they, apparently, don't have what it takes to run rugby in this country. So, if not a businessman and not a rugby man, then what is needed for the Rebels' and our salvation at this time?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Is this the generic statement to which you refer?

The Victorian Government welcomes the Melbourne Rebels’ commitment to remain part of the Super Rugby competition and not sell its licence.
A Super Rugby franchise in Melbourne is crucial for the growth of the game in Victoria, which is why the Government is working with the Melbourne Rebels, the Victorian Rugby Union and the Australian Rugby Union to ensure the club remains in the competition going forward.
The Victorian Government believes any decision to withdraw the Melbourne Rebels from the Super Rugby competition would be a retrograde step by the Australian Rugby Union.
Since the Melbourne Rebels were established in 2011, Victoria’s rugby union participation rates have increased by 97 per cent. In 2016, participation rates increased by 38 per cent to reach 15,829.
Melbourne has the fastest growing population in Australia and will soon become the nation’s most populous city. If the Australian Rugby Union wants to grow the game across the nation, Victoria and the Melbourne Rebels is an essential cornerstone of its strategy.
The governing body regularly turns to Melbourne for the big blockbuster events, such as British and Irish Lions tours and the Bledisloe Cup. Victoria has played a pivotal role in the evolution of the sport, so it would seem incongruent to withdraw the presence of ongoing, professional rugby from the State.
Rugby Union has made a tremendous contribution to the Victorian community. The VRU Pacific Island Emerging Leaders Program helps players with a Pacific Island background in areas of personal development, welfare and education.
Victoria is the sporting capital of the world and the nation’s leader for major events. Australian Rugby Union can only lay claim to being a truly national code in an international competition if Victoria is a key component of its plans.
The Government will continue to work with the Victorian Rugby Union, Melbourne Rebels and Australian Rugby Union.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah - a lot of double-speak in that statement. Certainly, no indication the Vic Govt would be putting in big dollars to keep the Rebels. If anything, the message is that the ARU must keep the Rebels alive, because of the old chestnuts, "Melbourne is the fastest growing city in Australia", and "Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world".

The size of the city is immaterial - it is the size of the market for the product that matters. Melbourne's rugby market is demonstrably small, probably the smallest of all capital city markets in the country. I don't see it ever being sustainable given the cultural attachment to AFL.

As far as the sporting capital of the world is concerned, that is a very insular and inward looking view by Melbourneites. Simply, they are words with no meaning.

I, for one, cannot see a state government committing the funds required to keep a rugby team viable when the population at large have no interest at all in the product.

T

TOCC

A state government funding a professional club team in Australia is unprecendted, it hasn't happened in recent history.. Governments fund big events like Grand Prix, Australian Open, Bledilose because of the tourism factor and international exposure. Rebels do not fit in this category..

In the past 20 years the only funding towards pro club teams has either been through community programs associated with the team, or funding for capital projects. There hasn't been a case of funding ongoing budget liabilities, which is the greatest risk with the Rebels..

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think you'll find the Vic government assistance is not so much directly for the Rebels but for Rugby in Victoria, including major Rugby tests to the state like Bledisloe and Lions.

T

TOCC

I think you'll find the Vic government assistance is not so much directly for the Rebels but for Rugby in Victoria, including major Rugby tests to the state like Bledisloe and Lions.

Yep, as you would expect... however this money goes to the ARU, as does the QLD and NSW Govt funding for hosting the Bledisloe and other Wallaby test. As you would expect, the Wallabies are an ARU asset, thus they gain the proceeds of selling the product.

So, it begs the question, when the Rebels post a financial deficit who will cover the costs, VRU have no money in the bank to cover it.. Do they then go hat in hand to the ARU?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
State government entities could provide sponsorship - it's about the only way i can see the Rebels getting any public cold hard cash.

There'd be some grants that all the other sports clubs in the state could.apply for

They could get some subsidies on stadium costs etc

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah - a lot of double-speak in that statement. Certainly, no indication the Vic Govt would be putting in big dollars to keep the Rebels. If anything, the message is that the ARU must keep the Rebels alive, because of the old chestnuts, "Melbourne is the fastest growing city in Australia", and "Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world".

The size of the city is immaterial - it is the size of the market for the product that matters. Melbourne's rugby market is demonstrably small, probably the smallest of all capital city markets in the country. I don't see it ever being sustainable given the cultural attachment to AFL.

As far as the sporting capital of the world is concerned, that is a very insular and inward looking view by Melbourneites. Simply, they are words with no meaning.

I, for one, cannot see a state government committing the funds required to keep a rugby team viable when the population at large have no interest at all in the product.
Well BR, I think Cam Clyne was a little backward looking when he stated - last week at Harlequin Club , that the Brumbies were saved from the cull because they had won a premiership. No reference was made to the size of the market for the product in Canberra - do you have any figures to illustrate the size of the market in Canberra, btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.