• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
So is Hawkins totally crocked ? A real pity about Asquith also. Asuume the outside backs are filling up with Fou and Koroibete

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
They're annoying losses, who's going to play fullback?

A backline with Pau, Koroibete, and an in-shape Sefa, suddenly starts looking a bit explosive. If Quade can be tempted down it could be a lot of fun to watch.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Disappointed to hear that Asquith is leaving. I was quite impressed with him in his three matches. Hawkins didn't get enough opportunities for me to really form a view. But the Rebels definitely suffered not having any real pressure on Debreczeni for his spot, unlike with Hegarty last year.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
They're annoying losses, who's going to play fullback?

A backline with Pau, Koroibete, and an in-shape Sefa, suddenly starts looking a bit explosive. If Quade can be tempted down it could be a lot of fun to watch.
I wouldn't mind seeing Hodge at fullback and Sefa in the centres.
English, Fou, Koroibete, Maddocks to fight it out for a spot on the wing/bench.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
New signing of another local player.

Melbourne hooker Jordan Uelese has become the third home grown player to sign his first professional Super Rugby contract with the Melbourne Rebels.
The 19-year-old, who plays for Melbourne University, follows in the footsteps of Sione Tuipulotu and Rob Leota to rise through Victorian Rugby’s elite pathway to sign a contract with the Melbourne Rebels.
It will be the first time in the Melbourne Rebels history that the club has three Victorians on the roster.
“We are pleased with Jordan’s development as a hooker over the last 12 months through the Melbourne Rising, Rebels Development Squad and Australian U20’s. He’s got an exciting future ahead of him,” Melbourne Rebels General Manager Rugby Operations Baden Stephenson said.
“Developing and providing opportunity for home grown talent remains a strategic priority for the Melbourne Rebels so we’re pleased the hard work by many people in Victorian Rugby is being recognised.”
The Victorian’s move from the back to the front row has paid dividends for the 189-centimentre and 122-kilogram hooker.
After helping the Melbourne Rebels U20’s to the inaugural Super Under 20’s Championship grand final, Uelese started all five of Australia’s games at the World Rugby U20’s Championship in Manchester.
“It’s a childhood dream come true to sign my first professional contract and even better to get it in my home town of Melbourne,” Uelese said.
“I am very grateful to the Rebels for the opportunity and especially my parents Tita and Sekaki Uelese for all they have done to get me this far, without them none of this would be possible.
“I think back in the days you had to move around but it’s awesome to be in Melbourne and shows there’s a genuine pathway to being a professional footy player.”
Uelese paid tribute to Leota and Tuipulotu for showing local Victorian Rugby players it’s possible.
“Rob and Sione gave me a genuine insight and drive to become a professional footballer,” Uelese said.
“They’ve set the standard and showed all the Victorians that it is possible to be a professional player in your home town.
“The Melbourne Rebels have definitely shown that belief in us.”
Uelese will line up for the Melbourne Rising in the underpinning National Rugby Championship (NRC) in 2016 after making his debut against the Canberra Vikings in Round 7 last year.
The Rising kick off their 2016 NRC campaign away against the Perth Spirit on Satuday 27 August. Melbourne Rising multi-game and single game ticket packages for the 2016 NRC are available here.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was part of the U20s scrum this year, which is one area (excluding that bloody number 8s hands) they were getting consistently right.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
He used to be a backrower, Nic Henderson and the VRU guys converted him a couple if years back. Played one NRC game last year as well

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm not sure about this one.

Mafi is an awesome player but I'm not sure another non-jumping back rower is going to suit us.

The only way I could see it working is if Timani moves to BSF. Then we could use two jumping locks and Sean as a third option. Otherwise teams will just slaughter us by kicking to touch all night and stealing the lineouts.

I'd probably have preferred the marquee spot to be used on a flyhalf.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think TT needs to seriously consider the balance of the forward pack, but, at the end of the day, Mafi's a genuinely brilliant player. Lovely hands, quick, destructive when going forward and great at the back of the scrum.

All of our big backrowers, signed or otherwise will learn a lot from him IMO. Lopeti, Fox, Rob, even Ta.

Don't know if any of the Japanese 10s would have been good signings or not. Still wish we'd kept Hegarty last year, particularly given Hawkins was only here for one year, but someone should turn up. Definitely a key to us having a better season than this year. If QC (Quade Cooper) is destined to go to the Reds, I'd love to chase Ben Lucas, who's left Montpellier to play in Japan. Great 10/15 option in and of itself, with the added bonus of covering 9, which would give a little more versatility within the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.