• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The Rebels have tweeted that Sefanaia Naivalu has re-signed. Bewdy. No details on length of contract.
Great news!

Now they just need to find a way to get the ball to him. I reckon he's had about five touches total in the last two weeks.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Contracted for 2017 and Beyond

Props
Cruze Ah-Nau (2017)
Jamie Hagan* (2017)
Toby Smith (2017)
Laurie Weeks (2017)

Hookers
James Hanson (2017)
Pat Leafa (2017)
Siliva Siliva (2017)

Locks
Steve Cummins (2017)
Sam Jeffries (2018)
Culum Retallick** (2017)
Lopeti Timani (2017)

Backrowers
Colby Fainga’a (2018)
Rob Leota (2019)
Sean McMahon (2017)
Jordy Reid (2017)

Scrum Halves
Ben Meehan (2017)
Nic Stirzaker (2017)

Fly Halves
Jack Debreczeni (2017)
Jack McGregor (2018) (New- NSW Schoolboys 2015)

Centers
Mitch Inman (2017)
Sione Tuipulotu (2019)

Back Three
Tom English (2018)
Marika Koroibete (2018) (New- Melbourne Storm)
Sefanaia Naivalu** (2017)
Jonah Placid (2017)

Utility Backs
Reece Hodge (2017)

Uncontracted for 2017

Props
Ryan Cocker**
Tim Metcher
Tom Moloney ***

Locks
Luke Jones (Bordeaux)

Backrowers
Harley Fox ****
Scott Fuglistaller
Adam Thomson*

Scrum Halves
Mick Snowden****

Fly Halves
Dan Hawkins ****
Dallan Murphy *****

Centers
Tamati Ellison*

Back 3
Cam Crawford
Dom Shipperley
Kotaro Matsushima *****

Utility Backs
Paul Asquith ****
Mike Harris (Lyon)

Rumoured Signings
Pama Fou – Winger – Souths (QLD)/Australia Sevens
Amanaki Mafi * - Number 8 – NTT Shining Arcs/Bath/Japan National Side

*- Foreign International
**- Foreign Development
***- Supplementary or Development Contract
****- EPS Contract
*****- Short term contract

Update 1, 18/05/16: Sione and Rob sign extensions to 2019
Update 2, 19/05/16: Koroibete departure from Storm announced
who is signed to replace Jones, Fuglistaller, Thompson & Fox or are they staying?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Jones and Thomson are definitely gone, the other two TBA.

There are rumours that Alex Toolis and Amenaki Mafi could be coming in.

I wonder if they will have a crack at pinching Coleman from the Force? AFAIK, he is still not contracted for 2017.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Fuglistaller + Ellison will be leaving, and Murphy has done an ACL in training.

Shipperley signed a 1 year extension just before he did his knee.

Force are going hard at Crawford.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
2017 we get 8 home games, my hopes are we get the Jaguares and one of the Lions/Sharks at home. That would mean SA trip would be Lions/Sharks and Kings. One trip across the Atlantic instead of the crazy travel this year.

I am assuming next year we have the Brumbies and Tahs twice.

Reds and Force only once, would expect one at home, than the 5 Kiwi's. Really need to lift against them, previous years we had not a bad strike rate against them at home all things considered. This year has been horrible and needs to be really looked at.

Home games:
1) Tahs
2) Brumbies
3) Reds/Force (Prefer Reds)
4) Chiefs
5) Crusaders
6) Blues
7) SA Conference (Jaguares)
8) SA Conference (Sharks)

Away:
1) Tahs
2) Brumbies
3) Reds/Force (Force away, good record in the west)
4) Clan
5) Canes
6) SA Conference (Kings)
7) SA Conference (Lions)

This fixture is stupid, too hard to even work out going off this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Rebels have signed Under 20s fullback Jack Maddocks for next season.

He was originally reported as being signed by the Tahs but that was incorrect.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Jeez I can just see a few of these young blokes coming back home to NSW some time in the next few years.

All well and good trying to sign the youngest players NSW has to offer but would think it's not the smartest strategy long term in the fact the club might struggle while they grow or if they get any injuries.

As well as a natural inclination to return to where they grew up in what should generally be a successful franchise (Waratahs).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jeez I can just see a few of these young blokes coming back home to NSW some time in the next few years.

All well and good trying to sign the youngest players NSW has to offer but would think it's not the smartest strategy long term in the fact the club might struggle while they grow or if they get any injuries.

As well as a natural inclination to return to where they grew up in what should generally be a successful franchise (Waratahs).

All teams will have some players of that sort of age signed up (generally on EPS contracts).

It's only natural that the Force and Rebels will need to sign more players not originally from their state.

They can't ignore young talent on the basis that they may one day decide to move back to their home state.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i can see both the rationale and strategy behind all these signings. the Rebels are attempting to build a cohort of younger players who will all/mostly all blossom and peak at the same time, to continue renewal every 5 years or so. peak median age for successful teams is about 26/27 which is what the Rebels will get in 2017. Continuous regeneration of the playing cohort is important and a good long term strategy. like all long term goals its also a risk if the investments don't measure up or flock off back home just as they are reaching maturity.

T

Train Without a Station

Yes Aussie Dominance, let the butthurt flow through you. The hide of a club to sign players. They should being doing their time in Shute Shield until they are poached by an NRL team!

For every Nick Phipps who can't wait to get back at the first opportunity, there's a Luke Jones that stays for about 70 caps.

They don't all return home. And in fact, many don't. What other Rebels have left the franchise to return home?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For every Nick Phipps who can't wait to get back at the first opportunity, there's a Luke Jones that stays for about 70 caps.

They don't all return home. And in fact, many don't. What other Rebels have left the franchise to return home?

Phipps also played 47 games for the Rebels.

If all your signings played that many games you'd be happy.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
It's not even worth talking to you TWAS. Was there anything ever mentioned about Shute Shield?

Moving on.

--------------------------------------------------

I can see the strategy but I would think in most instances if they become long term Wallabies they play where they want which is generally where they come from due to the ARU pay structure.

I understand not every year produces good long term players for the club out of the Melbourne system but hopefully this doesn't become like the South African Force issue.

I confess though a player is more likely to stay in Melbourne than Perth from the Eastern States.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they become Wallabies whilst at the Rebels then surely it proves a highly valuable signing for the Rebels over however long they can keep them.

If over time the Rebels build more success it will make it much easier to keep players. Players want to stay places where they like their teammates and the culture.

Aside from the off field financial issues it certainly seems that the Rebels are building in the right direction.

The number of local players the Rebels have signed continues to increase. The same is true of the Western Force. It just takes time and there is no point rushing it when there aren't players good enough to sign.

In regards to the Force, DHP became the first WA born player to play for the Wallabies since John Welborn.

Status
Not open for further replies.