• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I understand not every year produces good long term players for the club out of the Melbourne system but hopefully this doesn't become like the South African Force issue.

It may have escaped your notice but Melbourne are essentially copying the recruitment strategy the Force used in the first 5 or 6 years. That is recruit highly talented junior players and hope they develop into long term stars. We had the likes of PAE, Siliva Siliva, Luke Jones, David Pocock, James O'Connor, etc recruited at 18-19 years old and spending time over here. As soon as the Rebels started up, that avenue practically closed up because Melbourne is closer to home, probably a more desirable place to live for young people and there is less travel demand.

I'll grant you that some of the South African players recruited by the Force have been dire, but it isn't like there are a multitude of other options at a price we can afford. There are a handful of South Africans in the Future Force who competed well in the World Club 10s- perhaps these players won't be such a bad option.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
THE Rebels’ capacity to recruit quality players hasn’t nosedived, however.​
Quade Cooper remains a decent chance to end up in Melbourne and with every province interested, the Rebels won the race to sign NSW and Australian under 20s fullback Jack Maddocks.​
And Australian Sevens star Pama Fou has also agreed to join the Rebels next season. Fou is currently getting over the heartbreak of slipping in the shower and doing his ACL, which has ruled him out of the Rio Olympics.​

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
ALL is not well inside the Rebels stockade.​
There’s been talk this week that Melbourne players have grown so dispirited under the harsh regime of coach Tony McGahan that a meeting with a senior Rebels official was held recently to air their grievances.​
McGahan is the hardest of taskmasters, and he runs a very tight ship. Not unlike Michael Cheika at the Waratahs, McGahan has final say in almost everything at the club and decisions aren’t always popular.​
McGahan’s old-school methodology has seen four assistant coaches come and go in two years and while players were content to wear McGahan’s abrasive way last year because they were a club on the rise, we hear the collective mood has darkened this season.​
Watch this space.​

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
ALL is not well inside the Rebels stockade.

There’s been talk this week that Melbourne players have grown so dispirited under the harsh regime of coach Tony McGahan that a meeting with a senior Rebels official was held recently to air their grievances.

McGahan is the hardest of taskmasters, and he runs a very tight ship. Not unlike Michael Cheika at the Waratahs, McGahan has final say in almost everything at the club and decisions aren’t always popular.

McGahan’s old-school methodology has seen four assistant coaches come and go in two years and while players were content to wear McGahan’s abrasive way last year because they were a club on the rise, we hear the collective mood has darkened this season.

Watch this space.
Dispirited players = loss after loss = vote of no confidence in coach

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
ALL is not well inside the Rebels stockade.

There’s been talk this week that Melbourne players have grown so dispirited under the harsh regime of coach Tony McGahan that a meeting with a senior Rebels official was held recently to air their grievances.

McGahan is the hardest of taskmasters, and he runs a very tight ship. Not unlike Michael Cheika at the Waratahs, McGahan has final say in almost everything at the club and decisions aren’t always popular.

McGahan’s old-school methodology has seen four assistant coaches come and go in two years and while players were content to wear McGahan’s abrasive way last year because they were a club on the rise, we hear the collective mood has darkened this season.

Watch this space.

I know from a former Munster and Ireland player that when he was at Munster the players lost faith pretty early in his time as head coach. Part of the reason I never wanted him as a coach, and to be honest don't think finishing 12th should be good enough to keep his job.

I don't really blame the players with this one, everyone can see some out of form players are consistently shown favouritism over the last two seasons. How our season could have gone with Hegarty was still around to put pressure on JD at 10. If Stirzaker was not rushed back into the side and earned his start.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
TALENTED MADDOCKS OPTS FOR REBELS OVER CRICKET

Maddocks-700x249.jpg

The prodigiously talented Jack Maddocks has opted to pursue a career in Super Rugby over cricket with the Australian international signing a two-year contract with the Melbourne Rebels from 2017.
The Rebels won the race to land Australian Rugby’s rising star after the 19-year-old played a staring role in the Australian U20’s campaign, including a man of the match performance in the victory over New Zealand prior to the tournament.
The New South Welshman, a first-grade cricketer on scholarship with Sydney University, is the only Australian player to play every minute of the 2016 World Rugby U20’s Championship, appearing in all five games at fullback.
“Jack is a naturally gifted sportsman and quality young man who has a number of attributes that will fit very well at our Club,” Melbourne Rebels General Manager Rugby Operations Baden Stephenson said.

“The Rebels, under head coach Tony McMahon, have a track record of fast tracking the development of promising talent so we are thrilled that he’s opted to kick off his very promising Rugby career with the Melbourne Rebels.”
After focusing on his studies during his final year at Scots College, Maddocks has risen through the ranks since returning to the 15-man game.
Maddocks’ form at fullback for NSW Gen Blue in the Super 20’s Championship saw the Eastern Suburbs product called into the Australian U20’s team for the two-game series against the Kiwis followed by the U20’s world championship in Manchester.
The batsman is hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Wallabies legends George Gregan, Matt Burke and John Eales, who chose Rugby over promising underage cricket careers.
“It’s really exciting and humbling to be given this opportunity by the Rebels,” Maddocks said.
“Rugby has been a passion of mine growing up and now to be able to play with and against the top players in the world is a challenge I’m really looking forward to.”
Maddocks’ said the positive feedback from the Rebels players (Sione Tuipulotu, Rob Leota, Harley Fox, Jordan Uelese) in the Australian U20’s reinforced his decision to join the Rebels.
“The Rebels growing success on and off the field is something which attracted me to the club,” Maddocks said.
“I’ve made a lot of great friends throughout my time in the Australian U20’s team who are at the Rebels and they can’t speak highly enough of the club and strong culture, which made my decision a lot easier.”
Super Rugby returns following a four-week international hiatus on Saturday 2 July when the Rebels host their final home game of the season against the Stormers at AAMI Park, Melbourne, from 7.30pm (AEST). Tickets, from $25 for an adult, are available here.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Meanwhile, talk of unrest at the Melbourne Rebels over Tony McGahan’s coaching style appear to be completely wide of the mark. The rumours stem from reports leaked to the media by a disgruntled player manager of a meeting senior players Tamati Ellison and Scott Fuglistaller held with Baden Stephenson, the rugby operations general manager, last week. Yet rather than plotting a coaching overthrow, the meeting was intended as a debrief to get some parting advice from the two players who are leaving at the end of the season. And the meeting was set up and organised by McGahan himself.
This is by Wayne smith in the Australian . In which case, all is good at the Rebels, there is no dispirit amongst the players, they fully support their coach and I , as always, wish them well this Saturday night.

Reactions: dru

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
This might be a bit of stale news but Edinburgh have confirmed that Alex Toolis is leaving to return to Australia.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Bill Meakes to the Rebels? Big unit, and would help fill the void left by Ellison, Harris.

Would be a great fit, but Nick Taylor reporting in the west australian that he's going to the Force...

Rebels could definitely do with prioritising another centre though...

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Last games for Rebels, including those in the stands, to my knowledge (or at least in contract limbo):
Paul Asquith, Ryan Cocker, Cam Crawford, Tamati Ellison, Scott Fuglistaller, Jamie Hagan, Mike Harris, Dan Hawkins, Luke Jones, Kotaro Matsushima, Tim Metcher, Mick Snowden, Adam Thomson

*snip
I've quoted your post over from the match thread.

I'm pretty sure Hagan is signed through till the end of 2017.

Any chance for any of Asquith, Crawford or Hawkins to get another crack? I thought Crawford was probably playing as well as he ever had until the injury and Asquith and Hawkins seemed good in their limited time.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The injury reports provides a little more insight into the lists:

A hamstring injury has seen fullback Mike Harris play his last game for the Melbourne Rebels after being ruled out for the remaining outing of the season against the Queensland Reds on Friday night in Brisbane.

The 28-year-old, who joins French club Lyon at the end of the season, was substituted in the seventh minute against the Crusaders in Christchurch on Saturday – prematurely ending a frustrating season of injuries for the back.
Rebels lock Luke Jones has recovered from a concussion while second row partner Lopeti Timani will continue to be monitored for a second-week after suffering a head knock against the Stormers.
Captain Nic Stirzaker and Laurie Weeks both successfully returned from ankle and hamstring injuries, respectively, against the Crusaders.

The Melbourne Rebels injury update following Round 16 v Crusaders brought to you by Recover Sports Medicine:
Lopeti Timani (Concussion): Test
Mike Harris (Hamstring): Season
Kotaro Matsushima (Hamstring): Season
Dan Hawkins (Back): Season
Dom Shipperley (Knee): Season
Cam Crawford (Broken Hand): Season

Tamati Ellison (calf): Season

I think this is the first time the Rebels have publically stated that Mikey Mike is off to Lyon, or the first time that I've noticed it. Even though, with the help of our internet friends, have known for a long time.

Interesting to know that Kotro Matsushima is off too.

Pity that Tamati couldn't recover in time for this one. I know he was busting rings to try and get ready for it. A shame.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
^ Matsu was only a short term signing as injury cover. AFAIK, he was only ever going to stay for the balance of this season.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Asquith, Snowden and Hawkins all worth another go. cam Crawford might be surplus with Koroibete coming, but might be tried as an OC ?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I liked Hawkins in the brief game time he got. Think in the centers with Hodge could be a really good partnership.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I've quoted your post over from the match thread.

I'm pretty sure Hagan is signed through till the end of 2017.

Any chance for any of Asquith, Crawford or Hawkins to get another crack? I thought Crawford was probably playing as well as he ever had until the injury and Asquith and Hawkins seemed good in their limited time.

My understanding is that there is an agreement with Hagan to cut the contract short. Call it Lahiff Mk II. Disappointing to waste a year on an ineligible (Wallaby) prop on your bench when you could have been developing an Australian in the same position off the bench, IMO. The silver lining is that it may provide Tim Metcher with a stay of execution after a wretched run with injury.

I also liked what I saw of Hawkins, so I hope they re-consider. I see no value in re-contracting Snowden as a 28 year old 3rd choice scrumhalf, while I'm personally very disappointed Crawford will be turfed from a 3rd club when clearly he has a lot of ability.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so if you were QC (Quade Cooper) sitting in the stands last night, where would you go next year Reds or Rebels ? who has the more potential in the back division and more importantly who has the forwards to provide go forward ball. tough decision (money aside)

Status
Not open for further replies.