• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
TK doesn't deserve a bench spot based on current form.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Moore is keeping Hansen off the bench, boot him too. Lame duck slipper.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
Is Berrick Barnes completely out of the picture? If you have BB at 10, JD at 15, there a few problems solved I reckon.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Is Berrick Barnes completely out of the picture? If you have BB at 10, JD at 15, there a few problems solved I reckon.

Would not be bad on a two year deal, really need a back line leader to step up. Have got plenty of caps but no stand out leader going into 2016.

T

TOCC

It sounds as though Berick Barnes has committed his playing future to Japan with an intent to transition into coaching post retirement.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Samuel Figg, worth a look at. He's absolutely killing it at NRC level and deserves a look. At 194 and 100kgs (former sevens player so he has kgs to add) with a good skillset i think he could be very valuable.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think there are a few backrow players worth a look in the comp.

Sinclair, Figg, Ward, the City 8, Perry.

Think with Mafi coming, and 6 locks on the books (Toolis, Cummins, Retallick, Day, Jeffries and Timani) we might see us stick with the forwards we've already had this year.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
Think there are a few backrow players worth a look in the comp.

Sinclair, Figg, Ward, the City 8, Perry.

Think with Mafi coming, and 6 locks on the books (Toolis, Cummins, Retallick, Day, Jeffries and Timani) we might see us stick with the forwards we've already had this year.

A real shame, he looks to be the goods. With Jeffries seeming to take his game to another level do we think Timani should migrate to the back of the scrum?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah i think either Toolis or Timani will mostly play in the back row next year. McMahon, Fainga'a, Reid and Mafi to rotate through 7 & 8, with Toolis and Timani at 6, Fox and Leota to be blooded off the bench as needed.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Reckon so too. Based on exposed form, the presumption of fitness, guesses at what Chieks will request, and the lack of time the boys playing in Japan will have with the squad, the forward pack I'd be thinking about at the start of the season is:

1. Toby
2. Chibba
3. Weeksey
4. Big Red
5. Toolis the Lesser
6. Big T
7. Colby
8. Seany

16. Pat
17. Cruze
18. Hagan/Metch
19. Day
20. Mafi
21. Jordy

Presuming a well covered backline.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The Rebs back five has sweet depth next year. The question will be what to do with Mafi and Timani. Mafi is a wide running athlete, where Timani is more a tight-loose bruiser who is more than handy pushing a prop. It'll be interesting to see how they manage it

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The rebels actually have the depth to play a horses for courses when it comes to forward pack selection. However the go to line up should be:

1. Smith
  2. Chibbs
  3. Weeks
  4. Jefferies
  5. Day
  6. Timani
  7. Reid
  8. McMahon

Mafi appearances at the world cup suggested he was more effective coming on in second half to skittle tired defenders. Day was brought in to be a lineout general so unless Toolis can show some aptitude here I believe Day will get the nod ahead of him. But either way a bench of Colby, Toolis, Mafi is quite solid.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The rebels actually have the depth to play a horses for courses when it comes to forward pack selection. However the go to line up should be:

1. Smith
  2. Chibbs
  3. Weeks
  4. Jefferies
  5. Day
  6. Timani
  7. Reid
  8. McMahon

Mafi appearances at the world cup suggested he was more effective coming on in second half to skittle tired defenders. Day was brought in to be a lineout general so unless Toolis can show some aptitude here I believe Day will get the nod ahead of him. But either way a bench of Colby, Toolis, Mafi is quite solid.

Think yours is closer to what will be the eventual line-up, but I picked the early one, before the boys playing in Japan have meshed with the line up.

Plus I like Colby for his Passing game, and "cleaner" turnovers. No complaints if Reid is chosen though, just comes down to personal preference.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

1. Smith
  2. Chibbs
  3. Weeks
  4. Jefferies
  5. Day
  6. Timani
  7. Reid
  8. McMahon

I like this one too. Despite all of Colby's talents, think he will struggle to ursurp Jordy from the starting side. He's killing it for the Rising.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't. Colby is close to the most underrated player in Australia. He's the most well-rounded 7 in the country, certainly has the best linking game. As good as Reid has been, he's still McMahon-lite at the moment. Would like to see him start adding some strings to his bow.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't. Colby is close to the most underrated player in Australia. He's the most well-rounded 7 in the country, certainly has the best linking game. As good as Reid has been, he's still McMahon-lite at the moment. Would like to see him start adding some strings to his bow.

I rate Colby, thought he was going to be the next big 7 whilst he was at the Brumbies. He was favoured ahead of Hooper back then too, few injuries set him back (as well as being behind G.Smith and Poey) and for some reason hasn't seemed to excel at the Rebels.

Hope he can get some solid game-time next year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Colby's problem is bloody injury, only managed 9 games last season and missing the NRC.

Jordy on the other hand played every game during the season and has been Rising's best on ground 3 out of 4 games so far. His playing well and is defiantly the most improved in 2016.

Fox is putting his hand up, played well on the weekend and will be interesting to see what he can do in pre-season.

Also liked English at 13 on the weekend, really think he should be left there as he seems to be a confidence player and getting a lot of the ball in helping him. Was a great flick pass to Placid for the try.

Status
Not open for further replies.