• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think that was me. He did take part in the Vic 7s though.

Maybe he wants to spend a year playing for Endeavor Hills then trying to make the Rising (fingers crossed).
Ok, then, think someone did.

I misremember things all the time though.

Mostly Forums or Tabletop RPGs though, so it hasn't hurt me bad either.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
my choices would be, TT will have his view and his way no doubt.

1 smith
2 hanson
3 weeks
4 & 5 jeffries/day/cummins/toolis - take any two and a third on the bench

6 reid
7 mc mahon
8 timani
9 stirzaker
10 debrezcini
11 koribete
12 tuipolotu
13 inman
14 naivalu
15 hodge

16 leafa
17 ah nau
18 metcher (does lomax play THP ?)
19 one of the other second rows
20 fainga'a
21 meehan
22 english
23 shipperley

Meehan could easily play 10 and Debrezcini at 15. i am not a fan of Placid, doesn't seem to have come on as much as one would have expected. Inman at 12 and Shipperley or English at 13 are other options, the Rebels are really going to miss Ellison. i will reserve judgment on Amanaki Mafi till i've seen him play a few games, but would presume he will eventually be the no 8 with Timani moving to 6 or 5. all of course depends on the injury gods. i will be interested to see if either of the "Jacks" progresses rapidly enough to be Super ready in 2017.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon only the front row is anything like a sure thing.

We are very light on in the halves.

1. Smith 2. Hanson 3. Weeks
4. Jeffries 5. Cummins
6. Timani 7. Fainga'a 8. McMahon (c)
9. Stirzacker 10. Meehan
11. English 12. Inman 13. Naivalu 14. Koribete
15. Hodge

16. Leafa 17. Lomax/Ah Nau 18. Hagan
19. Toolis 20. Reid/Mafi
21. Debreczeni 22/23. Shipperley/Fou/Tuipulotu/Maddocks

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If we get a fullback or fly half everything changes. Else (my team):

Hodge, Koroibete, Sefa, Inman, English, JD, Stirzaker, Toby, Chibba, Weeks, Day, Jeffries, McMahon, Colby, Timani

Res: Leafa, Cruze/Moloney, Hagan, Toolis, Mafi, Jordy, Meehan, Shipperley

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Reid played every game this year, would expect him to start over Colby.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
^

Gents, I wouldn't be getting my hopes up about Day being a starter.

While I was away I watched a fair bit of the Top League. I'll admit, I only saw Day play the once and he came off the bench for Verblitz with about twenty to go. It could have been just a bad day (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) but I really don't know what they saw in him.

I'll tell you who is ripping it up in Japan - JJ Taulagi, he's a stand out in a fairly ordinary team.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Reid played every game this year, would expect him to start over Colby.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
I think a back row with LT and Sean would be better balanced with Colby at seven rather than Jordy. Close call between them though.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll tell you who is ripping it up in Japan - JJ Taulagi, he's a stand out in a fairly ordinary team.

JJ is *brace for it* the 'highest ceiling' Australian eligible winger. He could be our Milner-Skudder.

Will he? Probably not, gets injured a lot, but in terms of athletic talent and 'vision', he could do.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
JJ is *brace for it* the 'highest ceiling' Australian eligible winger. He could be our Milner-Skudder.

Will he? Probably not, gets injured a lot, but in terms of athletic talent and 'vision', he could do.
Big call comparing him to M-S but he is certainly killing it ATM playing at full back.

In terms of quality, I'd say the Top League is close enough to the NRC. JJ is standing out like Simone and Perese did here and a few are already talking them up as future Wallabies.

This should probably be in an ex-Reds thread.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
is Hagan stil about ? I think Fainga'a coming off the bench with 20 + to go will create havoc with the opposition on turnovers, which by the way seem increasingly difficult to win, either outright or as a penalty. change of emphasis by refs ?

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
I hope they English at 13, had a ripper NRC and looked very good at 13. Having Sefa and Marika on the wings is a very exciting prospect. Be interesting to see what they do with Bip, thought he showed promise at 10 imo

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tuipolotu isn't 20 until February. Does this mean he is eligibility for the U20 WC? He's certainly Under 20 during the Super 20s.

Either way, I think we can baby him for another year and give him late game minutes and the odd start.

If I was a betting man, I'd say our backline is:
9. Stirzaker
10. Debrez
11. Koribete
12. Hodge
13. Inman
14. Naivulu
15. English

It's probably our best too, presuming Stirzaker and Debrezini get back to some better form.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
is Hagan stil about ? I think Fainga'a coming off the bench with 20 + to go will create havoc with the opposition on turnovers, which by the way seem increasingly difficult to win, either outright or as a penalty. change of emphasis by refs ?

So true. Attacking teams seem to be able to have players off their feet protecting the tackled player and the ball at any ruck that isn't 5-10m out from the try line and directly in front of the posts. Then most refs seem to be inclined to use the whistle against them. I really wish they would all go back to consistently penalising players of both sides going off their feet at the breakdown.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Tuipolotu isn't 20 until February. Does this mean he is eligibility for the U20 WC? He's certainly Under 20 during the Super 20s.

Either way, I think we can baby him for another year and give him late game minutes and the odd start.

If I was a betting man, I'd say our backline is:
9. Stirzaker
10. Debrez
11. Koribete
12. Hodge
13. Inman
14. Naivulu
15. English

It's probably our best too, presuming Stirzaker and Debrezini get back to some better form.
two things, if you are good enough your'e old enough
secondly i don't think any team can afford a back three without anyone who can kick, one of Debrezcini, Hodge, Placid or Shipperley (?) will have to be there to cover the Fiji frat brothers. English is a very versatile player but not a noted kicker of the rugby ball.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
two things, if you are good enough your'e old enough
secondly i don't think any team can afford a back three without anyone who can kick, one of Debrezcini, Hodge, Placid or Shipperley (?) will have to be there to cover the Fiji frat brothers. English is a very versatile player but not a noted kicker of the rugby ball.
Well, firstly, I don't think he's better than Inman or Hodge yet and never I said wouldn't pick him because of age. He'll overtake Mitch in time but the Rebels still can squeeze a year or two out of Mitch's excellent defence in the 13 channel and decent metres in attack.

Secondly, you would do what every team in this situation does and shuffle your defensive roles to suit your needs, having Debrezini and Stirzaker cover back when your opposition has the ball in their red zone and are most likely to kick. No team attacks or defends in roles matching the jersey on their back all of the time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, firstly, I don't think he's better than Inman or Hodge yet and never I said wouldn't pick him because of age. He'll overtake Mitch in time but the Rebels still can squeeze a year or two out of Mitch's excellent defence in the 13 channel and decent metres in attack.

Secondly, you would do what every team in this situation does and shuffle your defensive roles to suit your needs, having Debrezini and Stirzaker cover back when your opposition has the ball in their red zone and are most likely to kick. No team attacks or defends in roles matching the jersey on their back all of the time.
10 continues to be a worry and less sure about debrezini there and perhaps better fullback option. Recruitment of a quality 10 or youngster with potential to be a quality 10 should be a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
10 continues to be a worry and less sure about debrezini there and perhaps better fullback option. Recruitment of a quality 10 or youngster with potential to be a quality 10 should be a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 23 I think Jack D is still that high potential young player, and even if he isn't we already have that youngster next year in the even younger Jack McGregor.

Status
Not open for further replies.