• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
His rookie year was 2014 where he played a couple of games at fullback (so in a way, that's one to your argument). I'd say 2015 was quite a good year for him, PARTICULARLY with the boot but I suppose this is the point of contention.

Points to me are - Meehan would be targeted at 10 and it would be a mess (for reasons above), one good year and one bad year does not make a convincing trend line, and that conventional wisdom is definitely on my side.

I don't think we can say TT has got recruitment wrong, we don't know what is happening behind the scenes and outcomes don't necessarily reflect the process. I can't really think of any Aussie Super Rugby ready 10s floating around - maybe Berrick Barnes but that's just conjecture.

Also - I think the reps still have roster spots left.

Anyway, agree to disagree because it comes down to opinions on the quality of JD's 2015 play and not provable facts.

The Rebels options at 10 are Debreczeni and Meehan (the back-up 9). I don't think there is anyone else in the background. You have gotten rid of Hegarty who has more potential (IMO) than either of them at 10, rid of Hawkins and at least one other whose name escapes me.

If Stirzacker and Debreczeni get injured togther for just one week what do you do??? You've got no one. Do you call up Lloyd Johannsen? Select Jonah Placid at 10? Run out with 14 players? Have I totally stuffed up and forgotten someone really good who is already in the squad?

The problem is not solely Debreczeni's form; its squad balance and the coaching staff's inability to groom young 10's to step up to Super level.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I wanted Hawkins to get another year, as with the year before when I wanted Hegarty to get another year.

I still think Hodge could be a goer at 10...

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rebels options at 10 are Debreczeni and Meehan (the back-up 9). I don't think there is anyone else in the background. You have gotten rid of Hegarty who has more potential (IMO) than either of them at 10, rid of Hawkins and at least one other whose name escapes me.

If Stirzacker and Debreczeni get injured togther for just one week what do you do??? You've got no one. Do you call up Lloyd Johannsen? Select Jonah Placid at 10? Run out with 14 players? Have I totally stuffed up and forgotten someone really good who is already in the squad?

The problem is not solely Debreczeni's form; its squad balance and the coaching staff's inability to groom young 10's to step up to Super level.

I think it's pretty obvious that our backups in that situation are Hodge (the utility) and Jack McGregor (who was signed a long time ago).

This post is a tad alarmist.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At a pinch Jack Maddocks can also play 10. As a 18/19 year old he was playing First Grade Shute Shield games for Eastern Suburbs at 10.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
This post is a tad alarmist.
but, nevertheless correct.
there is NO super level 10 in the squad apart from JD. losing Hegarty and Hawkins in successive years is bad management, the former is inexcusable imo, Hawkins was busted i believe, but played ITM. unless they have a cunning masterplan, Hawko is right, if one or both Stirzaker and Debrezcini get injured the Rebels are in the poo.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
but, nevertheless correct.
there is NO super level 10 in the squad apart from JD. losing Hegarty and Hawkins in successive years is bad management, the former is inexcusable imo, Hawkins was busted i believe, but played ITM. unless they have a cunning masterplan, Hawko is right, if one or both Stirzaker and Debrezcini get injured the Rebels are in the poo.
I strongly disagree.

We were fine when Stizaker was injured last year, Debrezcini maybe but Hodge looked fine at 10 when he played there.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes the Rebels can cover Stirzaker, but not JD nor both. the point remains, the recruiting team have so far failed to find an adequate back up 10, i presume they have tried and not succeeded, but there is still 3 1/2 months till kick off.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Signing announced - Jackson Garden-Bachop, a very promising 10 who started for Wellington in the NPC.

Maybe we can park the doom and gloom for a while.

FYI - this kick was a big deal because it was for the Lomu memorial trophy.

Reactions: mst

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not my preferred signing, but a good one nonetheless.

Stand off who can play fullback. Good goalkicker. Smart head, at least from what I saw for the Lions. Little bit younger than preferred, but probably suits the squad we're building.

Alleviates a little bit of concern.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
from what i saw of the ITM cup he played pretty well, and fair pedigree. one hopes he wants to stay and play for a few years rather than get exposure and then back to NZ and the AB's - a more likely scenario.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2017 Melbourne Rebels Squad:
Cruze Ah-Nau, Steve Cummins, Dominic Day (Toyota Verblitz, JAP), Jack Debreczeni, Tom English, Colby Fainga’a, Pama Fou (Australian Sevens), Harley Fox, Jackson Garden-Bachop (Wellington Lions, NZ), James Hanson, Reece Hodge, Mitch Inman, Sam Jeffries, Marika Koroibete (Melbourne Storm, NRL), Pat Leafa, Rob Leota, Tyrel Lomax (Tuggeranong, ACT), Jack McGregor (Gordon, NSW), Sean McMahon, Jack Maddocks (Easts, NSW), Amanaki Mafi (NTT Communications, JAP), Ben Meehan, Tim Metcher, Tom Moloney, Sefa Naivalu, Jonah Placid, Jordy Reid, Culum Retallick, Dominic Shipperley, Siliva Siliva, Toby Smith, Mick Snowden, Nic Stirzaker, Lopeti Timani, Alex Toolis (Edinburgh, UK), Sione Tuipulotu, Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Uni, VIC) Laurie Weeks.
https://melbournerebels.com/2016/11/04/rebels-finalise-squad-with-all-black-pedigree-garden-bachop/

T

Train Without a Station

I always thought that signing Jordan was a poor signing from their POV.

Not because of Jordan. He is actually exactly the right 3rd hooker signing, but just because they already had 3 hookers signed for 2017.

I get the impression that either Siliva or Pat won't be re-signed and they just wanted to lock Jordan in now as they do value him the same as the other Super Rugby teams value their 3rd hookers, and didn't want to see him snapped up elsewhere. Also I'd imagine they feel with a professional pre-season he may be Super Rugby ready in 2017.

I'm guessing that they prefer to have a slightly unbalanced squad where they miss injury cover in another position, over the prospect of whoever is coming up the year behind Jordan being their 3rd hooker in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.