• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe he did, what about JD? Is he next? What about Pat? Who else looked poor last season? Are they all on the chopping block?

Are they established players recruited in the latter half of their career? Or are the blokes you named in the former half of their career and Rebels developed?

False equivalencies look like great arguments until you actually consider them.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Dear Rebels,

Please assist the Wallabies in making Hodge a truly great long-term international inside centre by playing him there (and not at 10, 13, 11/14 or 15) throughout the entirety of the 2017 Super rugby season.

Sincerely,
The Australian Rugby Public.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
So the Rebels can play him at scrummie? :rolleyes:

Amendment: nor at 9.

I included 11,14,13 and 15 as he played in all those positions last season, and 10 because people have been throwing around nonsense suggestions in the last few pages that he could be played there if Debreczeni doesn't pull up his socks.

He's a 12 and should be treated like one.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think there's a person here who doesn't think he should be playing at 12.

There are a number, myself included, who think he may end up needing to spend some time at 15 or 10, or 13 because our squads spread of experience and/or current ability is concentrated on the wings.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dear Rebels,

Please assist the Wallabies in making Hodge a truly great long-term international inside centre by playing him there (and not at 10, 13, 11/14 or 15) throughout the entirety of the 2017 Super rugby season.

Sincerely,
The Australian Rugby Public.

I also saw him play on the side of the scrum in gold this year.

;)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
What become pretty obvious when you look at international players is their club playing them at 13 isn't going to make him a worst international 12, and vice versa.

Particularly considering that different teams see the role of a 12 and a 13 differently, for example Conrad Smith (arguably the best 13 of the last 5ish years) would be much closer to a 12 than a 13 in the Wallaby system.

I'm not saying the Rebels are necessarily like this, but it's worth considering.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like him as a 13 to be honest

There's plenty of merit to that, though the fact he's an unselfish passer at 12 is good for those outside him compared to a Kerevi or a Kuridrani who (whilst very good) will often look to take contact before passing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's plenty of merit to that, though the fact he's an unselfish passer at 12 is good for those outside him compared to a Kerevi or a Kuridrani who (whilst very good) will often look to take contact before passing.

which I think can work from first play (at 12). I like a 13 who can set up his outside men.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can't find the post but a few weeks ago someone on here alluded to some kind of imminent crisis meeting between ARU & the Rebels ownership. Did the meeting take place? If so, what was the outcome or was it not made public?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Kilisimasi Aholelei (Power House), Jeremy Burrill (Melbourne Unicorns), Oisin Clarken (Moorabbin), Richard Clift, Ben Collins, Declan Cox (Melbourne University), Tom Da Forno, Nicholas Donghi (Northern), Austin Faamausili (Endeavour Hills); Dylan Faamausili (Melbourne Unicorns), Vaauli Faamausili (Moorabbin), Sunia Finefueaki (Melbourne University), Shaedyn Folau (Endeavour Hills), Ayden Hurst (Melbourne University), Callum Kent (Harlequins), Manaia Koko (Harlequins), Mark Lalotoa (Moorabbin), Andreas Livadaras (Harlequins), Jay Lualua (Moorabbin), Alex Niedzwiecki (Footscray), Jake O’Brien (Melbourne University), Hunter Paisami (Harlequins), Jowell Samatua (Moorabbin), Tana Savea (Melbourne Unicorns), Michael Sega (Northern), Timothy Sippel, Katinali Tai (Wyndham City), Afi Taivai (Endeavour Hills), Faasolo Tuala (Endeavour Hills), Sione Tui (Power House), Elliot Turner (Box Hill), Nathan Tusagi Taaga (Box Hill), Mahe Vailanu (Harlequins), Hinckley Halo Vaovasa-Tuiala (Northern), Sean Wepener (Moorabbin), Jack Willoughby (Harlequins).
https://melbournerebels.com/2016/11/07/rebels-name-2017-u20s-squad/
Rebels U20s named, squad doesn't contain the 5 Pros, but has a players to be added proviso.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kilisimasi Aholelei (Power House), Jeremy Burrill (Melbourne Unicorns), Oisin Clarken (Moorabbin), Richard Clift, Ben Collins, Declan Cox (Melbourne University), Tom Da Forno, Nicholas Donghi (Northern), Austin Faamausili (Endeavour Hills); Dylan Faamausili (Melbourne Unicorns), Vaauli Faamausili (Moorabbin), Sunia Finefueaki (Melbourne University), Shaedyn Folau (Endeavour Hills), Ayden Hurst (Melbourne University), Callum Kent (Harlequins), Manaia Koko (Harlequins), Mark Lalotoa (Moorabbin), Andreas Livadaras (Harlequins), Jay Lualua (Moorabbin), Alex Niedzwiecki (Footscray), Jake O’Brien (Melbourne University), Hunter Paisami (Harlequins), Jowell Samatua (Moorabbin), Tana Savea (Melbourne Unicorns), Michael Sega (Northern), Timothy Sippel, Katinali Tai (Wyndham City), Afi Taivai (Endeavour Hills), Faasolo Tuala (Endeavour Hills), Sione Tui (Power House), Elliot Turner (Box Hill), Nathan Tusagi Taaga (Box Hill), Mahe Vailanu (Harlequins), Hinckley Halo Vaovasa-Tuiala (Northern), Sean Wepener (Moorabbin), Jack Willoughby (Harlequins).
https://melbournerebels.com/2016/11/07/rebels-name-2017-u20s-squad/
Rebels U20s named, squad doesn't contain the 5 Pros, but has a players to be added proviso.

I believe this squad is missing 10+ players (the 5 pros and some preseason invitees).

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
I hope the Rebels play Timani at 8 next season!!
Amen to that. I've always seen him as an eight since he dominated the BRC in that position. Lock seemed to reduce him. I'm just waiting for Dumbledore to dispute it. I wish the rebels recruitment team would focus the international spot on a lock rather than the 8s that keep pushing him out of there.

Hodge at 12 is also ideal IMHO. Our midfield got their Mojo back last with him there and Inman at 13. The question is who do we put at fullback unless Crawford gets a recall?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
He plays lock because he's a good scrummager and because it allows him to attack in the middle channel.

Maybe the Rebels can just play him at 8 and rearrange their attack so he can sit in the middle.

Time will tell.

T

Train Without a Station

He plays Lock because the Rebels have recruited F-all locks.

That's why when Thomson was out, Jeffries started games. Thomson was their lock in the LO and Timani in the scrum.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I remember looking at the 2014 team and thinking:

1. Toby
2. Shota
3. Weeks
4. Pyle
5. Neville
6. Jones
7. Fainga’a
8. Higgers

16. Pat
17. Lahiff
18. PAE
19. Timani
20. Reid

That's a pretty good pack.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Amen to that. I've always seen him as an eight since he dominated the BRC in that position. Lock seemed to reduce him. I'm just waiting for Dumbledore to dispute it. I wish the rebels recruitment team would focus the international spot on a lock rather than the 8s that keep pushing him out of there.

Hodge at 12 is also ideal IMHO. Our midfield got their Mojo back last with him there and Inman at 13. The question is who do we put at fullback unless Crawford gets a recall?

fou, placid, maddocks. in that order imo

Status
Not open for further replies.