• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Crawford's listed on the Rebels team list, has he been re-signed? Got a hellava boot on him, Cam.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
'he is good in the air too and a nice runner. There has been several comments earlier on the thread about "offering an olive branch", "not made up his mind" etc. Nothing definite from anybody more in the know than me.

I am hoping he stays. I liked what I saw this year in the short time he had before before he got injured.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Not convinced we should ever have Placid at 15. Has not really cut it there at NRC let alone soop. He would be better on a wing but not a starter. Don't know if Fou will be ready. It will be a weak point for us unless we move Hodge or Jack Deb there which only moves the weak spot closer to the play and does no favours for player development.

Is there no chance we can keep Crawford? If uninjured he would be better than acid and could mentor Fou
If JD is going to play flyhalf I think Hodge has to be fullback - unless either Fou or Maddocks step up big time. We have a bit of depth in the centres, not so much at 10 or 15.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He is on one part of the Rebels website but not on another. Curious. Confusing. Cam's name is in the players section on the top right, but I now see a lot of past players are listed there.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
He is on one part of the Rebels website but not on another. Curious. Confusing. Cam's name is in the players section on the top right, but I now see a lot of past players are listed there.

Would be the web intern didn't clean up old data. Common on any website.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Crawford is neither on the Rebels' current Facebook cover photo nor in the squad announcement video they posted last week or the week before. I doubt he's signed.

Sa'aga, Tupai and Tuimalealiifano have all signed development contracts, as has Semesi Tupou from Nudgee College in Brisbane.

https://melbournerebels.com/2016/11/15/rebels-add-local-talent-with-new-signings/

Somebody tell me about Tupou. Is he good? Is he a fullback? Give me some background please.

Great addition to the Rebels 20s. I think they'll be pretty handy.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Somebody tell me about Tupou. Is he good? Is he a fullback? Give me some background please.

According to GAGR GPS TOTS http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/qld-gps-2016-team-of-the-season/:

Unlucky himself to miss out on an Australian Schoolboys jersey, Semisi Tupou brought overwhelming physicality to the outside centre position in 2016.
Dishing out big hits with regularity, Tupou was no slouch over 100 metres either and proved capable of burning defences once he’d broken the first tackle.
Tupou could run over you, around you, and could probably even tunnel under you before you’d stop him; it’s safe to say that in any other year, Tupou would have been the standout outside centre.
Stats: 65 carries, 50/65 tackles (77%), six offloads, 39 carries over 5m (60% of carries), eight tries

My guess? Inman is on the way out (with no Wallaby contention apparent), and we want to diversify our potential center options.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well then the Rebels 20s look pretty fierce.

In the centers they'll have Tuipolotu, Pasami, and Tupou.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There are some interesting (but not confirmed) rumours that Ben Volavola has signed with the Rebels (though others say Tahs). I hope it's not for too much money, but none the less a good potential signing.

Volavola could well play the utility role Harris and Hodge played last year, freeing Hodge to play more 12. Notably, this gives us depth at 10 and 15, but he bloke looked his best in 2012 (I think) covering basically the whole backline off the bench for the Tahs.

Still, for us he could even factor as the starting 15 because I feel they had Shipperly picked for that role pre-injury.

Watch this space.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Volavola? Interesting. Why wouldn't the Brumbies be after him?

Not my first choice, but significantly more preferable to playing Jack at 15 and throwing Garden-Bachop to the wolves at 10, or Placid/Fou/Someone else at 15, or shifting Hodge back to 15 and having to play Sione or Sefa at 13 full time.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Volavola? Interesting. Why wouldn't the Brumbies be after him?

Not my first choice, but significantly more preferable to playing Jack at 15 and throwing Garden-Bachop to the wolves at 10, or Placid/Fou/Someone else at 15, or shifting Hodge back to 15 and having to play Sione or Sefa at 13 full time.

Who knows re: the Brumbies, but like I said it's just a rumour.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
he's an international player now.

Is there room for him at the Tahs and Rebels?

Well the Rebels have lost Hagan and brought only Mafi in.

If you count Mafi as your 'Japanese player' (not counted under the International Cap) and consider the Rebels have more slots anyway, it could work.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
c901e0ef68c96a7eef2eef7f0f60b123.jpg

Who dis here? Is it Lomax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom