• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gee if you blokes aren't putting Colby to much use then we'll have him back, thanks. It can be a Fainga'a family reunion at the Brumbies.
i think the Rebels will rotate their backrow quite a bit, Colby will get plenty of game time. Its quite possible both McMahon and Timani will come back broken from the Wobs and need a rest.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I still think that

4 - Jeffries
5 - Timani
6 - McMahon
7 - Reid
8 - Mafi
19 - Day
20 - Fainga'a

is a very good option. That leaves Fox, Leota, Retallick, Cummins & Toolis in reserve (and any others I have missed)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My preference is to use the home based players as starters in the early couple of rounds of the season, say:

4. Jeffries
5. Cummins/Toolis
6. McMahon
7. Colby/Reid
8. Timani

With Day and Mafi off the bench as they learn the systems and get a little bit of rest from the Top League, then look to select purely on ability, combinations and form, from about round 3-5.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
watching the Rebels at training this morning, getting absolutely flogged. a few observations. mitch inman looks like cut from teak, fox seems to have less puppy fat, only one person on the pitch with any bandaging of limbs (thats good), dom shipperley was on the sidelines doing boxing but didn't have any strapping on knee, there are some absolutely enormous units in the red shirts (extended squad, 20's, extras ?) if they can also play and the Rebels hold on to them they will have a monster pack in a few years.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Just watched replay of Fiji v Japan. Mafi was a little quieter this week. Every time I watch him I wonder if Kotaro Matsushima is the new Telusa Veainu, has some x factor - speed, side step, can throw a dummy and is even a reasonable kick. It makes me wonder how TT has kept Placid ahead of Veainu and Matsushima.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just watched replay of Fiji v Japan. Mafi was a little quieter this week. Every time I watch him I wonder if Kotaro Matsushima is the new Telusa Veainu, has some x factor - speed, side step, can throw a dummy and is even a reasonable kick. It makes me wonder how TT has kept Placid ahead of Veainu and Matsushima.
The Dean Mumm of the Rebels, perhaps?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the team has any sense, they won't buy into the sunk cost fallacy and let him go if there's not significantly improvement forthcoming.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Matsu was only ever signed on a short term deal. Veainu, OTOH, was around for a while and never really given much of a chance. By all accounts he's tearing it up for Leicester which is good to see.

Every time Matsu did get some minutes for the Rebels it looked like he was trying too hard to impress. He's been a stand out for Suntory/Japan for a few years. I wish he would go to the Sunwolves for a couple of seasons, they could really use him.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I still think that

4 - Jeffries
5 - Timani
6 - McMahon
7 - Reid
8 - Mafi
19 - Day
20 - Fainga'a

is a very good option. That leaves Fox, Leota, Retallick, Cummins & Toolis in reserve (and any others I have missed)
Yeah but - that would mean our two primary lineout jumpers would be Big Red and Sean with LT and Reid taking the odd one. We'll be pantsed without a second jumping lock.

Based on the one game I saw him play in Japan, I have my doubts that Day will make the 23.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah but - that would mean our two primary lineout jumpers would be Big Red and Sean with LT and Reid taking the odd one. We'll be pantsed without a second jumping lock.

Based on the one game I saw him play in Japan, I have my doubts that Day will make the 23.

Sure.y the solution is to get Timani jumping!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Sure.y the solution is to get Timani jumping!
In fairness, they are doing that and it looks like Timani has been working on it in Wallaby camp. In the second half of last season, LT was taking the first lineout of the game at two - just the one per game though. If he can develop that aspect of his game then problem solved; I'd still rather see him playing at 6 or 8 though.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In fairness, they are doing that and it looks like Timani has been working on it in Wallaby camp. In the second half of last season, LT was taking the first lineout of the game at two - just the one per game though. If he can develop that aspect of his game then problem solved; I'd still rather see him playing at 6 or 8 though.

Its great news they are working on it. Honestly mean that. For the sake of the Wallabies I dont care if he plays lock or back row, I do care that he is included as a primary jumper.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
watching the Rebels at training this morning, getting absolutely flogged. a few observations. mitch inman looks like cut from teak, fox seems to have less puppy fat, only one person on the pitch with any bandaging of limbs (thats good), dom shipperley was on the sidelines doing boxing but didn't have any strapping on knee, there are some absolutely enormous units in the red shirts (extended squad, 20's, extras ?) if they can also play and the Rebels hold on to them they will have a monster pack in a few years.
Good stuff, a few points:
- Mitch was flat last year from being a medical joker in France during the WC. After skipping the NRC this won't be the case this year.
- Good stuff Fox, he was substantially better in the NRC than I thought he would be.
- Suprised Dom is up-and-about. Good stuff.
- A lot of those Red shirts are 20s players. The Rebels used 'do a preseason with the top squad' as a carrot to get a few of those boys down. Should be a good Super 20s. In the past they got blokes down to do 20s and then they left before club season, hopefully they keep more of them around so they can enrich our club scene.
Matsu was only ever signed on a short term deal.
Selfishly, I'd take him back. He never got there but he's a high potential play that can cover a number of positions (though I'd probably only play him at wing).

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I understand Matsushima was only on short term injury replacement contract but that doesn't mean we couldn't have offered him a new contract. Just a bit disappointed to see a couple of backs with x factor leave after not getting a decent chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.