• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Depending on preseason stuff, I'd reckon we'd be thinking something like:

JD, Sefa, Inman, Hodge, Koirobete, Bishop Gardner, Stirzaker, Toby, Chibba, Weeks, Cummins, Jeffries, McMahon, Reid/Fainga'a, Timani

Res: Pat, Cruze, Metcher, Day, Mafi, Fainga'a/Reid, Meehan, English

for round 1.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^Pretty much agree, think Day/Toolis might be ahead of Cummins come round one. Would not mind seeing Pama Fou early to see what he can do.

His the one that could have a major impact for me, will be interesting to see how he goes in 15's.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we'll see a bloke like Toby Smith shine. Everyone at the Rebels talks about him being fitter and more athletic than any prop they've worked with, and occasionally we see that in 15s but with the channels he has to work in, not so much.

A lock/8 like Timani also seems purpose made for this, if he isn't resting after a big 2016 workload.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Depending on preseason stuff, I'd reckon we'd be thinking something like:

JD, Sefa, Inman, Hodge, Koirobete, Bishop Gardner, Stirzaker, Toby, Chibba, Weeks, Cummins, Jeffries, McMahon, Reid/Fainga'a, Timani

Res: Pat, Cruze, Metcher, Day, Mafi, Fainga'a/Reid, Meehan, English

for round 1.
The Top League recruits might not be ready for round 1. Their season finishes at the end of January; I imagine they'll probably have a couple of weeks off and get here early-mid February.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For all our ITM friends out here, whats he like? He has a decent pedigree.

Here's the FoxSports article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...s/news-story/ab67a52c80ed58b9833483668fd7b57c

Fine pedigree indeed: dad Stephen 5/8 for Manu Samoa & NZ (plus uncle Graham one of the better AB 9's of the last 25 years), mum Sue NZ at both XV's & touch.

As for Jackson himself, NZ Schools 2012, U20's 2014 & had a good season for Wellington. Reliable goal kicker (e.g. his 7 X PG v Harbour) & good temperament as well (45m effort after the hooter to beat Counties). Good bench option, covers 10, 12 & 15 plus as noted can be your backup goal kicker.

I wouldn't expect miracles from him in 2017 but to me he looks very much like Richie Mo'unga (Canterbury ITM & Crusaders) & if he's well managed by the Rebs & has another good ITM Cup he could very well "click" in 2018.

T

TOCC

I think there will almost be an expectation that he is starting in 2017... JD has first dibs via experience, but it's his position to lose

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big step up from ITM Championship to Super Rugby, barring injury necessitating it I wouldn't be starting him until he's had 6-8 matches off the bench & even then I'd probably be looking at him as a 50-60 minute player. Ihaia West & Richie Mo'unga, who've both come through similar pathways as JG-B, show the risks of a too-early introduction (tho TBF in West's case Benji being crap played a big part) vs the more gradual approach taken with Mo'unga.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
WOB, I agree, ideally you'd want a Mitre 10 (or NRC) player (especially a playmaker) coming off the bench and being gradually introduced to Super Rugby, but it would depend on circumstances. Had it been the Brumbies for instance, JGB certainly showed better form in the Mitre 10 than Jooste did in the NRC, but because there is no other stand out starting No 10 Jooste will probably have to take on that job in 2017. Unless there is a plan to revert Godwin to the spot he played at U20s but really hasn't since.

The Rebels might find themselves in a similar position if JD's form doesn't improve over what he showed this year, or if he is injured or moved to No 15. Circumstances will likely dictate when JGB gets to start. Whenever, I hope he takes to the job as well as Mo'unga did for the Cru this year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They clearly needed backup for 10 with JD's form drop off last year so positive move and addressed obvious gap. JD's form does not improve Bachop might even have a shot at starting role by mid season.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Someone (RebelYell, I think) mentioned quite a while back that Hagan might have been looking for an early release.

I think I'd like to hear a statement from Hagan himself explaining that it has been his decision to take an early release. I have an uncomfortable feeling about this one.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i thought his girlfriend was trying for a womens AFL contract ? and was therefore trying to stay on.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think I'd like to hear a statement from Hagan himself explaining that it has been his decision to take an early release. I have an uncomfortable feeling about this one.

What do you mean? Honestly, I think he looked quite poor in limited showings, even in the Dewar Shield.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
What do you mean? Honestly, I think he looked quite poor in limited showings, even in the Dewar Shield.

Maybe he did, what about JD? Is he next? What about Pat? Who else looked poor last season? Are they all on the chopping block?

Status
Not open for further replies.