• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With respect the only team that didn’t benefit over the off season is the Reds. The rebels obviously did very well but so have the other two. Brumbies got Naisarani, Peni, Arnold, Verity Amm, Erasmus, Lucas and McCaffrey plus the return of Pocock should see them in a better position starting this season than the last, CLL fit again will help with this as well. Only real loss was Fardy. The tahs decided to spend their money on Beale and Simmons, plus gained Rona and a good chance they will acquire McCalman. Vui is a very exciting prospect, Staniforth helps the locking stocks and Newsome should solve 1 headache on the wing. Only losses and they could be debated were Skelton (would rather Simmons) and Horne (would prob move to the wing with Beale and Rona)

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
With respect the only team that didn’t benefit over the off season is the Reds. The rebels obviously did very well but so have the other two. Brumbies got Naisarani, Peni, Arnold, Verity Amm, Erasmus, Lucas and McCaffrey plus the return of Pocock should see them in a better position starting this season than the last, CLL fit again will help with this as well. Only real loss was Fardy. The tahs decided to spend their money on Beale and Simmons, plus gained Rona and a good chance they will acquire McCalman. Vui is a very exciting prospect, Staniforth helps the locking stocks and Newsome should solve 1 headache on the wing. Only losses and they could be debated were Skelton (would rather Simmons) and Horne (would prob move to the wing with Beale and Rona)

and the Force

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Fuck, Rebels took the punt of all punts and gambled by keeping half their roster open. We beat the house, so to speak. As Stoff said, I'm crying crocodile tears for our dear brothers and sisters north of the Barassi Line who for once are experiencing life with a slightly shallower talent pool.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Fuck, Rebels took the punt of all punts and gambled by keeping half their roster open. We beat the house, so to speak. As Stoff said, I'm crying crocodile tears for our dear brothers and sisters north of the Barassi Line who for once are experiencing life with a slightly shallower talent pool.

I'm not sure it was a conscious decision to keep half their roster open - if you recall, the ARU put an embargo on clubs signing up new players and Rebels were left with half a roster and no coach - it so happened that a full roster and coach began looking for a new club in September and it was a match made in heaven. Also, not impressed with Reds starting line up , but that's good for us

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Just watched the interview with Will G on YouTube.

He was asked about who might play fly-half, he mentioned that Hodge is training mostly at 12, Taylor Adams, Jack D, Jack Mac, and Jack Maddocks have all been having a crack at 10.

No mention of Lance.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure it was a conscious decision to keep half their roster open - if you recall, the ARU put an embargo on clubs signing up new players and Rebels were left with half a roster and no coach - it so happened that a full roster and coach began looking for a new club in September and it was a match made in heaven. Also, not impressed with Reds starting line up , but that's good for us

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

He was asked about who might play fly-half, he mentioned that Hodge is training mostly at 12, Taylor Adams, Jack D, Jack Mac, and Jack Maddocks have all been having a crack at 10.

No mention of Lance.
I noticed that too. Could just be a genuine accidental omission by Will or Jack D replaces Lance, which is my guess.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

No mention of Lance.

Lance has a broken hand. Pretty hard to play flyhalf (core roles: catch, pass, kick) with only one hand. He'll start training when it's serviceable.

T

TOCC

Don’t confuse what the gripe is, my issue is the salary cap and the longer term ramifications of this, not the team itself. Im glad the Rebels have strengthened in the quality of the XV, however I question at what cost.

In previous years when the Rebels have underspent on the Salary Cap they’ve posted significant losses, yet in 2018 they’re overspending on the salary cap and we are supposed to believe that they will to do so under budget? Who then bails them out?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Don’t confuse what the gripe is, my issue is the salary cap and the longer term ramifications of this, not the team itself. Im glad the Rebels have strengthened in the quality of the XV, however I question at what cost.

In previous years when the Rebels have underspent on the Salary Cap they’ve posted significant losses, yet in 2018 they’re overspending on the salary cap and we are supposed to believe that they will to do so under budget? Who then bails them out?
Does the salary cap have a bearing on profit / loss? Surely if you don’t spend all your salary cap you can’t use the money on tackle pads and kicking tees instead?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You know, the ARU (Rugby Australia) handled the events of last year very poorly, but if we want Rugby in Australia to get better that can only happen if we look forward, be positive and get behind Rugby and those that run it. Bagging the ARU for bagging’s sake is getting a bit tired.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can we get this salary cap thing clarified. Yep i agree they are most likely over the cap but it's purely on numbers and not the actual contracts themselves. I've had ago at what i'd believe are the highest earners in Aus rugby (i could be completely wrong) but it should indicate they aren't far off what the other teams are paying

Top line earners

Folau - NSW
Beale - NSW
Pocock - ACT
Genia - VIC
Hooper - NSW
Cooper - QLD

High earners

Foley - NSW
Coleman - VIC
Kepu - NSW
Smith - QLD
Koroibete - Vic
Hunt - QLD
DHP - Vic
Simmons - NSW
Kerevi - QLD
Douglas - QLD
Sio - ACT
Kurindrani - ACT
Phipps - NSW
Slipper - QLD

Med-High earners

Frisby - QLD
Parling - Vic
Mafi - Vic
Higgers - QLD
Hodge - Vic
Rona - NSW
McCalman - NSW?????
Latu - NSW
Uelese - Vic
Carter - ACT
Naisarani - ACT
Arnold - ACT
Timani - Vic
Faulkner - Vic
Speight - ACT
AAT - ACT
Godwin - ACT
Meakes - Vic
Lance - Vic

Medium earners

Hawera - ACT
Naivalu - Vic
Phillip - Vic
Tupou - QLD
Hardwick - Vic
Powell - ACT
Ruru - Vic
Nabuli - QLD
DP - QLD

Below Average but due a good pay day soon

Maddocks - Vic
Dempsey - NSW
Hanigan - NSW
Rodda - QLD
Tui - QLD
Banks - ACT
Perese - QLD

I've obviously missed plenty of players, but if im even remotely close to the mark it shows, NSW have spent all their money on 7/8 players

The Reds top 7/8 earners either aren't in the starting 15 anymore, been injured the past 12 months, about to get sacked, isolated from training, told to find a new club, or on a pension. A lot of money was spent to get Douglas in, Quade back, Frisby resigned, Smith in, Kerevi resigned, Hunt over from AFL, Higgers in from Japan and lets not forget only 2/3 years ago Slipper was the premier LH in Aus. So it's creating a bit of illusion that money isn't been spent. It's just been spent very poorly.

The Brumbies and Rebels would only have 2/3 top line earners with the rest all players that have only broken through in the past 18months (Hodge, Phillip, Banks, Uelese, Naisarani) that wouldn't command top line dollars or med/high to moderate maybe less earners. Trim Mafi and Parling from the squad come season end and the Rebels would be paying less than the Tahs come salary cap time.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

No mention of Lance.

Lance was at training this morning, bandaged left hand, running water during the opposed stuff. so was Adams, Debreczeni, McGregor etc. Hodge running at 12, DHP on a wing and Maddocks at fullback (but Sefa N still in rehab). the only two who i couldnt see running around were Daley and Weeks, everyone either in full training or team rehab/WWNW (wallabies who need work - Coleman &Timani)

T

TOCC

Does the salary cap have a bearing on profit / loss? Surely if you don’t spend all your salary cap you can’t use the money on tackle pads and kicking tees instead?

The grant is a grant, how the clubs run day to day operations is up to them. If clubs spend under their salary cap it has no impact on the value of the grant.

However it will change marginally in 2019 with a minimum spend of the salary cap spent at 85%. This is a RUPA demand to ensure that the money is being spent on the players.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The grant is a grant, how the clubs run day to day operations is up to them. If clubs spend under their salary cap it has no impact on the value of the grant.

However it will change marginally in 2019 with a minimum spend of the salary cap spent at 85%. This is a RUPA demand to ensure that the money is being spent on the players.
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

T

TOCC

The Reds top 7/8 earners either aren't in the starting 15 anymore, been injured the past 12 months, about to get sacked, isolated from training, told to find a new club, or on a pension. A lot of money was spent to get Douglas in, Quade back, Frisby resigned, Smith in, Kerevi resigned, Hunt over from AFL, Higgers in from Japan and lets not forget only 2/3 years ago Slipper was the premier LH in Aus. So it's creating a bit of illusion that money isn't been spent. It's just been spent very poorly.

Reds won’t spend their whole salary cap in 2018, not because they don’t want to, because they can’t afford too. It will be quite a bit under even before the Frisby, Karmichael and Quade issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.