• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
One which is over the salary cap..

But also one which considers the well being do the players, It’s happened plenty of times in Australian Rugby. Tom Banks was signed to the Reds in 2017 on a WTS, Brumbjes offered a superior contract he was released. Similar to Shota Horie, he was initially contracted to the Reds before the Rebels offered a superior contract and starting opportunity so the Reds released him as well. There’s even been a case of mid-season releases, a Brumbies player to the Force whose name escapes me.

I always thought WTS, development and EPS contracts had terms written into them forcing a release when main/higher level squad places were offered. Definitely stupid by the clubs if they don't and they've been released when that's the whole point of contracting the player in the first place. Same goes for Shota. That was bloody stupid of he reds. This is definitely the time where the lack of "professionalism" (at least, as compared to football) strikes me as odd. I mean if a player is unhappy and wants to go, (looking for opportunity or otherwise) let him go, but that doesn't mean handing a player directly off to a direct rival to bite you on the arse without a very significant sweetener.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
we haven't had a game yet, and this could all end up being for nothing, (I hope not) but it isn't on the Rebels to equalise talent, let players go - assist Australian Rugby - our job is to win the title - if we can do that then Australian rugby will benefit too and the other clubs can cheer us on

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fuck, Rebels took the punt of all punts and gambled by keeping half their roster open. We beat the house, so to speak. As Stoff said, I'm crying crocodile tears for our dear brothers and sisters north of the Barassi Line who for once are experiencing life with a slightly shallower talent pool.

I think we mostly just benefited from the circumstances presented rather than taking a punt. Rebels would've been a pretty undesirable location pre-the Force cull (under performing side, no coach, potential to be cut). Our biggest new signing at that point was Horowitz (so we were obviously looking).

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
we haven't had a game yet, and this could all end up being for nothing, (I hope not) but it isn't on the Rebels to equalise talent, let players go - assist Australian Rugby - our job is to win the title - if we can do that then Australian rugby will benefit too and the other clubs can cheer us on

The Rebels are pretty deep right now with plenty of promising blokes, but I don't know if our actually XV is what people are saying it is.

Is our best XV (presuming zero injuries) that much better than the Tahs or Brumbies ones? I don't personally think so.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
The Rebels are pretty deep right now with plenty of promising blokes, but I don't know if our actually XV is what people are saying it is.

Is our best XV (presuming zero injuries) that much better than the Tahs or Brumbies ones? I don't personally think so.

If that starting XV gels I’d say hell yes, your team will be the envy of every other Aussie outfit

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One which is over the salary cap..

But also one which considers the well being do the players, It’s happened plenty of times in Australian Rugby. Tom Banks was signed to the Reds in 2017 on a WTS, Brumbjes offered a superior contract he was released. Similar to Shota Horie, he was initially contracted to the Reds before the Rebels offered a superior contract and starting opportunity so the Reds released him as well. There’s even been a case of mid-season releases, a Brumbies player to the Force whose name escapes me.

Think you'll find Nathan Charles was released to the Force mid-season, TOCC. Think there may have been one or two others over time as well.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shota Horie was attached to that Reds College thing that existed for one or two years (I'm not sure of the rules here).

T

TOCC

Shota Horie was attached to that Reds College thing that existed for one or two years (I'm not sure of the rules here).

Reds College was a program that existed back in the late 90s/early 2000s for those still at school and colts. Reds Academy was in was an early version of the EPS/WTS which involved both contracted and uncontracted players before the ARU cut the funding for it 2014.

But we digress

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
What club in its right mind would release contracted players to strengthen it's direct rivals if it wasn't obligated to?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

True but I understand in one players case the Rebels will release him to play overseas BUT not to play for another Aussie franchise. That's when AR needs to man up for the overall good of Australian rugby.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
True but I understand in one players case the Rebels will release him to play overseas BUT not to play for another Aussie franchise. That's when AR needs to man up for the overall good of Australian rugby.
Maybe I grew up around football too much, but that's basically perfect list management. I have no problems with that. ARU can step in if they like, but the reality should be that the Reds should be making an offer (cash payment, player exchange, access to the zones, player is ineligible to play against the Rebels etc.) To negotiate a release themselves.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

the Reds need backs, especially a 10, so in reality thats only going to be one of the few possibilities, two of them are originally from Queensland, one is still recovering from a second ACL recon, one (presumably THE one) has a broken hand and another is currently playing for Saracens.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe I grew up around football too much, but that's basically perfect list management. I have no problems with that. ARU can step in if they like, but the reality should be that the Reds should be making an offer (cash payment, player exchange, access to the zones, player is ineligible to play against the Rebels etc.) To negotiate a release themselves.

Oh? Please enlighten me as to just who the AFL are willing to release players to overseas as part of their "perfect list management"?
Sorry Highlander. From your name I am guessing you mean soccer, not AFL. My error.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
the Reds need backs, especially a 10, so in reality thats only going to be one of the few possibilities, two of them are originally from Queensland, one is still recovering from a second ACL recon, one (presumably THE one) has a broken hand and another is currently playing for Saracens.

I would have thought with your amazing grass roots programs and mega rugby depth across the whole state that really only plays Rugby (union and league) compared with, say Vic, you would be spoiled for choice in up and coming talent and bursting at the seams with organic growth and a fully detailed succession plan for players - and coaches - it's not like you guys are a johnnie come lately to rugby, so stand on your own two feet guys and show us the talent you keep saying you have. This is really directed to Reds supporters who read this forum, not Swingpass, who is obviously Victorian

D

daz

Perfectly happy to have the Rebels suck up every decent player in the country, win the conference, attend finals, have a crack at the title, and have a high representation at Wallaby level every year.

Not a supporter in the country who doesn’t want the same thing for their team.

And please don’t tell me the Rebels need to rationalise with the other 3 teams for the good of the code in this country, or that any Rebels success will be manufactured or based on the ashes of another team. I couldn’t care less.

And as for the salary cap, that’s an issue for the Rebels management and RA. They clearly know what’s going on, and have some kind of agreement in place, whether some like it or not.

Selfish? You bet. Win or lose, I am a Rebels supporter; I don’t recall that position implying I had to share my support with any other team, or hope they are successful in any way.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Perfectly happy to have the Rebels suck up every decent player in the country, win the conference, attend finals, have a crack at the title, and have a high representation at Wallaby level every year.

Not a supporter in the country who doesn’t want the same thing for their team.

And please don’t tell me the Rebels need to rationalise with the other 3 teams for the good of the code in this country, or that any Rebels success will be manufactured or based on the ashes of another team. I couldn’t care less.

And as for the salary cap, that’s an issue for the Rebels management and RA. They clearly know what’s going on, and have some kind of agreement in place, whether some like it or not.

Selfish? You bet. Win or lose, I am a Rebels supporter; I don’t recall that position implying I had to share my support with any other team, or hope they are successful in any way.
With you all the way, Daz!

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Went and watched rebels train on Thursday and there was some real intensity about it. two teams, 15 on 15. Couple of interesting things to note:
Taylor Adams getting big wraps from Wessels
Reece Hodge was at playing at 12
Hunter Paisami looked very very sharp
Michael Ruru was quick on the scoot

There was plenty of ball movement in the forwards but as you'd expect with all the signings and early preseason, the attack and defence was chaotic.

The issue that I feel the Rebels will find is the complete lack of cohesion despite their dramatic upside in skill. Sure they will win some more games because of the players they have, but if they could keep this group together in 2018 injury free who knows what they can achieve. 2019 will also be huge if they can keep the group constant through the salary cap changes.

Exciting times

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels, even with their advantage in players and money will never get a real foothold in Melbourne in the next few years.

Support is scarce except for a few diehards.

Status
Not open for further replies.