• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Makes a lot of sense from a Munster perspective. Not sure why they'd be interested in Wessells above anyone else, particularly given the quality of other Coaches that are becoming a regular occurrence in the Pro14.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
You talk a load of rubbish. Muster had their choice, we had ours. Simples.

“Despite reports that Wessels was set to be appointed, the 36-year-old South African has instead taken up a position with Melbourne Rebels.”

That's a touch strong! So Munster interviewed Van Graan 6 weeks ago. Wessels in the last couple of weeks. Wessels announces he's going to Melbourne yesterday. Closely followed by Munster announcing Van Graan. Looks like they gave Wessels the courtesy of a no, before announcing new coach.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
That's a touch strong! So Munster interviewed Van Graan 6 weeks ago. Wessels in the last couple of weeks. Wessels announces he's going to Melbourne yesterday. Closely followed by Munster announcing Van Graan. Looks like they gave Wessels the courtesy of a no, before announcing new coach.

Or Wessels gave them a no yesterday and they picked their second choice ...

Who knows.

At least we will get to see whether Wessels is a good/great coach or just had a lucky once off year

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

That's one possible scenario. Another could be that they had discussions with DW and he said thanks but I'll go to the Rebels. Munster then call back Van Graan and say congratulations.

Edit: beaten by James P.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Either way from a Rebels perspective it's the best outcome.

I'm not going to drag the thread down by saying what I really think as a Force fan.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Or Wessels gave them a no yesterday and they picked their second choice .

Who knows.

At least we will get to see whether Wessels is a good/great coach or just had a lucky once off year

The thing is Wessels had a few things going for him last year: low expectations and a unique set of circumstances that bonded the group pretty tight. Now he has to deal with integrating himself and a bunch of Force players smoothly, and people are going to be expecting a big improvement on 2017.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not saying keep lower quality players because they were here already.

I'm thinking more along the lines of, if our longstanding and fundamentally Super Rugby quality players like English & Colby start missing out on gametime to similar quality players.

Or if the boys who're currently strutting their stuff for the Rising start getting frozen out because of a Force player (say for example, JGB gets cut, but we recruit Grant on top of Lance, depriving McGregor of opportunities).

Otherwise yes, I do understand that it's about "consolidating the Strength of Australian Rugby" (feel like throwing up just saying it), and we'll almost certainly end up with more than my preferred 8ish total.

I think they need to shift the non Aussie players first. Last season 4/5 non Aussie fly halves and how we have 3/4 non Aussie coaches

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Either way from a Rebels perspective it's the best outcome.

I'm not going to drag the thread down by saying what I really think as a Force fan.
That you wish Wessells had been vindictive, going overseas and taking Coleman and as many other Force players as he could with him?

Not too hard to figure out.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
we have 3/4 non Aussie coaches

I reckon this is overstated.

Of the three, the least "grounded" here is Gibson. I could see him returning to take up where he left off in the NZ program, in his case.

Thorn, not so much. Wessels, least of all.

That's not to say any coach, even Australian born, is not going to take an overseas gig if the right opportunity comes up.

But guys who are permanent residents here 7-10 years plus and started their pro coaching here are, pretty much, Australian coaches – even if not native born.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Of the three, the least "grounded" here is Gibson. I could see him returning to take up where he left off in the NZ program, in his case.

That's not to say any coach, even Australian born, is not going to take an overseas gig if the right opportunity comes up.

But guys who are permanent residents here 7-10 years plus and started their pro coaching here are, pretty much, Australian coaches – even if not native born.

Agreed but it is more the sentiment of our current coaching development. Personally I like seeing Australia coaches getting experience overseas. I'd also like to see assistant Super Rugby coaches acting as head coaches in the NRC. I'd like to see a three year rotation with the Australia u20s role. Two years as an assistant then one year as a head coach before moving on.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
The thing is Wessels had a few things going for him last year: low expectations and a unique set of circumstances that bonded the group pretty tight. Now he has to deal with integrating himself and a bunch of Force players smoothly, and people are going to be expecting a big improvement on 2017.

Will be a very different scenario next year. I'd say expectations will be pretty bloody high, a lot of confidence now among Rebels fans I have talked to given the new coach and probable new players. Sad that it takes a bunch of players and a coach from another team to give the guys I know (not all Rebels fans, I'm not trying to generalise) confidence that their team will do well. Just 2 days ago they were saying if Wessels went OS then they thought the rebels would finish 4th in the Aussie conference, now they are picking no. 1.

if Wessels and the Force players who turn into Rebels do that much good for the team then more power to them.

Personally I think the Rebels will probably do very well next year, especially if they have an influx of all of the Force's top players. Plus Genia, Parling, Mafi etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Gibson has been here 5 years now and has school age kids. He could certainly return to NZ and if he lost the Waratahs job that's a pretty likely scenario but equally I'd say he's got pretty strong ties to Sydney.

I agree though that if he needed a new job I would think it would be just as, if not more likely he'd go back to NZ than elsewhere in Australia.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Gibson has been here 5 years now and has school age kids. He could certainly return to NZ and if he lost the Waratahs job that's a pretty likely scenario but equally I'd say he's got pretty strong ties to Sydney.

I agree though that if he needed a new job I would think it would be just as, if not more likely he'd go back to NZ than elsewhere in Australia.

Yeah, but I'd almost put money on him going back to NZ by end of 2020 if not before.

The man is en zed without doubt, for mine, and he was not lost to their system by moving to Sydney.

Should he win a title of course all bets are off (or an avatar bet in this case - more appropriate here). But I reckon my icon is safe. :)

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Didn't Thorn play League for Aus? He may of also been an AB but we can claim him

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will be a very different scenario next year. I'd say expectations will be pretty bloody high, a lot of confidence now among Rebels fans I have talked to given the new coach and probable new players. Sad that it takes a bunch of players and a coach from another team to give the guys I know (not all Rebels fans, I'm not trying to generalise) confidence that their team will do well. Just 2 days ago they were saying if Wessels went OS then they thought the rebels would finish 4th in the Aussie conference, now they are picking no. 1.

if Wessels and the Force players who turn into Rebels do that much good for the team then more power to them.

Personally I think the Rebels will probably do very well next year, especially if they have an influx of all of the Force's top players. Plus Genia, Parling, Mafi etc.

I don't want to see us take to many players, I still want to see us develop the guys we have. Godard, Tuipilotu, McGregor, Maddocks, Tupo, Uelese and Letoa will make up a big part of our future and I want to see them given opportunities. I fear if we take to many Force players they will be starved of opportunity. I wouldn't take Grant or Lance. I get they are experienced but they are both stop gaps and that's it. I would rather put time into JGB and McGregor

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fox Sports suggesting Wessells wants a further 10+ players from the Force.

Yeah, this was part of my worry.

I don't want to be the transplanted Force. I don't mind, and am excited to have 6-8 players inclusive of Daley and Faulkner to complement our other new recruits, youngsters and small handful of International & Super Rugby quality players.

Force in Melbourne with the Rebels Logo slapped on top is not what I wanted or signed up for.

Yeah, too many relocated Force players and the team will become known as the Eastern Force.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Rebels certainly shouldn't take Grant, but Lance is a better player than JGB will probably ever be.

McGregor is promising but he isn't ready to start for a Super Rugby team next year.

The Rebels need less of those guys in their matchday 23 if they want to be a stronger side. They are all promising but they aren't ready to be standout Super Rugby players.

Uelese and Maddocks certainly look like the most ready right now. Tuipulotu is pretty good but I don't think he is a starting centre for a good team yet.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah, but I'd almost put money on him going back to NZ by end of 2020 if not before.

The man is en zed without doubt, for mine, and he was not lost to their system by moving to Sydney.

Should he win a title of course all bets are off (or an avatar bet in this case - more appropriate here). But I reckon my icon is safe. :)

In any case Cron is set to become Waratahs HC at some point (another NZer). From what I've heard around the grapevine he was offered the HC job at the Brumbies but turned it down for the Waratahs.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
In any case Cron is set to become Waratahs HC at some point (another NZer). From what I've heard around the grapevine he was offered the HC job at the Brumbies but turned it down for the Waratahs.

And Cron is different to Gibson as he moved to Australia prior to becoming a professional coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.