• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In any case Cron is set to become Waratahs HC at some point (another NZer). From what I've heard around the grapevine he was offered the HC job at the Brumbies but turned it down for the Waratahs.

True that.

But I think Cron, while still a kiwi and noted NZ relatives notwithstanding , is more established here.

Started his pro coaching career in Australia, I believe, maybe a decade or more back. Happy to be corrected on that.

Similar to Wessels, he is fairly well grounded here.

And Thorn, also still a kiwi, but a qNZldr.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Rebels certainly shouldn't take Grant, but Lance is a better player than JGB will probably ever be.

McGregor is promising but he isn't ready to start for a Super Rugby team next year.

The Rebels need less of those guys in their matchday 23 if they want to be a stronger side. They are all promising but they aren't ready to be standout Super Rugby players.

Uelese and Maddocks certainly look like the most ready right now. Tuipulotu is pretty good but I don't think he is a starting centre for a good team yet.
I don't want to see them all getting a game each week but I would want to see them get rotated through the side play one or two games here and there get a taste for the next level and then go back down the grades aiming to work on the parts of their games that aren't ready

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Will be a very different scenario next year. I'd say expectations will be pretty bloody high, a lot of confidence now among Rebels fans I have talked to given the new coach and probable new players. Sad that it takes a bunch of players and a coach from another team to give the guys I know (not all Rebels fans, I'm not trying to generalise) confidence that their team will do well. Just 2 days ago they were saying if Wessels went OS then they thought the rebels would finish 4th in the Aussie conference, now they are picking no. 1.

if Wessels and the Force players who turn into Rebels do that much good for the team then more power to them.

Personally I think the Rebels will probably do very well next year, especially if they have an influx of all of the Force's top players. Plus Genia, Parling, Mafi etc.

There really isn't a massive difference between the Aus franchises. Except for the Force, none played to expectations this year, even our best team had a losing season.
Putting aside the horror injury run the Rebels have had for the last season and a half (which would have screwed any team in the comp) we've been particularly weak in a few key positions, especially the second row and the halves. So yeah, a handful of good players and a coach with a clear game plan could make all the difference in the world in 2018.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
There really isn't a massive difference between the Aus franchises. Except for the Force, none played to expectations this year, even our best team had a losing season.
Putting aside the horror injury run the Rebels have had for the last season and a half (which would have screwed any team in the comp) we've been particularly weak in a few key positions, especially the second row and the halves. So yeah, a handful of good players and a coach with a clear game plan could make all the difference in the world in 2018.

How about just having a game plan ...

The real gaps for the Rebels are lock, fly half and full back. So obviously Coleman and HP would be the key recruits that would assist the Rebels. I don't know about Lance.

mexiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
Will be a very different scenario next year. I'd say expectations will be pretty bloody high, a lot of confidence now among Rebels fans I have talked to given the new coach and probable new players.

I think our confidence was pretty high at the beginning of the 2017 season coming off 7 wins 8 losses. I wasn't expecting the title, but I was looking forward to finally winning more than we lost. Then we started playing.
How about just having a game plan .

Other than kick it to the opposition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't want to see us take to many players, I still want to see us develop the guys we have. Godard, Tuipilotu, McGregor, Maddocks, Tupo, Uelese and Letoa will make up a big part of our future and I want to see them given opportunities. I fear if we take to many Force players they will be starved of opportunity. I wouldn't take Grant or Lance. I get they are experienced but they are both stop gaps and that's it. I would rather put time into JGB and McGregor
You would seriously retain Jgb over lance...not many would agree with you on that choice. Jgb was not very good last season and a kiwi. Lance had a good last season and a Aussie (read less likely to bugger off to nz at some stage like Jgb).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Would be silly not to name Lance an offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't want to see us take to many players, I still want to see us develop the guys we have. Godard, Tuipilotu, McGregor, Maddocks, Tupo, Uelese and Letoa will make up a big part of our future and I want to see them given opportunities. I fear if we take to many Force players they will be starved of opportunity. I wouldn't take Grant or Lance. I get they are experienced but they are both stop gaps and that's it. I would rather put time into JGB and McGregor

And Horwitz, he could also potentially play fly half. Lance is a good option for right now though, I think we'd be mad not to take him if possible.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
And Horwitz, he could also potentially play fly half. Lance is a good option for right now though, I think we'd be mad not to take him if possible.

Lance is solid, would be silly not to try and get him on board, plus quote me if I am wrong but he and chibba are very close if not best mates. I think JGB needs competition to take him to the next level, his ceiling is a lot higher than lance, yet his pit is a lot lower. Depends on the pack, I'd rather lance if we are going backwards, but parity or dominance it's JGB

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I would pick Lance every day of the week and twice on Sundays over JGB.

Our issues at number 10 started when we let Hegarty go and Debreczeni was almost an automatic pick with no pressure on his spot. (Foley's backflip didn't help either).

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
The letter for my Rebels membership has come through and Rebel blue memberships are 40% cheaper this year. (and a further 5% off because I have chosen auto-renewal)

The logic is to open up rugby to more people and increase game attendance.

The rebels website says this is for blue memberships only. I have to say I'm skeptical if this will work, but I'll be encouraging my mates to sign up.

Even if you miss half the home games you still come out ahead (assuming they aren't also lowering the GA gate price)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The letter for my Rebels membership has come through and Rebel blue memberships are 40% cheaper this year. (and a further 5% off because I have chosen auto-renewal)

The logic is to open up rugby to more people and increase game attendance.

The rebels website says this is for blue memberships only. I have to say I'm skeptical if this will work, but I'll be encouraging my mates to sign up.

Even if you miss half the home games you still come out ahead (assuming they aren't also lowering the GA gate price)
After this season, they have to entice people back to AAMI Park. This is a start.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
They should be giving more than 5% discount to the rest of us. Bit of a joke that only blue are getting it.

With the fixtures going back to Fridays we are most likely only getting one membership as it's hard for both of us to goto the game now that our son is going to be 2. If we got 40% off our memberships we would both resign.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
They should be giving more than 5% discount to the rest of us. Bit of a joke that only blue are getting it.

With the fixtures going back to Fridays we are most likely only getting one membership as it's hard for both of us to goto the game now that our son is going to be 2. If we got 40% off our memberships we would both resign.
Why not ring them or email them and point that out to them and ask for a discount.

I have no idea what there approach to this will be, but organisations reach deals with loyal customers all the time below the advertised price. Maybe not 40%, but they might meet you half way.

If they say no, you'll be no worse off than you are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.