• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Remember when Stirzaker and Debreczeni were being touted as the next / a future 9-10 Wallabies combination. Neither lived up to anywhere the hype.

Also agree Stirzaker should never have been made captain. It is not like he had captaincy written all over him like some others do. Plus he was coming back from injury when appointed and was arguably not our best 9 at that time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Remember when Stirzaker and Debreczeni were being touted as the next / a future 9-10 Wallabies combination. Neither lived up to anywhere the hype.

Also agree Stirzaker should never have been made captain. It is not like he had captaincy written all over him like some others do. Plus he was coming back from injury when appointed and was arguably not our best 9 at that time.

I think both are an example of the failure of the coaching structures in Australia. Deb in particular was one of the most skillful players going around but never kicked on. As for Stirzaker, NFJ was calling for him to be in the last RWC squad, so the potential was there. They join the long list of talented players that never developed as we'd hoped (and as the NZ infrastructure supports so well).

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I think both are an example of the failure of the coaching structures in Australia. Deb in particular was one of the most skillful players going around but never kicked on. As for Stirzaker, NFJ was calling for him to be in the last RWC squad, so the potential was there. They join the long list of talented players that never developed as we'd hoped (and as the NZ infrastructure supports so well).

totally agree on both counts TT has a lot to answer for and they aren't the only ones he let down (IMO)

T

TOCC

Yep.. didn’t live up to the hype because the systems in place and coaching didn’t support it.. like the Reds in years gone by, the Rebels have been unable to convert the potential into practical output

Hopefully Wessells can change that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Good if stirzaker going to uk side as hopefully he can do a Beale and come back a better player as his star definitely slipped and ruru or loudrens better options.

Good to see rangi find a super rugby side and looks like now found starting 10. Where will hodge play I wonder as meakes a 12 and only a 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good if stirzaker going to uk side as hopefully he can do a Beale and come back a better player as his star definitely slipped and ruru or loudrens better options.

Good to see rangi find a super rugby side and looks like now found starting 10. Where will hodge play I wonder as meakes a 12 and only a 12.

Meakes played a lot of 13 at Gloucester. At this stage, I think that he and Hodge are looking like our center pair, regardless of jersey numbers, with Lance and Genia as the halfs, and with Koroibete and Sefa on the wings and DHP at fullback.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I believe when he was at Gloucester he spent most of his time at 13. And went pretty well there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I believe when he was at Gloucester he spent most of his time at 13. And went pretty well there.
There you go...I did not see him as a 13 but back in my box I go. So hodge 12 and meakes 13 perhaps. Wonder where Rona going...I hope not back to league as he is good union pedigree

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Fainga'a is a better out and out 7 (like Gill) then Hardwick, and with Mafi and Timani, you need a more dedicated on the baller then an all rounder like Hardwick. Also I think Meakes played more 13 before he came to Aus, so I expect him to fill that jumper as that is the least filled one, with English and Naivalu being capable, but 12 have some dedicated players. In regards to Hanson/Uelese, either way you start, with experience coming off the bench or with youthful agro coming off the bench, it's a great problem. Same with the reserve props off the bench, do you go with the young and strong future in Sione and Talakai, or the 'been there done that' experience of Daley and Weeks. I see Hanson eyeing a permanent move overseas etiher as a release on the back of his short term contract or immediately after Super Rugby, so it's good they are keeping Rangi around.

1. Faulker 2. Uelese 3. Ainsley
4. Coleman 5. Phillips
6. Timani 8. Mafi 7. Fainga'a
9. Genia 10. Lance 11. Naivalu 12. Hodge 13. Meakes 14. Koroibete 15. DHP
16. Hanson 17. Daley 18. Talakai 19. Parling 20. Hardwick 21. Ruru (hopefully) 22/23 Horwitz/English OR Tuipolotu/Maddocks

2019 Season (assuming some people will leave)
1. Faulker 2. Uelese 3. Ainsley
4. Coleman 5. Phillips
6. RHP 8. Timani 7. Hardwick/Fainga'a
9. Genia 10. Lance 11. Naivalu 12. Hodge 13. Meakes 14. Koroibete 15. DHP
17. Rangi 18. Sione 19. Talakai 20. Haangana 21. Hardwick/Fainga'a 22. Ruru 22. Tuipolotu 23. Maddocks

Status
Not open for further replies.