• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Sure it should be the imperative, but they aren’t mutually exclusive. that’s my point and why everyone was taken back by your initial comment.. needing a sponsor shouldn’t stop an organisation going about their business in other departments.
I think this is one of the key viewpoint that needs to change in rugby around marketing. The Rebels and Rising like Super Rugby and the NRC are different products run separately. A quick look at both product shows distinct differences in supporter basis. We can see that simply through attendence numbers.

Why are we marketing to the converted, or via the converted who are at a distance? Not only are you telling people what they already know but showing them a game that is for a different team after the fact ( post Super Rugby season)?

It begs the question of why locate a team in the middle of a population of 4.6Mil when the key marketing is done outside of this catchment?

Have a look at Daz"s comment at #3012. This is what is at the heart of my comment but rugby seems to think that showing off the game will get people to attend. Have a look at the BBL. Lots of support and good ratings. A lot of non playing previously non attending supporters. Once it's done the are few that give a crap about cricket for the rest of the year. That marketing produces it's income. Good marking for a specific product. You don't see supporter transference between other cricket. You don't see BBL team support transfer to the Sheffield teams.

Going back to the NRC as a marketing vehicle, the Brumbies / Vikings serves as a good lesson that they are different products attracting some common supporters but also each has its own distinct supporters group. The SYD NRC supporter base does not wholly transfer in to the Tah supporter base .

But stripping this back to the key issue, bums on seats and sponsors you have to question the plan when you are announcing long term strategic arrangements when your immediate financial viability (which is we know as precarious) seems not to be the priority.

The Rebels have been at this 8 years and still can't find the basic local supports.

If the support is 90 mins away why are the Rebels so far away from their supporters?

If you had a core group of supporters like the Brumbies, Reds and Tahs looking at new markets makes sense.

The question still stands, if the priority is bums on seats and sponsorship what's does NRC games and pre-season camps next year do than commit you to obligations and potentially close off opportunities (via commitments) if you did get a sponsor?

The other part of the question, with a few weeks away from the season commencing and the bums on seats and sponsor needed, how much time was consumed on things that can be dealt with later while a key priority remains unresolved?

T

TOCC

The question still stands, if the priority is but on seats and sponsorship what's does NRC games and pre-season camps next year do than commit you and potentially close off opportunity if you did get a sponsor?

No it doesn’t, or no more so then the sponsorship opportunities it will open up

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
First trial this weekend. What do we reckon that team looks like? Big guns out, or everyone else getting a run before the 10s and 2nd trial?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
First trial this weekend. What do we reckon that team looks like? Big guns out, or everyone else getting a run before the 10s and 2nd trial?
I had word this one (v Brumbies) will not include the Wallabies and big guns. Mainly extend squad. The trial v the Tahs will include more Wallabies etc.

D

daz

Yep, I expect a bit of cotton-woolling up until the last possible moment; not just to keep everyone outside of the Rebels off-guard, but because I suspect some positions are not locked away yet.

The trial v Tahs will likely be the full dress rehearsal for round 1.

Annoyingly, whilst the Paddock is just about visible from my office, I haven't been to a training session so far. For those who have been to a few, how are they looking? Cohesive and sharp, or still a bit bumpy?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep, I expect a bit of cotton-woolling up until the last possible moment; not just to keep everyone outside of the Rebels off-guard, but because I suspect some positions are not locked away yet.

The trial v Tahs will likely be the full dress rehearsal for round 1.

Annoyingly, whilst the Paddock is just about visible from my office, I haven't been to a training session so far. For those who have been to a few, how are they looking? Cohesive and sharp, or still a bit bumpy?

sharp, at times chaotic, at times very slick and cohesive. the chaos is a bit deliberate methinks, everything and i mean everything at training is to do with game day situation and simulation. Wessels keeps them a little off balance to sharpen both body and mind. to my mind they look a lot fitter and sharper than in previous pre seasons.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
sharp, at times chaotic, at times very slick and cohesive. the chaos is a bit deliberate methinks, everything and i mean everything at training is to do with game day situation and simulation. Wessels keeps them a little off balance to sharpen both body and mind. to my mind they look a lot fitter and sharper than in previous pre seasons.
There has been a big focus on decision-making when fatigued, so they are running them ragged - they should (should) be fit for round 1.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not a big fan of judging by training. The only thing i want from training is intensity, visual thinking and repetition, the rest (slickness, cohesion, etc.) i don't believe really comes from training and generally comes from game day

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not a big fan of judging by training. The only thing i want from training is intensity, visual thinking and repetition, the rest (slickness, cohesion, etc.) i don't believe really comes from training and generally comes from game day
Indeed, how many of us thought we looked good last pre-season? Come on, admit it, I did!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If there's one thing the Rebels have been guilty of in seasons past, it's definitely not doing enough visual thinking.

Definitely hoping for more visual thinking in 2018.

D

daz

Indeed, how many of us thought we looked good last pre-season? Come on, admit it, I did!

Ha! Yep, nothing like getting all excited at winning a couple of pre-season games, only to end up being gutted with a wooden spoon at the end of the season. Quite a few of us were guilty of that, mate!

D

daz

If there's one thing the Rebels have been guilty of in seasons past, it's definitely not doing enough visual thinking.

Definitely hoping for more visual thinking in 2018.

Translating that to mean: Kicking away the ball, because they don't know what else to do with it. Dear Lord, please let there be no more: 1. Kicking as the first response to any situation. 2. Crooked throws on attacking lineouts. 3. Passing once before dropping the ball. 4. Letting the opposition score less than 3 heartbeats after we cross the chalk . Etc, etc. Amen.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Translating that to mean: Kicking away the ball, because they don't know what else to do with it. Dear Lord, please let there be no more: 1. Kicking as the first response to any situation. 2. Crooked throws on attacking lineouts. 3. Passing once before dropping the ball. 4. Letting the opposition score less than 3 heartbeats after we cross the chalk . Etc, etc. Amen.
5. on those occasions when a kick makes sense we put in a decent kick chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.