• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Ivanhoe stopped I heard and other schools cut back

THey used to be strong back in the early 90's, then got dunped back to 2nd Div (with my school). Didn't thinkg they were still running a team. Certainly not present in the APS right now.

Aside from Marcellin and Trinity, it appears the other AGSV school are focused on AFL, Football, and Hockey for winter.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
THey used to be strong back in the early 90's, then got dunped back to 2nd Div (with my school). Didn't thinkg they were still running a team. Certainly not present in the APS right now.

Aside from Marcellin and Trinity, it appears the other AGSV school are focused on AFL, Football, and Hockey for winter.

My school never had a team

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I only got one season at my school. From APS premiers, to no team in 3 years. Drivin by a Head of School who just hated Rugby.

Found my way to clubland eventually, and an exemption from playing Footy.

You'd think with the campus up in that northern growth area of melbourne that Ivanhoe would want a Rugby option

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
You'd think with the campus up in that northern growth area of melbourne that Ivanhoe would want a Rugby option

The Mernda Campus? Yea, it would make good sense. Would be goodto see Parade College back in the mix, if they haven't joined that comp with the other midweek teams.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What happened to St Patrick's? A few years after I finished playing, they came from nowhere, promoted from 2nd div to 1st then I think they won a title? Or at least came very close? And now they've gone? Bit odd?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
What happened to St Patrick's? A few years after I finished playing, they came from nowhere, promoted from 2nd div to 1st then I think they won a title? Or at least came very close? And now they've gone? Bit odd?

Came close, but old mate St Kevins won the last final they played in.

From what I hear te TIC Rugby moved to another school, and so the interest in the Rugby proggram left with him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Came close, but old mate St Kevins won the last final they played in.

From what I hear te TIC Rugby moved to another school, and so the interest in the Rugby proggram left with him.

Amazing that one teacher could get them to final contenders then without their presence there's not enough interest to even have a team let alone be competitive. Have St Kevins lost a final since... 2011?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Amazing that one teacher could get them to final contenders then without their presence there's not enough interest to even have a team let alone be competitive. Have St Kevins lost a final since. 2011?

I think perhaps one, not sure who to. They have a amazing group of very qualified coaches (some even Level 3) and plenty of depth (two teams in U13 and 14).

There is one key man that keeps this all together. He's been around even before I played schools.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think perhaps one, not sure who to. They have a amazing group of very qualified coaches (some even Level 3) and plenty of depth (two teams in U13 and 14).

There is one key man that keeps this all together. He's been around even before I played schools.

Is that Kevin Culliver? Good on him if so.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep, it's Kevin. He's done a LOT for Victorian schools Rugby. Regularly spotted at schoolboy matches, always up for a chat.

I haven't been involved for a while now but he did lead a tour I was on of the NH which included a 2 day in depth tour of the Somme (I think History is his teaching area). It might've been lost on us teenagers at the time but I appreciate his passion!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I haven't been involved for a while now but he did lead a tour I was on of the NH which included a 2 day in depth tour of the Somme (I think History is his teaching area). It might've been lost on us teenagers at the time but I appreciate his passion!

When he's not a Rugby manager, he's also a history teacher at St Kevins. Would explain his passion.

Think he said he's done aobut 10 tours up north. I never had the privilidge of a VSRU tour, just VJRU/VRU.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

I went to a government school so I never played at school

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I was just looking at some stats for 2021(including Au and TT).

Michael Wells is the Rebels' leading try scorer in 2021 with 3. The only other players to score more than one try are Lachlan Anderson and Joe Powell.

Matt To'omua has scored 108 of the Rebels' 194 points.

Doesn't say much for any creativity we have in the back line.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was just looking at some stats for 2021(including Au and TT).

Michael Wells is the Rebels' leading try scorer in 2021 with 3. The only other players to score more than one try are Lachlan Anderson and Joe Powell.

Matt To'omua has scored 108 of the Rebels' 194 points.

Doesn't say much for any creativity we have in the back line.
Some interesting trivia, ex Rebel Angus Cottrell is currently the highest try scorer in the US MLR, with Harrison Goddard not far behind. Both playing for the Aussie, sorry, LA Giltinis.