• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Re-signed with the reds in June after the end of the contracting freeze, so you'll have to wait another 2 years at least:

https://reds.rugby/news/2020/07/30/st-george-queensland-reds-re-sign-hunter-paisami-through-2022
Look doubt that he would want to comeback after the way he exited Melbourne. From the outside looking in it looks like Queensland has helped him mature as a person and as a professional athlete and he feels like he owes them. But with Stewart at 12 and Petaia at 13 he will have to come off the bench at Queensland where he could start at the Brumbies Tahs or Force if he didn’t want to return to Melbourne

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Two things the first one I was having a look at the age of our pack as Phillip is the only player there who seems to be a leader. So I went over the age of the pack that played yesterday and others who played for us in super Rugby AU

1 Orr 25
2 Uelese 23
3 Ainsley 25
4 Phillip 26
5 Hosea 20
6 Wilkin 24
7 Hardwick 26
8 Naisarani 25

16 Maafu 22
17 Eloff 22
18 Gibbon 25
19 Stolberg 28
20 Leota 23

Pone 23
Kemeny 21
Wells 27
Haangana 21
Abel 19

I think we are lacking a veteran forward who has that experience and can be a leader for us. While our pack looks very promising a few wise heads in there would only add to the development of the young blokes in my opinion

My other point feel free to disagree as I am relatively new to rugby in terms of supporting the game and when I played many years ago as a kid was a forward so some of the nuances of the back line go over my head.

But I was thinking what about To'omua at 13? I hear people say it’s a hard spot to defend and To'omua is considered one of the best defenders in Aus rugby. If Carter Gordon is coming and if he lives up the the wraps we could start him at 10 look for a crash runner at 12 would love Paisami as much as I doubt he would come back. To'omua at 13 would have the option of hitting the 12 back on the inside or linking up with the winger on the outside or the full back of up in the line and would give us that second play making option that we are lacking at the moment.

The possible floors I see is To'omua is not suited to 13 and or Gordon isn’t coming to Melbourne or isn’t ready to start at 10 in Super Rugby

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Hopefully Bobby Tuttle gets another year.

Not sold on Lomani or Strang.

If we could get Isaak Fines outta the Brums, I'd be into it. Also not sure if Sorovi would be gettable

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Hopefully Bobby Tuttle gets another year.

Not sold on Lomani or Strang.

If we could get Isaak Fines outta the Brums, I'd be into it. Also not sure if Sorovi would be gettable
What about Powell, was talked about as a potential Wallaby a few years ago and now will sit behind White

B

Bobby Sands

Powell would be a great get. Surely he doesn’t stay in Canberra.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It'd do wonders for his reputation in my household. In Brumbies colours he's an annoying prick, but put him in navy blue and I might just start to warm to him!

Yeah, we always sing Willy Wonka songs when we see him - he has this young Gene Wilder look to him. Well, it keeps the GMR household amused (doesn't take much at the moment)! Still, would tone that down (a bit) if he headed south.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Philip took out players player of the year. No surprises there with his performances.

On the transfer front we desperately need a no.9 so Powell would hopefully be the top priority and a centre although hopefully Semisi Tupou gets offered a new contract if his acl has recovered, could be the inside or outside centre we need.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Philip took out players player of the year. No surprises there with his performances.

Best season I've seen from him. Hopefully his OS sojourn is just that. But knowing how much the NH value Aussie locks, I predict a long illustrious career for him being paid bags & bags of moolah up north.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I think Power will come in Melbourne in 2021. Probably waiting for AR to finish before annoucing.

Not sold on To'omua at 13. THink he's better at 10/12. Let Gordon (if he's confired) and Deegan fight it out for 10.

If you want an off-contract general for 12, K-Hunt might be an astute buy.

Perhaps I'm clutching at straws, but doesn't Philip have a get-out clause in his contract if he get gold time in 2020? THe other problem; if he stays, doe he get to pick another Club, or will he be encouraged (or even obligated) to return to Mexico? I don't know how his contract is strucutrd, but I thought he was signed until the end of 2021?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Power will come in Melbourne in 2021. Probably waiting for AR to finish before annoucing.

Not sold on To'omua at 13. THink he's better at 10/12. Let Gordon (if he's confired) and Deegan fight it out for 10.

If you want an off-contract general for 12, K-Hunt might be an astute buy.
Perhaps I'm clutching at straws, but doesn't Philip have a get-out clause in his contract if he get gold time in 2020? THe other problem; if he stays, doe he get to pick another Club, or will he be encouraged (or even obligated) to return to Mexico? I don't know how his contract is strucutrd, but I thought he was signed until the end of 2021?
My 89 year-old father asked me at the weekend “where did Deegan come from?”. “From the Force but originally he’s from NSW” I replied. “Well they can send him back, he’s hopeless” was his harsh, but possibly fair response.

As for Hunt, maybe, I was not a huge fan when he was at the Reds but can see the hard work he put in at the Tahs. Do we want old generals or eager young cadets? I often wonder how the Rebels might have started if they went with a young ex-under 20 squad with just a handful of old heads as opposed to the retirement village they opted for.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’d love to see Semisi Tupou given a crack in the centres. It was only 12 months ago he was one of the best young players in the country. Obviously a cruel acl injury denied him an opportunity this season but he could fit well in that troublesome 12/13 spot next season or even the now vacant wing spot. Mosese Tuipulotu (brother of Sione) is another massive talent, he was apart of the senior squad earlier this season. Has played 2/3 Shute shield games since completing his quarantine period and already got MOTM in one of them.

3rd choice TH will probably go to Alex Sa’aga who has been starting for UQ in Bris Prem.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
3rd choice TH will probably go to Alex Sa’aga who has been starting for UQ in Bris Prem.
Is Junior Uelese not the development prop we would want? I know his only 19/20 but his a big boy and would be a good development for the future.