• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Starting to look that way, he was always coaching for his career this season
You look at brumbies and reds and success they have which was right blend of coaches. I have coaches as plural as clearly thorn was green coach but got quality assistant coaches around him eg Jim McKay

Wessels and Berne both need to go imo.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Or maybe we need a DoR to come with more experience and new ideas? - I think Wessels has done a fantastic job on building a "team culture", he could do with a mentor I feel.

You look at brumbies and reds and success they have which was right blend of coaches. I have coaches as plural as clearly thorn was green coach but got quality assistant coaches around him eg Jim McKay

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or maybe we need a DoR to come with more experience and new ideas? - I think Wessels has done a fantastic job on building a "team culture", he could do with a mentor I feel.

Hmm maybe yes not got the right balance of people around wessels as early days especially thorn was pretty green but put some quality people around him

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

IMO you cant compare a football factory program like the brumbies with ours. Dave had time the board has been patient but it just doesn't seem like its working out. If it doesn't improve over the next 2 months shake hands no hard feelings good luck with your next move.

Dave is not a bad person or a bad coach its just not clicking atm & everyone has a used by date even a players coach like Chieka.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
IMO you cant compare a football factory program like the brumbies with ours. Dave had time the board has been patient but it just doesn't seem like its working out. If it doesn't improve over the next 2 months shake hands no hard feelings good luck with your next move.

Dave is not a bad person or a bad coach its just not clicking atm & everyone has a used by date even a players coach like Chieka.

Well with Dave Wessels contract finishing at end of the year at least they won't waste money on a payout, and surely no chance of having his contract renewed as just failed to deliver with what on paper has been quality squad for 4 years as others pointed out. Hopefully Rebels can put money towards (and successfully attract/recruit) a high calibre coaching candidate.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well with Dave Wessels contract finishing at end of the year at least they won't waste money on a payout, and surely no chance of having his contract renewed as just failed to deliver with what on paper has been quality squad for 4 years as others pointed out. Hopefully Rebels can put money towards (and successfully attract/recruit) a high calibre coaching candidate.

I do like Wessles, but you can't argue over the time he has had compared to results.

But. Please do not simply ditch the bloke without having a plan in place and the ability to carry out that plan.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do like Wessles, but you can't argue over the time he has had compared to results.

But. Please do not simply ditch the bloke without having a plan in place and the ability to carry out that plan.

Agree but Wessels contract coming to an end this season and it would have to be the dumbest commercial decision to renew him at this point (and then pay contract break fees). So the planning should be starting now on the quiet at least...

I also think it would be sending out the wrong message on performance expectations for players if Wessels was renewed so he just has to go.

Reactions: dru

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Who would you target as a replacement for Wessels? Any Oz coaches currently overseas or QPR/SS coaches you would like to look at?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Who would you target as a replacement for Wessels? Any Oz coaches currently overseas or QPR/SS coaches you would like to look at?

DC if he wants to coach at Super Rugby level without the pressure of the Tahs job. But a lot can happen in the next 8 games we might turn is around upset the brumbies in the 1st final then he can go into his review & say "look what I have done that no one else has before with half my list inj" & get an extension

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Daren Coleman had a pretty successful record with Warringah and leading Gordon to its first final in 22 years. So could be worst choices then him (currently coaching MLR side in USA).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
DC if he wants to coach at Super Rugby level without the pressure of the Tahs job. But a lot can happen in the next 8 games we might turn is around upset the brumbies in the 1st final then he can go into his review & say "look what I have done that no one else has before with half my list inj" & get an extension

too funny just posted on Darren Coleman and noted you had beat me to the punch.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like he is going to win another title, Hopefully he can bring back Harrison Goddard Super Rugby & get the most out of him utter waist in the MLR
Darren Coleman was going to coach western Sydney grr side before Hore and NSWRU turned away that private equity investment. Wonder how clever that decision looks now...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

What?! you want us to plan? This is the lucky country, mate. We don't do that here.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
This is Wessels 4th year in charge(same as Thorn), and i don't believe the Rebels squad has made any noticeable improvement over that period despite having one of the better squads on paper.

Having a good squad on paper is only valuable if you play on paper.
The reality is the quality of the squads has been vastly over estimated.
Effectively merging two average sides does not suddenly make a great side it just makes a larger average side.
It has always in that time been a squad with some glaring holes in it and when you add a crippling injury list most of the time it means he has rarely had anywhere near his best squad on the park.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rebels confirm Reece Hodge MCL (medial collateral ligament) injury. He will miss rest of Super Rugby Au and Trans Tasman competition.