• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
May look worse if O'Connor doesn't re-sign for next season.
Now that would be an interesting concept. With the ruckus that Gordon caused by leaving do you think Brad would ask him to come back? After the Reds vs Rebel’s last game, I watched a number of Red’s players and Jimmy rally around and even jump all over Gordon on the field. It’s fair to say that the players would accept him back into the team.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m sure the players would be fine. I find it a bit hard to believe Thorn would have a major issue either. I know he was reported to be disappointed when he left - but he’d have spent his whole career watching guys move for opportunity.

One question though - did Gordon stay with Piccone? From what I remember it was a pretty controversial signing because Piccone approached the Rebels even though Gordon had parted with him as a manager and then used it as a carrot to lure him back. I doubt the Reds have changed their position on Piccone.

Edit : apologies - this is going off topic from the Rebels. If anyone would prefer I move this comment, that’s fine. Let me know and I’ll move or delete it.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Congratulations to Matt To'omua who today moved to 3rd on Melbourne Rebels all time points scorers list.

1 Reece Hodge 389
2 Jack Debreczeni 246
3 Matt To'omua 218
4 Jason Woodward 210
5 James O'Connor 201

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Well its pretty much come down to 1 game for Dave to save his bacon, no its not his fault we couldn't hold the ball for 20 seconds before half time break & Banks goes in nor did he spill the ball after the final whistle however 2 wins in 9 weeks is not good enough & if he doesn't make it 3 & at least scrape into the finals I feel his time will be up.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Another crap performance. Poor game management. Taking the shot with 9 minutes to go was brain dead rugby. If we went for the try we could of then taken the shot when we won the scrum penalty

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Another crap performance. Poor game management. Taking the shot with 9 minutes to go was brain dead rugby. If we went for the try we could of then taken the shot when we won the scrum penalty
Disagree. Timing-wise the kick made sense as two scores were needed. This is exactly what O’Connor did against us last season and I thought why but the Reds got the try. It’s taking easy points on offer with some time left. It was not far off working, if not for bloody poor handling. You also assume in this alternate timeline the scrum penalty would have occurred. Have you never watched Back To The Future?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
taking the points on offer is very rarely the WRONG thing to do. what has killed the Rebels the past few games has been poor execution, poor handling and turnovers - look at the stats from these games , double or more the turnovers c/w the opposition. all the other stats are in the Rebels favour.

the issue is that this is a recurrent problem, i have been waiting 11 years for the team to finally "click", but it never does, perpetually disappointing.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)

Taking the points at the time was exactly the right thing to do.

The Rebels lost the game due to handling errors and a couple of absolute head-scratching yellow cards.
The Rebels biggest issue for the last few years has been an inability to manage the ball when in possession.
They appear to lack ideas about how to breakdown the opposition defence so end up taking silly risks in possession and drop a lot of balls because of bad decision making. The number of pushed passes resulting in loss of possession is worse than any other side.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Justin Harrison for new coach of Rebels , someone has to be able to make the team " click " as swingpass says ,, has my vote

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Taking the points at the time was exactly the right thing to do.

The Rebels lost the game due to handling errors and a couple of absolute head-scratching yellow cards.
The Rebels biggest issue for the last few years has been an inability to manage the ball when in possession.
They appear to lack ideas about how to breakdown the opposition defence so end up taking silly risks in possession and drop a lot of balls because of bad decision making. The number of pushed passes resulting in loss of possession is worse than any other side.
We had to take the more aggressive option and try and win the game. Getting with in 6 and getting a bonus point was no good to us. The penalty goal gave us next to no chance to win.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Disagree. Timing-wise the kick made sense as two scores were needed. This is exactly what O’Connor did against us last season and I thought why but the Reds got the try. It’s taking easy points on offer with some time left. It was not far off working, if not for bloody poor handling. You also assume in this alternate timeline the scrum penalty would have occurred. Have you never watched Back To The Future?
Maybe the scrum penalty doesn’t occur maybe we score 7 points and knock on off the kick off and give them 7 straight back. The point is our best chance of winning came through scoring a try

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
We had to take the more aggressive option and try and win the game. Getting with in 6 and getting a bonus point was no good to us. The penalty goal gave us next to no chance to win.

Getting within 6 was not about the bonus point, it was getting into a position to win the game. Either way we needed 2 scores and the first was a gift right in front, what do you not understand about that? It was enough that the Brumbies even attempted a drop goal cause they were feeling the pressure.

By now you have noticed, not one person on this website has agreed with you and backed up your argument. Move on.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Getting within 6 was not about the bonus point, it was getting into a position to win the game. Either way we needed 2 scores and the first was a gift right in front, what do you not understand about that? It was enough that the Brumbies even attempted a drop goal cause they were feeling the pressure.

By now you have noticed, not one person on this website has agreed with you and backed up your argument. Move on.
And if they hit that drop goal then taking the 3 was a complete waste of time. Going for a try gives you a better chance of winning. You can stick with your conservative tactics I don’t care but they will take us nowhere