• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bit sobering when you realise Wessels is probably our most successful coach and he didn't perform near what we hoped. By no means is the only way up.
You guys were on course for a genuinely stellar year when you got Egon Seconded and just never recovered.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yep.63% winning record really is nothing to sneeze at. Better than my impression of the Cheika years in charge of the Wallabies and iinm his name has been mentioned in relation to the Tahs.
Cheika, who clearly overstayed his welcome at the Wallabies, still won a club title in both hemisphere's (the only one?) and made a RWC final.

Not even a close comparison.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Rebels best bet would be to ask Scott Johnson to step in while they do a worldwide search for a new coach. I know a car park that has turned up a few coaches over the years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You saying that so we don't sign up DC/Frier before you guys do? ;)
Just read fox sports report - yeh Darren Coleman would be my pick for tahs coach as impeccable record in club land and deserves his time. Also know shute shield players inside out so would help with talent identification. I could see why rebels would be courting him as amazed not got a gig in oz after being the the western Sydney grr coach before nswru chiefs in their wisdom Cannes that.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Rebels best bet would be to ask Scott Johnson to step in while they do a worldwide search for a new coach. I know a car park that has turned up a few coaches over the years.

Hell yes. Why didn't I think of that. Rebels need a talent scout in Ballymore immediately.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Confirmation from Kintetsu Liners that Nick Stiles, Sean Hedger & Eoin Toolan are among the multiple coaches & players (which include Michael Stolberg) that have been released - despite 75% winning record (84% in competition games) over past 2 years

https://bit.ly/3e8EN48
I’d be seriously giving them a look in. Stiles has been around the Rebels on occasion. OK, so the Reds didn’t go well for Nick but he didn’t get much of a shot at it.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
As much as I didn't like Stiles he wasn't exactly setup for success. Two rookie assistant coaches. They knew they did the wrong thing a rectified it with Thorn getting Mackay and Ryan in. He probably deserves another shot.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stiles did well to coach Brisbane City in back to back premierships in the NRC, I think he would have learned a lot from the 2017 coaching experience at the Reds, in particular about setting professional standards for players to adhere to. Which some players took advantage of back then.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I'm completely flawed that the Rebs let Wessels go before Super Rugby:TT.
From a perspective Coach what's the better job the Rebels or the Waratahs?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm completely flawed that the Rebs let Wessels go before Super Rugby:TT.
From a perspective Coach what's the better job the Rebels or the Waratahs?
My guess is Dave felt a win against the Kiwis in TT was unlikely so asked to leave to help preserve his win ratio. I’m sure he knew and / or was told his contract was not going to be renewed. He’s not leaving the “company “ until the end of his contract, though.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Melbourne Rebels have today announced their new coaching team structure following the announcement last Friday from Head Coach Dave Wessels that he was standing down.
Kevin Foote, currently assistant coach, will step into the role of Interim Head Coach, commencing today.
In another change, the Melbourne Rebels have also announced that assistant coach Shaun Berne will not be continuing in his role as Attack Coach and will be finishing up ahead of the Trans-Tasman series.
With the departure of Shaun Berne and the support of Rugby Australia, Wallabies Coaching staff will be working closely with the Melbourne Rebels in a short-term capacity.
Current Wallabies Forwards coach and former British and Irish Lions and England player Geoff Parling remains as Forwards coach while the highly experienced and regarded Will Markwick will continue as Head of Performance driving all aspects of athletic performance.
The Melbourne Rebels will also be making some high profile player retention signings in the next few weeks.

https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/...aching-team-structure-for-trans-tasman-series

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I know SFA about Kevin Foote. But can't say I'm sorry to see Shan Berne go, our attack is dire. Quite happy to have Wallabies coaches step in as well, can't hurt.

Who will be the signing retentions?

Not Isi, not Koroibete. Has To'omua been announced?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From the front page of the 2022 thread, here's who haven't re-signed and I'd consider "high profile":

Cabous Eloff (2021?)
Trevor Hosea (2021)
Isi Naisarani (2021)
Rob Leota (2021)
Richard Hardwick (2021)
Frank Lomani (2021)
Matt To'omua (2021)
Dane Haylett-Petty (2021)

Curious about DHP. I think it will be Hosea & To'omua, hopefully the Caboose too.