• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
8 x 18 year olds into the full time squad? That’s a risky move I reckon.

24 players currently signed plus this 8. That will do it right?

I am happy we have extra Victorians in the squad. Although, Reg I tend to agree with you 8 x 18 year olds is a big risk. Not a lot of star power added to the squad either. Particularly as we have lost Koroibete and Naisarani.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am happy we have extra Victorians in the squad. Although, Reg I tend to agree with you 8 x 18 year olds is a big risk. Not a lot of star power added to the squad either. Particularly as we have lost Koroibete and Naisarani.
If you are good enough you are old enough.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If we take players from QLD, others aren't happy. This is great news. Gives them a chance to have a red hot go. There's always been a little ambiguity around squad sizes etc, so let's judge it on face value come Rd 1, 2021, when we see what the full squad looks like. Remember, this year Ili and a couple others weren't announced until the season kicked off.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
hopefully they are adjuncts to the squad and not the replacements, losing 3 test players and recruiting a bunch of talented kids (looking at the photo i use the term advisably) is not the way to go imo.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tough to find information on these guys. Anyone know what position these three are?

Antonio Masina
Patrick Lavemai
Labron Naea

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
I would say it will be a lot like when they signed up Rob Leota at 18. They will be signed and will train with the squad but realistically they are filling the roles of the old EPS contracts.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So the Rebels have just announced 8 academy members have been signed into the 2022 Super rugby squad.

Joeli Niubalavu, Patrick Lavemai, Eyda Haisila, Lebron Naea, Antonio Masina, Divad Palu, Sebastian Sialau and Daniel Maiava

dsc00156-copy.jpg
Strong PI background

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d say they both got caught out by the travel bubble requirements towards Queensland, it changed after the Fiji team had already arrived in NZ for quarantine and was expected to open up again which it didn’t. It was too late for them to quarantine in time.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
And cheap enough.

We are assuming they are good enough for Super Rugby, when it could be more realistic that they are the best available, developing, affordable youths and want to secure them.
I don’t know why all of you from other states have a need to knock these blokes. Look at how many Vics have come through and done well if the club believes these blokes are ready that’s good enough for me. It also helps build a culture at the Rebels that relying on blow ins will never give us

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
if you ever get to see a Dewar Shied game in your life you'll understand the strong PI numbers among all age levels of RV rep teams/Rebels academies.
Let’s face it, not many white boys play rugby here and if they do a lot get lost to Aussie Rules. The islander communities in Melbourne are the backbone of rugby here and it’s good to see the investment into the development of these boys so they have an opportunity to go pro

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
if you ever get to see a Dewar Shied game in your life you'll understand the strong PI numbers among all age levels of RV rep teams/Rebels academies.
Yep get it - but as nsw resident now days I don’t get to see it. I think this is fantastic tapped into Pi community (read nswru/ RA screwed this up with no western Sydney strategy) but whilst big tick solving the Pi talent dilemma appears failed on the broader rugby talent acquisition. In fairness also calling our nswru abysmal failure on tapping into Pi talent in Sydney here.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I don’t know why all of you from other states have a need to knock these blokes. Look at how many Vics have come through and done well if the club believes these blokes are ready that’s good enough for me. It also helps build a culture at the Rebels that relying on blow ins will never give us

Well said, damned if we do (produce our own), damned if we don't ('pillage' other states). Interesting to see two Vics in Hunter & Rob starting for the Wallabies on Wednesday. No reason these lads can't do the same with a FT opportunity

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep get it - but as nsw resident now days I don’t get to see it. I think this is fantastic tapped into Pi community (read nswru/ RA screwed this up with no western Sydney strategy) but whilst big tick solving the Pi talent dilemma appears failed on the broader rugby talent acquisition. In fairness also calling our nswru abysmal failure on tapping into Pi talent in Sydney here.
Ps I think Nswru really screwed up on not tapping into PI talent for extra brand value they bring as humble, talented, athletic and god loving people they ‘generally’ are. The PI values they bring to rugby is huge and not often enough commented on.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well said, damned if we do (produce our own), damned if we don't ('pillage' other states). Interesting to see two Vics in Hunter & Rob starting for the Wallabies on Wednesday. No reason these lads can't do the same with a FT opportunity
Exactly Jordy, Trev and Rob all on the fringes no reason we couldn’t see the day were a third of the side is Victorian