• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Personally it’s nothing against the 8 players. I am sure there are super talents. But they are 18 and there’s 8 of them. All coming into the Super Rugby squad. It’s genuinely an incredible decision if they are legit full time contracts and quite frankly scary for the Rebels.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Personally it’s nothing against the 8 players. I am sure there are super talents. But they are 18 and there’s 8 of them. All coming into the Super Rugby squad. It’s genuinely an incredible decision if they are legit full time contracts and quite frankly scary for the Rebels.
But obviously it’s a look to the future and it’s a good call, they may not challenge for a senior game for the next few years but if the club can get their development right you have a core of players who playing in Melbourne means something to them. For far too long we have taken prospects from other states that we have invested time in and then they have left

Wilson

David Codey (61)
But obviously it’s a look to the future and it’s a good call, they may not challenge for a senior game for the next few years but if the club can get their development right you have a core of players who playing in Melbourne means something to them. For far too long we have taken prospects from other states that we have invested time in and then they have left

If there's 8 of them in the full squad then most of them are getting game time next year, whether or not they're challenging for it, or even ready for that level. Squad sizes aren't big enough to carry 8 non-playing members.

\No one is against the Rebels developing local Victorians and if they were announced as wider training squad members or development contracts that would be a different story. The issue here is that the announcement is suggesting they're all part of the full super squad and what that means for the Rebels depth next year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If there's 8 of them in the full squad then most of them are getting game time next year, whether or not they're challenging for it, or even ready for that level. Squad sizes aren't big enough to carry 8 non-playing members.

\No one is against the Rebels developing local Victorians and if they were announced as wider training squad members or development contracts that would be a different story. The issue here is that the announcement is suggesting they're all part of the full super squad and what that means for the Rebels depth next year.

What's a development contract in Victoria even mean? There is no tier below Super Rugby there that will give them any meaningful level of development. Do they just hang around, run drills in training and go to the gym a lot?

Having said that. I don't know what it means anywhere. Even Shute Shield doesn't prepare players for a step up or develop them in any meaningful way.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's a development contract in Victoria even mean? There is no tier below Super Rugby there that will give them any meaningful level of development. Do they just hang around, run drills in training and go to the gym a lot?

Having said that. I don't know what it means anywhere. Even Shute Shield doesn't prepare players for a step up or develop them in any meaningful way.

it means they'll all be playing club rugby in QLD most likely

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t know why all of you from other states have a need to knock these blokes. Look at how many Vics have come through and done well if the club believes these blokes are ready that’s good enough for me. It also helps build a culture at the Rebels that relying on blow ins will never give us

I'll knock any professional team that promotes 8 teenagers to their fulltime senior squad. I get nervous enough when teams sign players to senior contracts straight on the back of Aussie U20 - let alone U18.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There is a lot of strong discussion on RV/Rebels kids coming through, all I will say is (& I have said it before) we had as many in our squad in 2021 as the storm have produced in 20 years. On top of that we had a bloke play 6 last wednesday who came through the RV system not even in our squad. Everyone should feel proud we are doing our bit.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Let’s face it, not many white boys play rugby here and if they do a lot get lost to Aussie Rules. The islander communities in Melbourne are the backbone of rugby here and it’s good to see the investment into the development of these boys so they have an opportunity to go pro

Josh Canham is a junior wallaby! lol but I personally dont care if its a group of PI/NZ/ENG/RSA kids come through as long as i have a few games to travel 2 hours to & from a few times a yr i'm happy

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
But I guess the concern is that if 8 players are in your full time squad then the majority of the are going to be needed to play regular Super Rugby next year. Which seems to be the point that most posters are trying to clarify.

I think your misreading the room here (or I am misunderstanding this whole discussion). No one in Australian rugby is going to be disappointed with the Rebels being able to recruit and develop their own, but we also want to see the Rebels competing for top spot in the table next year and that is going to be very hard to do it those 8 players are part of the main Rebels squad. If they are all part of the wider development squad then I think that is wonderful news. I also don’t see anyone bagging the individual players. But 19 year olds who are competitive at Super Rugby level are few and far between - although it does happen.

Across all of the teams, I think sometimes we all get guilty of basing our opinions too much on the quality of the first choice starting XV. In terms of overall success in the competition the strength of squad members 16 - 32ish is just as vital.

In any case I expect this is much ado about nothing. I would find it very surprising if it isnt the case that these 8 guys are on development contracts as part of the broader squad.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In any case I expect this is much ado about nothing. I would find it very surprising if these 8 guys are on development contracts as part of the broader squad.

This, I suspect. Just a matter of terminology in the press. Great news that Rebels are investing in locals.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Josh Canham is a junior wallaby! lol but I personally dont care if its a group of PI/NZ/ENG/RSA kids come through as long as i have a few games to travel 2 hours to & from a few times a yr i'm happy
I am not saying no white boys play I just said from my experience Islanders are the backbone of Victorian rugby

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But I guess the concern is that if 8 players are in your full time squad then the majority of the are going to be needed to play regular Super Rugby next year. Which seems to be the point that most posters are trying to clarify.

I think your misreading the room here (or I am misunderstanding this whole discussion). No one in Australian rugby is going to be disappointed with the Rebels being able to recruit and develop their own, but we also want to see the Rebels competing for top spot in the table next year and that is going to be very hard to do it those 8 players are part of the main Rebels squad. If they are all part of the wider development squad then I think that is wonderful news. I also don’t see anyone bagging the individual players. But 19 year olds who are competitive at Super Rugby level are few and far between - although it does happen.

Across all of the teams, I think sometimes we all get guilty of basing our opinions too much on the quality of the first choice starting XV. In terms of overall success in the competition the strength of squad members 16 - 32ish is just as vital.

In any case I expect this is much ado about nothing. I would find it very surprising if these 8 guys are on development contracts as part of the broader squad.
Look nowhere does it say they have been promoted to the squad full time. I agree squad depth is important and is what holds the Australian sides back, I feel though that the investment in local products will help build that depth up in time as they have more skin in the game in Melbourne

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I'll knock any professional team that promotes 8 teenagers to their fulltime senior squad. I get nervous enough when teams sign players to senior contracts straight on the back of Aussie U20 - let alone U18.
Yet you don’t even know if this has happened

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Look nowhere does it say they have been promoted to the squad full time. I agree squad depth is important and is what holds the Australian sides back, I feel though that the investment in local products will help build that depth up in time as they have more skin in the game in Melbourne
Okay. I might be misinterpreting the comments and the press release. It seemed to me that the whole discussion was around the premise that the press release indicated they had been promoted to the full squad.

I think you’ll find most if not all of us interstate supporters think it’s a wonderful thing that Victoria is producing guys like Hosea & Leota and seeing them backing & investing in the next generation is great news for both Victoria and Australian rugby. The most simple solution I can think of to combat the escalating drain of players OS is to increase the top of the funnel and there is no doubt that the Victorian pathways system is bringing through some very good quality players.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Okay. I might be misinterpreting the comments and the press release. It seemed to me that the whole discussion was around the premise that the press release indicated they had been promoted to the full squad.

I think you’ll find most if not all of us interstate supporters think it’s a wonderful thing that Victoria is producing guys like Hosea & Leota and seeing them backing & investing in the next generation is great news for both Victoria and Australian rugby. The most simple solution I can think of to combat the escalating drain of players OS is to increase the top of the funnel and there is no doubt that the Victorian pathways system is bringing through some very good quality players.
It doesn’t specify what squad they have been added to and is very light on for information. Don’t even know if these blokes are forwards or backs

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty keen to see how Gordon goes with a full super season. Regularly nails sideline conversions and has such a lovely long pass. Tends to throw the intercept occasionally but that can be ironed out quickly.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Look nowhere does it say they have been promoted to the squad full time.

"The Melbourne Rebels are delighted to announce that eight Rebels’ Under-18’s Academy members have been signed to the club’s Super Rugby squad for the upcoming 2022 season."

Saying they were "Academy members" and have not signed to the "Super Rugby squad" kinda indicates it.

"Melbourne Rebels’ Head Coach, Kevin Foote, said: “It’s been awesome to have the next wave of ‘Burn Boy’s coming through the pathway systems and now receiving the opportunity to be part of our club and culture."

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"The Melbourne Rebels are delighted to announce that eight Rebels’ Under-18’s Academy members have been signed to the club’s Super Rugby squad for the upcoming 2022 season."

Saying they were "Academy members" and have not signed to the "Super Rugby squad" kinda indicates it.

"Melbourne Rebels’ Head Coach, Kevin Foote, said: “It’s been awesome to have the next wave of ‘Burn Boy’s coming through the pathway systems and now receiving the opportunity to be part of our club and culture."

Yes it does. I'd be surprised if it is specifically what they meant though.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
This appears to me to be similar to the Western Force Extended Player Squad (EPS) players as a way of retaining young players as part of the program. I doubt if these players are replacing squad members or having a major impact on the salary cap.

In WA the WF Academy is usually for U20 players (usually post secondary school) - but there is talk about extending an ongoing structure and P/T development down to U18 and U16.

In WA the Force Academy players train with the main WF player squad.
The EPS players are treated in the same way as other F/T squad members.
However, from the limited discussions I've had in this area they are payed at a lower level (with some development $s from RA which is outside the salary cap) with little chance of frequent game time - more of a development position. But if good enough, and needed, then they could be playing.

It would appear that at the WF, some of the EPS squad (Makara and Pugh) are being transferred into the main player squad. I would expect other upgrades to be announced.