• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Home of current Scottish international. Was always a good road trip down there as a kid
Couple of guys in the Drua team went through Dewar.

Two Tahs are also Victorian players. (Tuipulotu and Faulkner).

Vailanu was also in the Vic system when he first moved to Aus from NZ

Seru Uru is another that spent his initial time in Aus in Dewar. Was training with Rebels wider squad but decided to move to Bris for a better platform to show his talents.

CLL is another one that grew up in Vic

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Seru Uru is another that spent his initial time in Aus in Dewar. Was training with Rebels wider squad but decided to move to Bris for a better platform to show his talents.

Ah yes I forgot about the tahs boys.

Uru played a couple of games for Powerhouse when he was in our nrc squad not RV junior

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

The junior programs are doing well down here and I would expect with the increased investment in high performance and pathways that we will see that grow again.

Senior numbers are a concern but.

I am too old to have played junior rugby when they had the Rebels in Melbourne so back then not that I ever made it the best you could hope for was to make the state side go to NSW and get smashed. I love the fact there is something the strive for now as a kid in Vic

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Serious question - what’s the odds Foote a) makes the end of the season before being sacked and / or b) gets another season beyond this season as coach.

Recruiting the assistant coach associated with past years of rebels failures always seemed an odd decision to grow, develop and get to the next level of better performance.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Serious question - what’s the odds Foote a) makes the end of the season before being sacked and / or b) gets another season beyond this season as coach.

Recruiting the assistant coach associated with past years of rebels failures always seemed an odd decision to grow, develop and get to the next level of better performance.
Every chance he will be re appointed

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Melbourne Rebels away jerseys now 98% off

melbt_zpsux4nbnav_(1).png

$1.29 O.N.O
creditcards1.gif

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Every chance he will be re appointed
Interested to know who you'd be keen on and could possibly get.

Macqueen hadn't coached for 8-10years and was more a name. Hill had spent time in Japan but only a season under Macqueen in a super rugby program, McGahan reasonably successful run with Munster but not so great with the Wallabies, Wessels assistant to an unsuccessful force program with Foote, then HC for an unsuccessful program (with Foote as an assistant) then moved over to Melbourne for another three odd seasons of mediocrity with Foote as an assistant.

Current Super Rugby assistants worth looking at McKay or Gilmore (Fisher said he doesn't want a HC role). Aussies abroad in MLR, Hoiles (LA) and Gerrard (Austin) probably too green. Andy Friend at Connacht would be a goer. Les Kiss at London Irish maybe. Plenty of professional experience in Shute Shield with guys like Barakat, Blake, Hedger, Louden and Melrose. Current 7s Manenti or Walsh. Could go outside the box and go for someone like Mick Heenan who surely would have had plenty of professional offers (maybe just not HC ones).

I'm sure there are a few more I would have missed.

Last edited:

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have really no idea. On the assumption they have sufficient money then a big name with cred would obviously be ideal ( motherhood statement i know). I occasionally watch them train, they seem to to be well organised effecient and happy as a group. The social media i see from the club shows a strong buy in from what i can tell. BUT there is clearly a major issue. I believe the medical and s&c staff were “let go” earlier this year because of the injury disaster that happened in the month before kickoff, the defence is generally poor, the continued selection of To'omua who i think is (was ?) a very good and smart player at 10 over Gordon was a mistake, so im not sure Foote is responsible for all that but should go. Who the replace him with no idea, i would love Joe Scmidt if they could poach him from the Blues staff

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have really no idea. On the assumption they have sufficient money then a big name with cred would obviously be ideal ( motherhood statement i know). I occasionally watch them train, they seem to to be well organised effecient and happy as a group. The social media i see from the club shows a strong buy in from what i can tell. BUT there is clearly a major issue. I believe the medical and s&c staff were “let go” earlier this year because of the injury disaster that happened in the month before kickoff, the defence is generally poor, the continued selection of To'omua who i think is (was ?) a very good and smart player at 10 over Gordon was a mistake, so im not sure Foote is responsible for all that but should go. Who the replace him with no idea, i would love Joe Scmidt if they could poach him from the Blues staff
Highly improbable with Schmidt becoming an All Blacks selector this season.

Agree selections (I'd also add recruitment) have consistently been an issue for the rebels.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Crusaders reserve prop Tamaiti Williams was a beast and carried what I thought was the biggest rig in rugby at 196cm/144kg, but he's dwarfed by that NFL prospect.
Are u sure?

Vince Wilfork / 1.88 m - 147 kg:
rawImage.jpg

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Nah I saw Tamaiti Williams up close and thought 'Fuck me, that's a giant human, he must be the biggest bloke running around!'

I then read about a young Melbourne bloke who's been drafted into the NRL, who happens to actually be close to the most giant human I've ever seen.

Daniel Faalele, 206cm 175kg.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interested to know who you'd be keen on and could possibly get.

Macqueen hadn't coached for 8-10years and was more a name. Hill had spent time in Japan but only a season under Macqueen in a super rugby program, McGahan reasonably successful run with Munster but not so great with the Wallabies, Wessels assistant to an unsuccessful force program with Foote, then HC for an unsuccessful program (with Foote as an assistant) then moved over to Melbourne for another three odd seasons of mediocrity with Foote as an assistant.

Current Super Rugby assistants worth looking at McKay or Gilmore (Fisher said he doesn't want a HC role). Aussies abroad in MLR, Hoiles (LA) and Gerrard (Austin) probably too green. Andy Friend at Connacht would be a goer. Les Kiss at London Irish maybe. Plenty of professional experience in Shute Shield with guys like Barakat, Blake, Hedger, Louden and Melrose. Current 7s Manenti or Walsh. Could go outside the box and go for someone like Mick Heenan who surely would have had plenty of professional offers (maybe just not HC ones).

I'm sure there are a few more I would have missed.
Few good names in there. Andy Friend or Les Kiss would be the more experienced Head Coaches. I think Rebels need to shell out the big bucks and go for a more experienced coach personally given there years of squad under achievement under past coaches.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Few good names in there. Andy Friend or Les Kiss would be the more experienced Head Coaches. I think Rebels need to shell out the big bucks and go for a more experienced coach personally given there years of squad under achievement under past coaches.

I get what your saying but look up north of the murray the tahs didnt spend big & that bloke is alright. We need someone to shake up the joint a bit

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I get what your saying but look up north of the murray the tahs didnt spend big & that bloke is alright. We need someone to shake up the joint a bit
Yes, but there is a significant risk with inexperienced coaches.
The Tahs appear at this stage to have been lucky though while they have improved they are not exactly dominating the comp and they have far greater resources at their disposal than the Rebels.
There is still a risk with experienced coaches but that risk is greatly reduced.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
But we aren’t the Tahs, I think part of DC’s success is his experience in Shute Shield. The Tahs have a massive resource in that comp that we could only dream of.

DC wanted to reconnect the Tahs to the Shute Shield.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you by the way, I just think we should run an extensive process and find the best candidate. Regardless of if they are a big name or small name

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
But we aren’t the Tahs, I think part of DC’s success is his experience in Shute Shield. The Tahs have a massive resource in that comp that we could only dream of.

DC wanted to reconnect the Tahs to the Shute Shield.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you by the way, I just think we should run an extensive process and find the best candidate. Regardless of if they are a big name or small name
I love what DC has done in NSW but I find the SS connection tedious.

Their squad is full on guys that have barely played an extended amount of time at club level, predominately school boy stars signed straight out of school. Hardly any of the guys in the squad have played a minute at club level this year. It’s reaching to see a connection.

In my eyes it’s more a combination of good tactics, good coaching, the return of some senior figures from overseas and the fact the players are 12 months more experienced. There is very few players in their squad that grinded out a career in SS then built into the pro system. Even players that used the SS for a pro contract like Vailanu came through the Rebels academy, then picked up a few pro contracts, had one storming year at Gordon, then picked up another pro contract overseas before returning

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I love what DC has done in NSW but I find the SS connection tedious.

Their squad is full on guys that have barely played an extended amount of time at club level, predominately school boy stars signed straight out of school. Hardly any of the guys in the squad have played a minute at club level this year. It’s reaching to see a connection.

In my eyes it’s more a combination of good tactics, good coaching, the return of some senior figures from overseas and the fact the players are 12 months more experienced. There is very few players in their squad that grinded out a career in SS then built into the pro system. Even players that used the SS for a pro contract like Vailanu came through the Rebels academy, then picked up a few pro contracts, had one storming year at Gordon, then picked up another pro contract overseas before returning
Edmed was playing shield I get he was young and I get a lot of them where playing SS on Tahs contracts.

I just feel as watching from a far the SS has been getting stronger and stronger over the past few years and at some point that will translate into the Tahs. I am willing to accept I could be wrong and many here will have a better understanding of the landscape in Sydney