• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Other codes you can earn considerable money been a squad member, Aus Super Rugby sides been a squad member isn’t a lucrative job. There is guys in the team that earn less than $100k a season (yep good money but not in the professional sporting sphere). The main thing for pro athletes is “am I playing regularly”?, if the answer is no then you look somewhere else.

This would be the case here, he’s not earning good money and not playing regularly. Now he can go overseas and play 10-15+ games a year and earn some good money that means he won’t have to work until he’s 68yrs old.
That’s the problem with super rugby the season is too short and it doesn’t keep players invested as there are too few games

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How safe is Wessels for next year? Rebels have failed to really kick on in his time there, yes there has been a lot of things outside his control, but you'd have to think its time to be considering someone new.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
There is more to life than money and you see other clubs in other codes inspire loyalty in there players

We dont even know the details fully yet. It might just be a stint for a year. I certainly wouldnt be questioning Rob's loyalty he seems like a pretty decent person. Who knows it could even be 400k+ euro's & maybe he wants to buy his family a house theres loyalty if that were the case.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
We dont even know the details fully yet. It might just be a stint for a year. I certainly wouldnt be questioning Rob's loyalty he seems like a pretty decent person. Who knows it could even be 400k+ euro's & maybe he wants to buy his family a house theres loyalty if that were the case.
Look you can’t knock a guy putting his family first if that is the case but we need to start keeping local juniors. We can’t keep being a place blow ins come to play for one or two years before leaving

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rob’s a great bloke. One of the nicest guys I’ve played with, genuinely. Talk to anyone and they’ll say how generous & funny he is. He deserves it, been around for a while, shame because he looks to have taken it up a gear. I have no doubt he’ll be back in Melbourne in a few years.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Look you can’t knock a guy putting his family first if that is the case but we need to start keeping local juniors. We can’t keep being a place blow ins come to play for one or two years before leaving
Can’t keep locals if there not wanted. What more can these boys do to get a gig with the Rebels. There’s a few fortunate ones: Ulese, Pone, Hosea. Leota but how about the ones that are pushing claims interstate in Premier rugby. That should be enough to have a crack. But no. Let’s shit on the pathway boys and bring in interstate players. How about Sione Tuipolutu who couldn’t have done much more. One of the form players in NRC. Couldn’t get a decent shot from Vessels. Alex Saaga UQ Qld, Puni Aupuni, Sunnybank Qld, Sione Tui, US Carcassonne XV France Div 2, Navare Haisila, Shute Shield, Phoenix Hunt, Brothers Qld, Josh Coward, Aus 7’s, Mosese Tuipolutu, Eastern Suburbs. These guys are all worthy of an opportunity. But no. They’ve all been in either Aus School boys or junior Wallabies just like the boys that come from interstate. So why.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can’t keep locals if there not wanted. What more can these boys do to get a gig with the Rebels. There’s a few fortunate ones: Ulese, Pone, Hosea. Leota but how about the ones that are pushing claims interstate in Premier rugby. That should be enough to have a crack. But no. Let’s shit on the pathway boys and bring in interstate players. How about Sione Tuipolutu who couldn’t have done much more. One of the form players in NRC. Couldn’t get a decent shot from Vessels. Alex Saaga UQ Qld, Puni Aupuni, Sunnybank Qld, Sione Tui, US Carcassonne XV France Div 2, Navare Haisila, Shute Shield, Phoenix Hunt, Brothers Qld, Josh Coward, Aus 7’s, Mosese Tuipolutu, Eastern Suburbs. These guys are all worthy of an opportunity. But no. They’ve all been in either Aus School boys or junior Wallabies just like the boys that come from interstate. So why.
Most of these guys aren’t super rugby level or 18/19yrs of age. In the case of Mosese the Rebels 100% wanted to keep him, he’s potentially the best junior talent ever through the Rebels system but the fact is he was never going to be offered a full time gig this year and Sydney offered the lure of SS rugby on the same academy level money he was going to get in Melbourne.

I can’t believe how a fringe level player that’s been around for 4/5 years moving for considerably more money overseas is a culture issue. To me it’s common sense and natural attrition. My understanding is the Rebels wanted to keep him but just couldn’t compete. Unless fans want to see the club offer overs for a squad level player just because he’s Victorian, then there is no way around these moves.

Having no Mitre 10 Cup level comp either where mid range players can earn another $30-50k per year and get another 8-10 professional level games under their belt to stay around doesn’t help either.

For the record Sione Tuipulotu is someone they made the wrong call on.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
No doubt the treatment of Sione helped make Moses mind up

The fact that Sione is now talked about as a possible test centre for Scotland hurts as we lack depth in the midfield and both Paisami and Sione were local boys

A lot left the pathways here last year do the cancellation of the dewar shield and NRC

But I do agree that we over look these boys we should be always looking to promote them over recruiting blow ins. Give them the opportunity to put Melbourne on the map.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Most of these guys aren’t super rugby level or 18/19yrs of age. In the case of Mosese the Rebels 100% wanted to keep him, he’s potentially the best junior talent ever through the Rebels system but the fact is he was never going to be offered a full time gig this year and Sydney offered the lure of SS rugby on the same academy level money he was going to get in Melbourne.

I can’t believe how a fringe level player that’s been around for 4/5 years moving for considerably more money overseas is a culture issue. To me it’s common sense and natural attrition. My understanding is the Rebels wanted to keep him but just couldn’t compete. Unless fans want to see the club offer overs for a squad level player just because he’s Victorian, then there is no way around these moves.

Having no Mitre 10 Cup level comp either where mid range players can earn another $30-50k per year and get another 8-10 professional level games under their belt to stay around doesn’t help either.

The money is always there that’s not how the Rebels are competing. You sell a boy from Melbourne the opportunity to stay and win a comp in Melbourne representing his city. All our players will eventually leave for overseas but if the achieve more here first and have success in Melbourne they will get offered more when they decide to cash in on the overseas money

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)

And what is super rugby standard because the current ones aren’t up to it either. All I’m saying is you give these boys the same opportunity as the interstate ones and you will get a return as well as the local support. Some of these boys represented the state at U12’s and progressed through to Aus schools and junior wallabies so why shouldn’t they be given a shot. It’s just my opinion.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
No doubt the treatment of Sione helped make Moses mind up

The fact that Sione is now talked about as a possible test centre for Scotland hurts as we lack depth in the midfield and both Paisami and Sione were local boys

A lot left the pathways here last year do the cancellation of the dewar shield and NRC

But I do agree that we over look these boys we should be always looking to promote them over recruiting blow ins. Give them the opportunity to put Melbourne on the map.
They do and it’s been happening for years. They promote pathways and in my opinion set these boys up to fail in terms of being a rebel.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
They do and it’s been happening for years. They promote pathways and in my opinion set these boys up to fail in terms of being a rebel.
How I see it is we are a bigger chance of getting our lads to stay if we give them a chance and game time then the imports. What we need is continuity

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
How I see it is we are a bigger chance of getting our lads to stay if we give them a chance and game time then the imports. What we need is continuity

Why would we over pay by 3 times for a bloke that is going to be on the bench & a start when someone is inj?

if he stayed next season at full strength he would be fighting for the no. 20 with Wells. Any money we get with loosing Marika & most likely downgrading DHP has to go to Philip & Hosea not a bench role player just because he is from melbourne.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He was contracted for more than 3 years so was definitely given a pretty good opportunity. He was still fairly limited after all that time.
I wonder if also issues on quality of coaches impacting as well as I recall Paisami saying wessels telling him he is not going to get super rugby time with rebels as not good enough basically. Now Paisami first choice for wallaby centre selection.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if also issues on quality of coaches impacting as well as I recall Paisami saying wessels telling him he is not going to get super rugby time with rebels as not good enough basically. Now Paisami first choice for wallaby centre selection.
Yeah look I would take what Paisami says with a grain of salt. While I think there is some truth in it he seriously contributed to his time in Melbourne coming to an end. It’s a shame though as I would love to see him back.

Also no backs look good at Melbourne so that’s where I agree that it is on the coaches

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Why would we over pay by 3 times for a bloke that is going to be on the bench & a start when someone is inj?

if he stayed next season at full strength he would be fighting for the no. 20 with Wells. Any money we get with loosing Marika & most likely downgrading DHP has to go to Philip & Hosea not a bench role player just because he is from melbourne.
That’s not what I was saying.

We need to establish some level of continuity in our squad and moving forward our best chance of doing that is by promoting locals and building the squad around them and then only recruit on a needs basis

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah look I would take what Paisami says with a grain of salt. While I think there is some truth in it he seriously contributed to his time in Melbourne coming to an end. It’s a shame though as I would love to see him back.

Also no backs look good at Melbourne so that’s where I agree that it is on the coaches

It may have been the kick up the arse that Paisami needed. Can't disagree that at this stage it is a Rebels loss though.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That’s not what I was saying.

We need to establish some level of continuity in our squad and moving forward our best chance of doing that is by promoting locals and building the squad around them and then only recruit on a needs basis

We have had 5 RV boys play this year & another one given a spot in the squad, we now run most of our promotions around the 4 that have played most of the games.

There is no more out there up to Super Rugby level, I dont get why your harping of negatively about how well we are doing on this front purely because 1 wants to play in france for a yr or 2