• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Munster beat a 3rd string Leinster team who rested everyone for the European Cup the following week, that win means nothing. Coming from a Munster fan to.

In true munster style he guided them to a loss at home the following week as well! I like his style would fit in well with the rebels sign him up lol

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just a small thing to note. Looking at the latest Samoa squad announced not seeing Rob Leota in there indicates to me that he will be back in Aus maybe sooner than later. Given his form he would of been a shoe in especially considering it has a distinct Aus/NZ flavor to it. Would love to see him somehow back out of his Castre deal and stay next year.

I have been a critic of him playing at lock, but that’s purely because it isn’t his best spot. His performances have been top notch out of position and on the weekend when finally at 6 superb

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Just a small thing to note. Looking at the latest Samoa squad announced not seeing Rob Leota in there indicates to me that he will be back in Aus maybe sooner than later. Given his form he would of been a shoe in especially considering it has a distinct Aus/NZ flavor to it. Would love to see him somehow back out of his Castre deal and stay next year.

I have been a critic of him playing at lock, but that’s purely because it isn’t his best spot. His performances have been top notch out of position and on the weekend when finally at 6 superb
He has improved so much this year it makes me so sad he is leaving. On his recent form he is staking a claim for a wallabies spot

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Yeah he just confirmed to me that he’s keeping his options open with his eyes on Gold. I would’ve thought that a tough ask before this year but now his form is electric, so who know what can happen. He’s young and Castres are a great team. He’ll learn a lot and hopefully come back to the Rebels even better!

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yeah he just confirmed to me that he’s keeping his options open with his eyes on Gold. I would’ve thought that a tough ask before this year but now his form is electric, so who know what can happen. He’s young and Castres are a great team. He’ll learn a lot and hopefully come back to the Rebels even better!

26 games of packing scrums can only help his development. I cant see him playing for another Super Rugby team so hopefully earns some good coin & comes back a better player. Lets be honest atm he is a fair bit behind Wilson, Valentini, Isi & Samu interms of getting a wallabies call up in that 6 or 8 jersey. Not to mention a couple of other that are prob a little bit ahead of him in Super Rugby atm. I'm not as fussed having him at lock to keeping him on the park for longer but he's def not tall enough or have the line out skills to ever be more than a "oh yeah he did okay looked good with the ball running didnt he"

Philip is back next yr & Trev honestly looks like he could be a 100 cap international one day we are set at lock for a while

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am still waiting for proof kellaway a super rugby standard player - been invisible on the wing in the past
You watch any Rebels games? He was outstanding in first half of last year and he’s already a remarkable improvement in his couple cameos this season. The man has a rugby brain.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You watch any Rebels games? He was outstanding in first half of last year and he’s already a remarkable improvement in his couple cameos this season. The man has a rugby brain.

Actually do remember now was good early last season and then dropped off when announced got Japan gig. My memory probably skewed to the latter and I have not been so impressed what seen so far. I am probably not a big a fan as you.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Actually do remember now was good early last season and then dropped off when announced got Japan gig. My memory probably skewed to the latter and I have not been so impressed what seen so far. I am probably not a big a fan as you.

I didn't rate him at all when he was signed but he's proven me wrong. He has a canny ability to be at the right place in attack & defence.

Reactions: mst

Tex

John Thornett (49)
I reckon Kellaway is one of the smarter players out there. May not have the physical presence of other beast wingers but kind of like Tom Wright, often in the right place at the right time and skilled at putting other players through the line.

Is there any way to keep Leota? Losing him would be a real shame, almost as damaging as when Paul Alo-Emile went to France.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Is there any way to keep Leota? Losing him would be a real shame, almost as damaging as when Paul Alo-Emile went to France.

I think he'll be back soon. He's young and doesn't fancy too long a stay in France. Though he probably couldn't have picked a better club than Castres.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
French were reporting a 2yr contract. If only we could find another $500k on all the teams Super Rugby salary caps. Would be able to offer another 3-4 players in our squads another $100k+ each a year to stay.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
French were reporting a 2yr contract. If only we could find another $500k on all the teams Super Rugby salary caps. Would be able to offer another 3-4 players in our squads another $100k+ each a year to stay.

Problem then is the French or Japanese would then just add another $200K+ to blow us out of the water. We cannot compete financially we just have to accept it.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Problem then is the French or Japanese would then just add another $200K+ to blow us out of the water. We cannot compete financially we just have to accept it.

It's actually outrageous how much rugby players get considering the rest of the French workforce. Generally as an Aussie expat moving to France you'll be payed about 60% of your Aus salary.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's actually outrageous how much rugby players get considering the rest of the French workforce. Generally as an Aussie expat moving to France you'll be payed about 60% of your Aus salary.

Sport in Europe is pretty fucked

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

By comparison to soccer club owners (& twiggy) those top14 blokes aren't even that rich, it sucks here. Plus RA cant pay anything close to NRL/AFL anymore as well.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

He was on fire before Covid hit last year, think he was possibly Super Rugby highest try scorer when the season was cancelled. Then by the time SRAU came round he couldn't buy a try.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
By comparison to soccer club owners (& twiggy) those top14 blokes aren't even that rich, it sucks here. Plus RA cant pay anything close to NRL/AFL anymore as well.

We really need a GAGR person to take it for the team and become a mining magnate and buy out RA. Surely Matt wants to make it the Pedestrian Waratahs (even more pedestrian lol).