• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Obvs biased but imo a tight 5 of Orr, Uelese, Fa'amausili, Hosea and Philip is up there with the best in Aus (although admittedly there isn't much behind them). I also have a lot of confidence in the 9/10 combo of Powell and Gordon to fire. Backrow and back 3 are both ok.

Main concern is the centres. Both To'omua and Ili aren't at the required level. Really hoping that Magnay, Vaihu, Vudogu and/or Skelton step up.
I think the gordon/To'omua 10/12 was fine for Super Rugby. Ili had his moments but the rebels also had the form wingers in Koroibete and Kellaway. They needed to go hard at a WOW 13 or replacement wing but instead got more developing players. Not unexpected, but still, a significant reduction in quality as an average.

13 is the problem.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I think the gordon/To'omua 10/12 was fine for Super Rugby. Ili had his moments but the rebels also had the form wingers in Koroibete and Kellaway. They needed to go hard at a WOW 13 or replacement wing but instead got more developing players. Not unexpected, but still, a significant reduction in quality as an average.

13 is the problem.
13 has always been a problem for the Rebels except for the days with Ellison, Inman was serviceable but really lacked the killer instinct needed for a big crash baller.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
but Sione was given 6 years of professional chances.

This is true, but he also started very young. He left Melbourne in 2019 when he was only 22, which is around the age you'd expect players to start developing the required level of physicality for Super Rugby. I reckon he suffered from the same 'young prodigy' curse as Petaia and more recently Kalani Thomas. When someone gets thrown in so young, it normally takes them a while to live up to expectations. As we've seen, he's now a real physical presence for Glasgow (and Scotland in his one test).

That said this is of course with the benefit of hindsight, but disappointing all the same.

Tupou I'm really hoping we can lure back as I thought he really showed real promise in his limited Super appearances and in u20's.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is true, but he also started very young. He left Melbourne in 2019 when he was only 22, which is around the age you'd expect players to start developing the required level of physicality for Super Rugby. I reckon he suffered from the same 'young prodigy' curse as Petaia and more recently Kalani Thomas. When someone gets thrown in so young, it normally takes them a while to live up to expectations. As we've seen, he's now a real physical presence for Glasgow (and Scotland in his one test).

That said this is of course with the benefit of hindsight, but disappointing all the same.

Tupou I'm really hoping we can lure back as I thought he really showed real promise in his limited Super appearances and in u20's.
I'm curious about how he will go for Scotland. He has some good competition in Huw Jones and Lions Chris Harris. Wonder if he'll be a mainstay or only get a handful of caps.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm curious about how he will go for Scotland. He has some good competition in Huw Jones and Lions Chris Harris. Wonder if he'll be a mainstay or only get a handful of caps.
Could do a Bundee Aki and be in and around for a couple years yet before suddenly being BAM - a point of difference for them.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Six years is incorrect. 4 seasons, and was regularly stuck behind Meakes, English & Hodge in the centres

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Lynagh and Dolly sent back to their clubs for Tonga fixture. Would suggest they are unlikely to feature in remaining games this year unless Eddie decides to have a joke and cap them both against Wallabies...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

13 is the problem.
I think the rebels bigger problem as been when they have had the talent is getting it to gel as a team on the field..now they don’t have quite the talent cf previous years…be interesting to see how rebels go next year as they were so so last year and loss players like Marika and Isi…which is loss of some quality there..

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
To clarify another who has gone or not, noticed Bobby Tuttle in the latest vid from Rebels. Which i think is good.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Round 2, 6 games over 3 days in Melbourne. Rebels playing last on the Sunday is a pain, would have loved Saders v Reds then the Rebels on Sat night

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I do like the three weekend afternoon games. Will be able to get my kids there a few times this year. Looks like there will be a couple more Rebels memberships out of my household this year.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Will be interesting to see what the ticketing arrangements will be. Assuming if a daily ticket Rebels members will get two games on the Sunday. Unfortunately I will have to miss the Saturday games but would go Friday if not overly costly.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah I was very surprised that they chose AAMI Park for the super round, to be honest. Really interesting to see how hard they go on the marketing and PR.

Meanwhile, Sunday afternoon games is awesome for Rebels families. Really try and own that timeslot a bit. Storm have always done okay at that time

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah I was very surprised that they chose AAMI Park for the super round, to be honest. Really interesting to see how hard they go on the marketing and PR.

Meanwhile, Sunday afternoon games is awesome for Rebels families. Really try and own that timeslot a bit. Storm have always done okay at that time
Sunday arvo is the worst time slot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I sure a few rugby tragics would think of a long weekend in Melbourne and having rugby extravaganza…maybe even a few kiwi rugby tragics as well. Be interesting to see how it goes…

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I sure a few rugby tragics would think of a long weekend in Melbourne and having rugby extravaganza…maybe even a few kiwi rugby tragics as well. Be interesting to see how it goes…
The biggest crowds the Rebels get are when they play a Kiwi team, so I expect a decent number at NZ games - especially a Kiwi derby.