• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Read something the other day about the Rebels becoming the first club to pay the women’s players. I would assume the money is coming from the state government.

But I feel like it has to be a competition wide decision to pay players

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Read something the other day about the Rebels becoming the first club to pay the women’s players. I would assume the money is coming from the state government.

But I feel like it has to be a competition wide decision to pay players

yeah, I'm not convinced this is the positive story this is being positioned. I believe they are just getting paid through fundraising. So the dinner they had the other day raised money to pay them.

I don't read it as a contract or salary. Just some money shared when they raise it.

The other big story they promoted was access to the club's full training facilities, which I am staggered they weren't able to access previously

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yeah, I'm not convinced this is the positive story this is being positioned. I believe they are just getting paid through fundraising. So the dinner they had the other day raised money to pay them.

I don't read it as a contract or salary. Just some money shared when they raise it.

The other big story they promoted was access to the club's full training facilities, which I am staggered they weren't able to access previously

i thought the women were going to be based out at the new facilities at Latrobe?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure that access to training facilities has been quite difficult due to the rolling lockdowns and bubbles preventing shared facilities usage and the fact that there are so many clubs co-located for traning at AAMI/Gosch's Paddock (Victory, Rebels, Storm and I think Demons).

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I stand to be corrected, but I am pretty sure that access to training facilities has been quite difficult due to the rolling lockdowns and bubbles preventing shared facilities usage and the fact that there are so many clubs co-located for traning at AAMI/Gosch's Paddock (Victory, Rebels, Storm and I think Demons).
Especially for amateur athletes. The AFL had the same issue with the VFL. The government would let the pros continue but not the part timers

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

We used to share a gym with Collingwood over at the glasshouse but once covid hit the afl put in place rules about only letting afl players in to limit any transmission.

All preseason training so far this season for the men has been out at the old lakeside oval which is now an athletics track.

Your right its been chaos at AAMI park in the last 18 months. No one is the main tenant & 4 professional sports teams are trying to share meeting rooms. In true richmond style its a share house.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
Has anyone got any insight into how Jeral Skelton is fairing with the transition from flanker to centre? This could be fascinating, as if he is able to pick up the positioning aspects of 13 he could be an incredible asset being his 100kg frame in attack and big hits and fetching skills in defence.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Went past AAMI this morning on my walk. Rebel HQ gone! Have they moved to Latrobe yet or relocated to MSAC ?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Went past AAMI this morning on my walk. Rebel HQ gone! Have they moved to Latrobe yet or relocated to MSAC ?

Maybe up at la trobe & taken over Melbourne City hq? (they have moved to casey) would be strange though if the boys are training at albert park & the off field staff are 45 min away all the way out in Bundoora.

ps the 45 min is being very generous

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

I know I also posted this in another thread but from a Rebels perspective, with 3 of the academies being very new. If they can grow to match the success of Fountain Gate and we see a few more schools come on board. We could see the rebels become self sustainable in Melbourne in terms of the talent that they produce and that would be huge for the game down here and they game is Aus

Reactions: TSR

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I know I also posted this in another thread but from a Rebels perspective, with 3 of the academies being very new. If they can grow to match the success of Fountain Gate and we see a few more schools come on board. We could see the rebels become self sustainable in Melbourne in terms of the talent that they produce and that would be huge for the game down here and they game is Aus
This is totally off the cuff, but do you see them developing bigger guys who don't have such an AFL body? As in the big prop / hooker more than say a 5/8 ? or is there just about enough interest outside AFL for talent to come through?

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
This is totally off the cuff, but do you see them developing bigger guys who don't have such an AFL body? As in the big prop / hooker more than say a 5/8 ? or is there just about enough interest outside AFL for talent to come through?
So far all bar one of the home grown Rebels have been from Islander families. While I do think we could see some Melbourne lads who don’t come from a rugby community take the game up through these academies due to their body shapes not being suited to aussie rules I think in the short term it will be more likely that we just get more Islander kids through

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So far all bar one of the home grown Rebels have been from Islander families. While I do think we could see some Melbourne lads who don’t come from a rugby community take the game up through these academies due to their body shapes not being suited to aussie rules I think in the short term it will be more likely that we just get more Islander kids through
Do islanders follow Aussie Rules down there?? Most of them are big boys probably not suited to running 25 ks a match.. makes them great for our game.

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
From the horses mouth - Rebels setting up their own gym and renovating their offices at AAMI. Works are almost complete. La Trobe to be more for Rugby Vic. Thus they are weight training at MSAC and other training is held being inside the Lakeside Stadium track at the moment. Rebs home is at AAMI for now.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
From the horses mouth - Rebels setting up their own gym and renovating their offices at AAMI. Works are almost complete. La Trobe to be more for Rugby Vic. Thus they are weight training at MSAC and other training is held being inside the Lakeside Stadium track at the moment. Rebs home is at AAMI for now.

looks like the share house is getting some other renovations & an extension lol

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

looks like the share house is getting some other renovations & an extension lol
All the time going to AAMI park and I never realized how much space was down in that car park.

The bottom corner of Gosch's paddock on the other side of the road would be a good spot for them, it's unused because of the Freeway exit and close to the ground they use.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
All the time going to AAMI park and I never realized how much space was down in that car park.

The bottom corner of Gosch's paddock on the other side of the road would be a good spot for them, it's unused because of the Freeway exit and close to the ground they use.

For the life of me I cant work out how Melbourne cant be set up in offices & a gym at the mcg & have a training ground open to the public like gosch's just outside in between the G & Jolimont station or even the other side in between the G & punt rd oval