• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
When I say depth I men't what you said, 4 players who can all start & some development players under that. I didnt mean Leinster depth lol.

Sef would add alot to the group & may be used as the 5th or 6th option but if he wants to play regular footy usa maybe his option. If he wants to get into coaching then this might be a great role for him
Props can develop with age - not sure if he has some upside. Mlr does not pay much so not sure necessarily financially better option.

Last edited:

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
he might like the "atmos" in Melb, that continual frisson of excitement that comes about with the uncertainty and always potentially being in lockdown. ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees rebels had bad run with concussion as losing DHP to concussion rebels lost lot of experience and equally with To’omua with concussion concerns and now Magnay. And with Mk departure, plus hodge returning from injury leaves the backline a little exposed.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Gees rebels had bad run with concussion as losing DHP to concussion rebels lost lot of experience and equally with To’omua with concussion concerns and now Magnay. And with Mk departure, plus hodge returning from injury leaves the backline a little exposed.
Yep, couldn't agree more.

DHP and To'omua both happened during Wallabies, I know it does not make a big difference but at least we know the Rebels are doing the right thing with treating players with concussion. DHP could have easily been rushed back before being ready and they didn't.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Very thin!

Will be interesting what we do. Carter will start at 10 & Anderson 14 the rest is a bit of a shuffle.

Will To'omua be ready? does Kellaway play 15 or 11? will Hodge be finally put in 1 spot or continue to be mr fix it.

Looks like Viahu, Tonumapia & Vudogo are fighting for the last spot at full strength & it will depend on what spot that actually is. At least our forwards look set.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I am optimistic about the backline, nothing like a bit of opportunity. Could give rise to the next great Rebel. Can’t wait to see the boys rip in

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
9 powell/sorovi
10 gordon
11kellaway
12 to'omua / vaihu
13 illi
14 anderson
15 hodge

would be my guess; Nu'u, does he play 12 or 13 ?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Completely forgot about Stacey Illi

22. Viahu
23. Vudogu
That is not an inspiring backline. Hopefully magnay comes good and one of the newbies star. Rebuilding year for rebels with loss of DHP, Mk and others over the years leaving a pretty inexperienced backline. Thank goodness for kellaway and maybe hodge can offer something more.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That is not an inspiring backline. Hopefully magnay comes good and one of the newbies star. Rebuilding year for rebels with loss of DHP, Mk and others over the years leaving a pretty inexperienced backline. Thank goodness for kellaway and maybe hodge can offer something more.

Is Cambell really that much of a better option that Stacy Illy at 13?

I know its a massive step up but i genuinely like the way Viahu & Vudogo went about it for wests last year & Viahu got some really good experience in SRAU.

Maybe time to blood some younger guys? worked well with the forwards.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is Cambell really that much of a better option that Stacy Illy at 13?

I know its a massive step up but i genuinely like the way Viahu & Vudogo went about it for wests last year & Viahu got some really good experience in SRAU.

Maybe time to blood some younger guys? worked well with the forwards.
At this point magnay not delivered so tend to agree. Stacey illy to my mind so so, but equally illy been better/ or at least equivalent. In short yes time to test out the next gen talent and take next year as rebuilding year. I know a trial but rebels winning trial against tahs and feedback we had on attack sounded positive so may be some promise there.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Since Mitch Inman was about, we have missed some direct punch in midfield, Vudogu looked great for Wests, I'd play him at 13

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Since Mitch Inman was about, we have missed some direct punch in midfield, Vudogu looked great for Wests, I'd play him at 13

he looked great, but he was also against club players so I’m not sure he would have the same physical impact at Super Rugby level at 13, think he definitely deserves more time on the wing though.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surprising as I wasn't overly impressed with him for Wests. Not sure if it was due to him being hampered by that hamstring injury. The guy is an absolute unit of muscle though. Hopefully he can be like Paisami (perform better at higher levels than what he did at club rugby).

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Boys back training at Gochs paddock today great to see & also 1st time in a long time Isaac Aedo Kailea running at full pace!

Unsure about the new training tops though