• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

There was a great article in The Age, talking about the growth of Rugby here in Melbourne. It’s amazing that in 5 years we have gone from 1 local player to 40% of the squad being juniors. With the continued investment in the pathway system and the academy it’s exciting to see where this could go.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I think also with the push for a MCG final we could look to potentially form a strategic partnership with the MCC they currently support 15 different sports. The MCC currently has 130k members with almost double that on the wait list.

As a wait list candidate I always get emails telling me what events I can attend as an MCC candidate.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It will come down to which state govt. forks out the most cash
A lot may come down to whether or not he NSW shells out to put a roof on Accor or rolls over to V'landys on putting the money into league grounds. If they show they're putting the work in to upgrade the stadium then it's probably theirs to lose, but if they don't then it really opens the door to Melbourne and even Perth.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)

There was a great article in The Age, talking about the growth of Rugby here in Melbourne. It’s amazing that in 5 years we have gone from 1 local player to 40% of the squad being juniors. With the continued investment in the pathway system and the academy it’s exciting to see where this could go.
The MCG is a shocking stadium to watch any sport on a rectangular field. As much as I'd love it to be in Vic, just for spectator experience it should be in a better stadium for the sport.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
The MCG is a shocking stadium to watch any sport on a rectangular field. As much as I'd love it to be in Vic, just for spectator experience it should be in a better stadium for the sport.
There is no rectangular ground that can host it? Optus has a slightly bigger playing surface and then there is the terrible Olympic stadium in Sydney where you are still miles away from anything.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Before the Second World War, the Vics beat NSW. Captained by "Weary" Dunlop. The game has been strong historically. The Rebels should have had more support from the start, not sure what went wrong.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Rebels in action tomorrow in the hospital cup

Wests
6. Daniel Maiava
9. Moses Sorovi
11. David Viahu
12. Jeral Skelton

UQ
1. Isaac Aedo Kailea
7. Sam Wallis

Souths
2 Theo Fourie (is he still in our wider squad?)

I've prob missed a couple there

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Before the Second World War, the Vics beat NSW. Captained by "Weary" Dunlop. The game has been strong historically. The Rebels should have had more support from the start, not sure what went wrong.
They had more support at first but then the performance on field have not been there. The Storm have been very strong and taken a lot of fans away.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Can’t wait to see more schools come on board. These programs will be the future of the Rebels

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So the end comes to yet another dismal season, yes we won our last game, yes we beat an nz side but over all we went backwards.

The only positive was a couple of our younger player getting an opportunity & developing okay.

The negative we are the worst Australian side yet again & other than maybe Leota on the back of not a bad few games actually increased their wallaby value.

best thing for everyone is REG please lock this thread move on & look to 2023 nothing to see here other than another season of disappointment :rolleyes:

ps wouldnt mind at some point of the last 15 weeks someone from the club give an actually update on how why & where Hosea missed an entire Super Rugby season

pps If today was Jordy's last day at the Rebels he has left an incredible legacy, from the northern suburbs out of a 2nd division club through the aps system to becoming a wallaby is truly amazing. We now have burn boi's all through our ranks & he was the trailblazer. Thank you Jordy!

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Bad year no doubt almost choked again but managed to just scrape over the line. The squad was weaker on paper so had lower expectations than the last few years. That said we still failed to meet those expectations. The difference between our best and worst is way too big.

We are still poor defensively yet opt to kick away possession.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
So the end comes to yet another dismal season, yes we won our last game, yes we beat an nz side but over all we went backwards.

The only positive was a couple of our younger player getting an opportunity & developing okay.

The negative we are the worst Australian side yet again & other than maybe Leota on the back of not a bad few games actually increased their wallaby value.

best thing for everyone is REG please lock this thread move on & look to 2023 nothing to see here other than another season of disappointment :rolleyes:

ps wouldnt mind at some point of the last 15 weeks someone from the club give an actually update on how why & where Hosea missed an entire Super Rugby season
Had a nasty break in his foot a week out from the season starting. Should be available for some club footy before the season is out. Would be the perfect guy for an NRC campaign, now he’s going to be 20 months between professional games for a 3.5 month injury.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Had a nasty break in his foot a week out from the season starting. Should be available for some club footy before the season is out. Would be the perfect guy for an NRC campaign, now he’s going to be 20 months between professional games for a 3.5 month injury.

I know that, my point is I shouldnt have to find out through a bloke who sits near me who goes watch the rams who over heard a bloke from melbourne who said he spoke to a bloke from quins

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

pps If today was Jordy's last day at the Rebels he has left an incredible legacy, from the northern suburbs out of a 2nd division club through the aps system to becoming a wallaby is truly amazing. We now have burn boi's all through our ranks & he was the trailblazer. Thank you Jordy!
You won against a kiwi side which is more then you did last season and finished the season with consecutive wins. Yes you have every right to be disappointed but hopefully at least something to build on. But yeh sorting out defence has to be a priority for the rebels (and force)…

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I know that, my point is I shouldnt have to find out through a bloke who sits near me who goes watch the rams who over heard a bloke from melbourne who said he spoke to a bloke from quins
Been a point of frustration all year. All sides not just the Rebels have to be better at this. The AFL puts out an injury list each week. You can check your side and the team you are playing that week see who is unavailable and when they are expected to return. It adds to the fan experience