• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Super interesting to read, Reg, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if the Pacific Island unions get compensation for the development of players?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Super interesting to read, Reg, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if the Pacific Island unions get compensation for the development of players?
The transfer fee only applies to players under contract.

That's why you rarely ever see them - contracts are rarely for longer than a year or two and, even if the desire was there, there isn't really enough money in Rugby to piss away on transfer fees.

Last edited:

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ah, so I was correct... it didn't happen.
Exactly, like Stewart not signing a contract extension with the Reds. Not binding. If the Reds so dearly wanted to keep Stewart I would have expected them to sign him on during the season. It’s like the person deciding they love their partner as they are walking out the door with a packed bag. “Oh, please come back, I actually want you here!”.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Exactly, like Stewart not signing a contract extension with the Reds. Not binding. If the Reds so dearly wanted to keep Stewart I would have expected them to sign him on during the season. It’s like the person deciding they love their partner as they are walking out the door with a packed bag. “Oh, please come back, I actually want you here!”.
I dunno, the official media statement on this seems to contradict your theory.

happy for players to move around, but i hope teams aren’t approaching players encouraging them to break contracts.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Just for the sake of the debate, clause b covers the Valetini situation:

(b) a Non-Contract Player enters into a written agreement for the first time with a Union, Rugby Body or Club outside his Home Union, his Home Union (or Rugby Body or Club in membership of his Home Union as the case may be) shall be entitled to compensation for his training and/or development.

Wonder if QLD paid VRU compensation for Hunter Paisami...?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Will the move to central contracting essentially place RA as the relevant home union, negating this sort of nonsense?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will the move to central contracting essentially place Rugby Australia as the relevant home union, negating this sort of nonsense?

Maybe, but stuff like this will certainly upset some powerbrokers, it’s not the kind of harmony you’d want if you’re pushing for national consensus on key decisions.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Per the nonsensical clause b, he'd be a non contract player and his home union would be eligible for compensation for his training and development.

It's a load of horseshit but the red jowled rah rah boys in Dublin decree it!