• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Hoping Ioane has been on a strict off season losing some kgs and getting his fitness up.

Bit surprised to see Ioane is 25, same age as Leota. He's been kicking around longer than I thought. I imagined he was relatively new to professional rugby and would have a big increase in ability after some time. Maybe not.
Pretty sure he played in the old NRL u20s comp for the warriors

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Will be good to see where our next group coming through is at against what you would assume be the best u/18 squad in the country.

F3BDC5FD-6594-4C43-8C13-68EE0E76B682.jpeg

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Went down to Powerhouse Junior groud to watch today, it was a pretty good day.

Eloff, Monty, Kemeny, Philip, Hosea & Tuttle all there but didnt play Tuttle ran water. No Gibbon either.

The 1st 30 min v the PAC Cup XV 17-0
This was def the "b" side. Mason ran the show at 10 not sure who the 9 was. We looked a bit clunky in attack & basically didnt have to defend. I A-K carried very well & his side of the scrum with Theo Fourie was utter dominate as you would expect. One of the Viahu's played pretty well on the far wing I couldnt see which one from my side.

The 2nd 30 v The Axemen 33 - 0
Side looked real good, Uelese & Orr were brilliant & I dont mind the idea of both of them becoming our "bomb squad". Sorovi controled play well Jooste played 10 with Carter at 15 & injecting himself at 10 in attack when we were on the front foot a bit like Damien Mckenzie does & it worked well wouldnt mind seeing a bit more if it. Wilkin had a fair bit of impact in the 2nd half as well.

Hardwick played 7 for both games & was the captain for at least the 1st half, Anderson played the whole game on the wing & bagged himself a couple. Ripley played okay but have seen better from him maybe just not his day. Canham was real good being the line out target but was carried off after getting tipped at a restart. Ioane still that massive frame.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Went down to Powerhouse Junior groud to watch today, it was a pretty good day.

Eloff, Monty, Kemeny, Philip, Hosea & Tuttle all there but didnt play Tuttle ran water. No Gibbon either.

This was def the "b" side. Mason ran the show at 10 not sure who the 9 was. We looked a bit clunky in attack & basically didnt have to defend. I A-K carried very well & his side of the scrum with Theo Fourie was utter dominate as you would expect. One of the Viahu's played pretty well on the far wing I couldnt see which one from my side.

The 2nd 30 v The Axemen 33 - 0
Side looked real good, Uelese & Orr were brilliant & I dont mind the idea of both of them becoming our "bomb squad". Sorovi controled play well Jooste played 10 with Carter at 15 & injecting himself at 10 in attack when we were on the front foot a bit like Damien Mckenzie does & it worked well wouldnt mind seeing a bit more if it. Wilkin had a fair bit of impact in the 2nd half as well.

Hardwick played 7 for both games & was the captain for at least the 1st half, Anderson played the whole game on the wing & bagged himself a couple. Ripley played okay but have seen better from him maybe just not his day. Canham was real good being the line out target but was carried off after getting tipped at a restart. Ioane still that massive frame.
Thanks for the summary. Couldn’t make it, unfortunately.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This was def the "b" side. Mason ran the show at 10 not sure who the 9 was.
Just saw a tweet of the players involved

looks like the 9 might of been CCJ Cullin Cooper-Jones. He is in the rebels academy and plays down wests.

also spotted wests bulldog Angelo Smith In the rebels colours. Has been on fire in QPR. Commentator mentioned in grand final he had scored 7 tries in last 4 games. Amazing strike rate for 2nd rower. Will be in the rebels matchday 23 in no-time with the way he has progressed in 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Angelo has scored 7 tries this season. Not in the last four games.

The UQ hooker has scored 6 in the last three games I think was the stat. But, you know, he’s a modern hooker.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

The UQ hooker has scored 6 in the last three games I think was the stat. But, you know, he’s a modern hooker.
Regarding Angelo try tally.

GF: 1
SF: 2
vs South’s: 1
@ Norths: 2

6 tries in the last 4 games.
Pretty close. Commentator must of slip of a tongue or I wasn’t listening properly..

Anyways he did finish the season very strong. Took his opportunity by the horns & is making the most of it - stoked he running with the rebels.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just saw a tweet of the players involved

looks like the 9 might of been CCJ Cullin Cooper-Jones. He is in the rebels academy and plays down wests.

also spotted wests bulldog Angelo Smith In the rebels colours. Has been on fire in QPR. Commentator mentioned in grand final he had scored 7 tries in last 4 games. Amazing strike rate for 2nd rower. Will be in the rebels matchday 23 in no-time with the way he has progressed in 2022

Yeah he started the 2nd game v the axemen, got injured concussed I think.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)

I think he got knocked out or concussed at the very least - came off the field very gingerly

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
I ran into someone who knows Tom English yesterday. He said Tom is coming back to the Rebels to try and reach 100 games.

Has anyone else heard that?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I ran into someone who knows Tom English yesterday. He said Tom is coming back to the Rebels to try and reach 100 games.

Has anyone else heard that?
That's great news, if true. A wonderful club man and has been a very good footy player. Just looked up his stats in Japan at Kurita, has actually only scored 1 try in 19 appearances (all starts), which surprises me. Does anybody know if he's played 13 or on the wing?

I know he had a big impact on Sydney Uni at the back end of the Shtue Shield, played second grade to genuinely earn first grade selection, and then Japanese club got gun-shy and didn't let him play the final.

Wonder if big Sammy Jeffries would ever come back from Japan as well?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That's great news, if true. A wonderful club man and has been a very good footy player. Just looked up his stats in Japan at Kurita, has actually only scored 1 try in 19 appearances (all starts), which surprises me. Does anybody know if he's played 13 or on the wing?

I know he had a big impact on Sydney Uni at the back end of the Shtue Shield, played second grade to genuinely earn first grade selection, and then Japanese club got gun-shy and didn't let him play the final.

Wonder if big Sammy Jeffries would ever come back from Japan as well?

Lewy Holland also played in that side & they still couldnt win it with a completely stacked side