• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies 2.35pm 07/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I was going to mention this actually, IF hodge is leaving as i heard some people say, it will be the perfect gateway for Gordon to take conversions. If not, then who knows what the Rebels will do. Other than Nic white, can anyone else in the wallaby backs consistently take conversions? (assuming Gordon is on for Quade)
I would have Lonergan in my Wallabies 15, his kicking seems pretty good.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think Lonergan's goal kicking ability lets the rest of the bench be impact players.

Hodge is a good Wallaby but he's a stop gap. If he was the best at a position he would be put there permanently. I do think there is a chance he goes to the WC probably due to injury and he's been very durable.
It gets said every year and every year Hodge ends up in the team because a 'better' option goes down broken within one or two games.

Given our woes with injury it would be madness to leave behind a versatile player who hardly ever goes down with serious injury.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Hodge is what coaches like, a team player that is reliable and knows his role. Cops it because his not x factor enough for Wallabies fans, but you can't have a whole backline of flashy players. The fact he covers 10-15 makes him ideal 23 jersey at the RWC, especially games you are only going to carry 2 backs on the bench.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hodge is what coaches like, a team player that is reliable and knows his role. Cops it because his not x factor enough for Wallabies fans, but you can't have a whole backline of flashy players. The fact he covers 10-15 makes him ideal 23 jersey at the RWC, especially games you are only going to carry 2 backs on the bench.
still does some really dumb shit

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1683530973900.png

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Lolesio has a slightly more sensible haircut. I don’t see that stat listed.
If Gordon's playing the Bledisloe opposite Damian McKenzie, at least we win the filthiest mullet competition. Thank christ Goodhue had a word with his barber.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, my one and probably only game of the year I attended and came out very relieved…

Some dumb play by the Brumbies in the last 10 mins only matched by the Rebels in the James Doleman ruck lottery and all round officiating shitfuckery.

A highlight of the match the match the battle of the two best 10’s in Aus…

Gordon finished on top, and those defensive stats were impressive, although Lolesio with the better first half… it would’ve been interesting to see how the match up might have played out in those later stages.

White must have had his mind n Perth real estate in the first half blowing some good counter attack opportunities.

The usual standouts otherwise with the Brumbies with Ikitau being a handful, and Valetini taking it up a gear in the second half - he’s become quite good at managing his workload throughout the match to go the full 80.

Frost probably having his quietest game of the year, although Swain playing well until the yellow card, as is tradition.

I thought the initial Brumbies’ subs early in the second half did a good job, particularly at putting pressure at the breakdown.

The Rebels have a good run home and certainly deserve to be ahead of one or two other Aussie teams currently ahead of them this year.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
he was needed from 2016-2021, but he is surplus to requirements now, as Rennie has built sufficient quality of depth in the backs, a few seasons back Hodge was an obvious selection for the 23 at least, now there's too much quality ahead of him, Koribete, Kellaway, Petaia, Wright, Nawa, Toole, Pietsch, Jurgenson, better midfield cover in Foketi, Flook, Perese, Henry, Kellaway, better 10 cover with Gordon, Lolesio.

Last edited:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
he was needed from 2016-2021, but he is surplus to requirements now, as Rennie has built sufficient quality of depth in the backs, a few seasons back Hodge was an obvious selection for the 23 at least, now there's too much quality ahead of him, Koribete, Kellaway, Petaia, Wright, Nawa, Toole, Pietsch, Jurgenson, better midfield cover in Foketi, Flook, Perese, Henry, Kellaway, better 10 cover with Gordon, Lolesio.
And exactly who on that list covers all of 10-15 by themselves. And I don't think Kellaway is better midfield cover then Hodge, better back 3 cover sure. But Kellaway can't cover 10 and 12.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
And exactly who on that list covers all of 10-15 by themselves. And I don't think Kellaway is better midfield cover then Hodge, better back 3 cover sure. But Kellaway can't cover 10 and 12.
The other thing with Hodge is that he seems to be able to fit in and get a pass mark in any position at short notice.

If a player broke down in the warm up to a world cup final and you have to slot someone in with no planning I cant think of many better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.