• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Crusaders 21/04/23

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep but if you not held you can actually get up, I think you will find that's wrongly or rightly how it is usually reffed. But anyway,I prefer that you can't do it, same as reaching out to score.
Rolling along the ground, and not being held then getting up and playing the ball are not remotely the same thing.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rolling along the ground, and not being held then getting up and playing the ball are not remotely the same thing.
Well I think they are, as I also said like diving on a loose ball, off the feet, and generally it is allowed.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Rebels need to have follow up runners when doing box kicks or high kicks. Too many times they have kicked and have had nobody chase down the ball.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Rebels need to have follow up runners when doing box kicks or high kicks. Too many times they have kicked and have had nobody chase down the ball.
I actually wonder if the Rebels are actually struggling with the pace of the game this year? They seem to drop off in second half, and a lot of games tend to be blowing out a bit later in game with teams not getting brethars at lineouts etc? Just a thought.

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep but if you not held you can actually get up, I think you will find that's wrongly or rightly how it is usually reffed. But anyway,I prefer that you can't do it, same as reaching out to score.
yes you can get up, if you release the ball, get to your feet and pick it up again. 14.7.a tacked player must make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.

Well I think they are, as I also said like diving on a loose ball, off the feet, and generally it is allowed.
13.1.a,b,c
Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately get up with the ball, play the ball (as per law 14 above) or release the ball.

There isn’t anything in the laws that say you can’t dive on a ball in general play

maybe this is evidence that we play a different game to Kiwi teams

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
You do know you can roll if there no jackler over top and you not held?
Yep but if you not held you can actually get up, I think you will find that's wrongly or rightly how it is usually reffed. But anyway,I prefer that you can't do it, same as reaching out to score, or diving on loose ball on ground.

Yes, it's often refereed as play on if the referee doesn't feel that it impacts the contest, isn't excessive (placement rolls) and/or it's seen as momentum.

Ennor had come to a stationary stop. The roll affected the contest as it moved him further away from the retreating Rebel players and allowed more time from his team mate to try to secure the ruck. The fact that the Rebels player was able to contest the ruck but then got pinged (was it for hands in the ruck?) makes it pretty clear that there was a contest to be had. It was a little comical that O'Keefe allowed it.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I actually wonder if the Rebels are actually struggling with the pace of the game this year? They seem to drop off in second half, and a lot of games tend to be blowing out a bit later in game with teams not getting brethars at lineouts etc? Just a thought.
I feel like the NZ teams are better at managing their output across a game in terms of their energy and effort. I'm not convinced that it is so much that they are better conditioned athletes, but more that it's how they regulate their involvements and actions across a game, whereas the Australian teams seem to be high on unsustainable enthusiasm which looks to result in increased fatigue as the game goes on, leading to the game opening up. Add in that the NZ teams have more depth and often stronger bench players and you see these results.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s easy to sit here and be negative. But we are closing the gap.

The disappointment will come if we don’t kick on next year. Sick and tired of other fans potting us for being no good when nothing was expected of us this year.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
The rebels can’t finish a game and the force are terrible starters but finish well, hopefully before the end of the season they can each start putting it all together

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
BOK was dreadful tonight, every second ruck the Sanders entered from the side and not once did he ping it.

I love rugby, but I'm sick to death of the favorite continuously getting away with the most basic of breaches all game. The ref is meant to be natural and BOK fails that, the Saders lose head got away with murder tonight, he collapsed and popped and won penalties for it. Could not hold the hit against Pone and was always a reset.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
BOK was dreadful tonight, every second ruck the Sanders entered from the side and not once did he ping it.

I love rugby, but I'm sick to death of the favorite continuously getting away with the most basic of breaches all game. The ref is meant to be natural and BOK fails that, the Saders lose head got away with murder tonight, he collapsed and popped and won penalties for it. Could not hold the hit against Pone and was always a reset.

Kevin, I thought exactly the same thing regarding entering from the side. I asked a mate what happened to the gate.

I also yelled out at one stage "OKeefe lift up your orange top so we can see your Crusaders top."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
yes you can get up, if you release the ball, get to your feet and pick it up again. 14.7.a tacked player must make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.

13.1.a,b,c
Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball, must immediately get up with the ball, play the ball (as per law 14 above) or release the ball.

There isn’t anything in the laws that say you can’t dive on a ball in general play

maybe this is evidence that we play a different game to Kiwi teams
Yep so you can get up without releasing, but see take your point, and ask how many times we actually see a player IMMEDIATELY release the ball, it goesn't happen, they all lay it back etc, or even pass the ball off the ground, or tackled 5ms out and slide across for try. I know that I always wonder about it, refs only ever seem to penalise it if someone is going for the ball. I liked theold idea when you hit ground you let ball go and didn't place it back etc, but that's probably just me wishing you had to still play laws from my day. Anyway if that cost the Rebel's the game it will be debated for quite sometime.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I feel like the NZ teams are better at managing their output across a game in terms of their energy and effort. I'm not convinced that it is so much that they are better conditioned athletes, but more that it's how they regulate their involvements and actions across a game, whereas the Australian teams seem to be high on unsustainable enthusiasm which looks to result in increased fatigue as the game goes on, leading to the game opening up. Add in that the NZ teams have more depth and often stronger bench players and you see these results.
Yep like you ,I don't believe NZ players are better conditioned, there is ne reason they would be. You could well be right, it could be managing output, as kiwi teams are quite good generally at not putting extra players into a ruck that's already lost etc.