• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Crusaders 21/04/23

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
O'Keefe is a reasonably decent sort of ref. But I've come around to the view that NZ refs and Aussie refs see the game through quite different interpretations. Hence, a NZ ref like O'Keefe and Williams this weekend look to be favouring the NZ side but are really just seeing the game the way it's played in NZ. Conversely, an Aussie ref like Berry tonight gives an impression that he is lenient on the Aussie side while being overly harsh on the NZ side. All down to different interpretations I believe.

What I don't understand is the appointment process that seems to give an inordinate number of cross-Tasman games in this country to a NZ ref. When in Australia, the game should be in Aussie ref hands.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
O'Keefe is a reasonably decent sort of ref. But I've come around to the view that NZ refs and Aussie refs see the game through quite different interpretations. Hence, a NZ ref like O'Keefe and Williams this weekend look to be favouring the NZ side but are really just seeing the game the way it's played in NZ. Conversely, an Aussie ref like Berry tonight gives an impression that he is lenient on the Aussie side while being overly harsh on the NZ side. All down to different interpretations I believe.

What I don't understand is the appointment process that seems to give an inordinate number of cross-Tasman games in this country to a NZ ref. When in Australia, the game should be in Aussie ref hands.
It's the oscillation around what the referees are focusing on or not that is also a challenge, sometimes even within a season. I'm curious to see how the breakdown/ruck is refereed at this RWC. There are breaches of the laws all the time across a game, but the referee has always been part of the game, you need to learn to adapt.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It's the oscillation around what the referees are focusing on or not that is also a challenge, sometimes even within a season. I'm curious to see how the breakdown/ruck is refereed at this RWC. There are breaches of the laws all the time across a game, but the referee has always been part of the game, you need to learn to adapt.
A great referee is always looking for a reason NOT to penalise a team in my book, unless it is blatent. To keep game flowing should be the goal. A referee could blow a thousand penalties every game if they followed every little slight infringement, however that is not in the spirit of the game nor what crowds want. The balance is extremely difficult….that’s why there aren’t many good referees!

Stockade1988

Stan Wickham (3)
Unfortunately couldn’t watch the game.

who from the Rebels went well? Anything notable? Is our backline clicking or is it the forwards getting stuck in?

Ignoring BOK’s performance how do we rectify that 2nd half?
Strong backline they just need to use it more

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
A great referee is always looking for a reason NOT to penalise a team in my book, unless it is blatent. To keep game flowing should be the goal. A referee could blow a thousand penalties every game if they followed every little slight infringement, however that is not in the spirit of the game nor what crowds want. The balance is extremely difficult….that’s why there aren’t many good referees!
Oh come on, looking for a reason not to penalize a team is also called cheating. I'm all for free flowing rugby as long as it's coming from fair ball. Watching a side enter 2 out of every 3 rucks from the side is not acceptable.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
This is it for me.

The crusaders were quick to every breakdown and slowing ours and allowing really quick ball for theirs. I saw them push the legal line and often jump over it but they played to what the ref was calling. Had it been a ref that was stricter on the breakdown, they would have adjusted as all kiwi sides are good at doing.

Rebs in contrast were very slow to the breakdown, often being the second or third player to arrive which gave all the advantage to the saders. They did not adjust to the ref either and try a few entries from a wider angle.

We used to have a few smart loosies that could play to the ref (Poey, Smith and Hodgson in particular were really good at walking that line)
Most of the current crop don't have that balance

Stockade1988

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think the backline clicked in attack too well but then they struggled for continuity given the ruck shenanigans. Ili going off early probably contributed. Monty had a blinder I thought, mostly off the ball though.

Most of your best work came from your loose forwards. Ekuasi and Wilkin particular looked fantastic. I also thought Mafi had a great game (although the scrum was shaky).

I think basically a couple of key errors are what lead to the second half decline. Even in the first half, every time the Rebels looked to relieve the pressure (and they defended very well) someone made an error and brought it right back. 200 tackles vs 112 illustrate this. There was a particularly brain dead ruck penalty from Canham on about halfway which followed a prolonged defensive effort on the line that stands out.

By 60 minutes the Rebels were gassed and their bench depth is probably not good enough to sustain the effort they were putting in. Crusaders on the other hand brought on a handful of All Blacks.

If the Rebels could keep the injury ward to a lower level they'd be much more competitive. Imagine bringing Leota, Philip and Hardwick on to close it out. Whole different ballgame.
Bit harsh backline didn’t get a chance the ball is not passed out forwards just looked tired 2nd half don’t whether fitness needs to improve