• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Highlanders Super Rugby Rd 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL_Converted

Ted Thorn (20)
Well I think we were better than that scoreline but again could not take the opportunities when they came. Highlsnders definitely better and my pick to win the NZ conf. If not the whole thing.

A few things I learned/ had confirmed.

I still don't think Placido is ready to start. He is good running with the ball but needs to pass earlier, improve under the high ball and kick better. Things looked much improved when Hodge came on.

Manbun has a good kicking game but is too fond of it. Almost any penalty advantage in our 22 and he kicks next phase for a hopeful try. I would like to see more patience.

I still think Jack should be our starting 10 but he needs a second playmaker to assist. I would also like to see him a bit more ambitious when kicking for the sideline, particularly on penalties. He constenylt hits row A ( if not more and we get less than 22 meters. Make sure it goes out but the first few rows of the crowd will do.

Highlsnders gave a lesson on forward "pod" play tonight. Smith to two or three of them already bould and they always made ground and could recycle very quickly.
We never looked like pinching one until about 30 min when for some reason they stopped doing it.

Overall I am not thrilled about the score but realistically after the travel and playing the defending champs were we ever looking at getting points from this game. I did not think so. Next week against the Tahs though. We have to be targeting this game if we are a chance at that wildcard to finals ( I already have the brums penciled in as conference winner)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
He could be marketed as a cure for insomnia, as soon as he starts blathering i can feel myself nodding off. So many words, so little said.

Goddamn, Gregan, I just end up tuning out to everything he says.

I wonder if he talks in that tone to his missus when he's trying to get a root.

Or after he gets off a thrilling roller coaster ride.

"We were seated on the roller coaster as it traversed around a pre-designed course. It made a number of turns, some of them sharp, and some of them more gradual. We also went to different heights of elevation when the roller coaster went up and down along its roller coaster railings a number of times. We were wearing seat belts though so it was very safe."

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Goddamn, Gregan, I just end up tuning out to everything he says.

I wonder if he talks in that tone to his missus when he's trying to get a root.

Or after he gets off a thrilling roller coaster ride.

"We were seated on the roller coaster as it traversed around a pre-designed course. It made a number of turns, some of them sharp, and some of them more gradual. We also went to different heights of elevation when the roller coaster went up and down along its roller coaster railings a number of times. We were wearing seat belts though so it was very safe."
Until he bored it into submission and overcame gravity, rendering it defunct and spoiling the fun for others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D

daz

I assume given Ellison was replaced by Fuglistaller and Reid playing in centres that Tamati was injured too.

Hammy tear according to one of the coaches. A bad one apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well that was disappointing, We were never going to be competitive with all the travel and hope they enjoy the full week in Australia for the first time this week ahead of next week. Did not deserve to win but did not deserve to go down by 24 points.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hammy tear according to one of the coaches. A bad one apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not good, but at least it should Force McGrahan to move Inman to 13 and play a second play maker at 12.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah you did deserve to go down by 24.
Rebs were poo tonight.
But that's ok,there are excuses for why they were poo.
It's been a tough schedule up till tonight.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
72% of Possession in the 2nd half and still could not score a try.

Because nearly every time they had the ball they coughed it up. The missus and I were having bets on how many phases they would get through before they turned it over.

Box kicking straight to the Highlanders back 3 was never going to work, and what was with the Rebels standing so deep on defense? Do they not understand that a box kick is to be chased, so you try and land it where one of your own players can compete for it? Rebels were often so deep they had no chance of getting there in time to compete.

I don't think the Highlanders really got out of 3rd gear much for this game. I was surprised that Aaron Smith did not have more darts at the line from the base of rucks because at times there were some almighty gaps

For the commentators, Highlanders is one word. It was not the High Landers playing the Reb Els. It annoys the shit out of my wife and that's my job.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
very disappointing night. same old errors from the Rebels, poor choices and poor execution - passing, ball security in tackles, lineout faltering, really poor field kicking and absolutely no kick chase. the other thing that struck me last night is that there is absolutely no one in the backs with any real pace, all our backs looked ponderous compared to the Clan. Meehan certainly kicked too much but i a not certain he had many other options at times but there was no chase, at all, ever, FFS !
the backline crispness that was evident against the samoans has completely gone, and Jack D is far from the complete package, there is no second playmaker and Inman (sorry Daz) for all the good he does has a lot of limitations at inside centre. they are missing Harris so much. they need to persevere with Debrezcini because there is no one else. Placid needs much more time, but i am not sold that he will ever be a great super player; desperately need some pace, Naivalu can't come back soon enough, but will the bulked up version be fast enough ?, getting rid of Veainu was criminal, Matashima seems to have the pace that Crawford, Shipperley don't.
i am still hopeful that some of last night was travel fatigue, a lot was the Highlanders defence and only a little was the Rebels actual playing level. Next week against the Tahs will tell.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last play of the match summed up the Rebs night, JDeb knocking it on under zero pressure. Clan were efficient & workmanlike which is all they needed to be, really.

I think Marto wants to have ASmith's baby. Or possibly BSmith's. Or maybe one of each :)

Reactions: mst

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Last play of the match summed up the Rebs night, JDeb knocking it on under zero pressure. Clan were efficient & workmanlike which is all they needed to be, really.

I think Marto wants to have ASmith's baby. Or possibly BSmith's. Or maybe one of each :)
actually it was one of the smarter things he did all night, didn't have to kick it out to end the game, didn't have to keep playing and risking a turnover and another Highlanders try, thereby avoiding both being a spoilsport or an a idiot.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I just read an article by Nick Smart in Herald Sun he mentions injuries to Ellison (hamstring), Placid (shoulder) (which we already knew about) and English (knee). McGahan said we will have a look at them and get a read on those guys in coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.