• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds Friday 15 April

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah that was Vest, went off around the 50 minute mark I think, same time as when the bench front row came on
I thought Vest had a good stint. Did seem to tire at the back end.

I reckon hes done enough to retain the 6 over ASY (Angus Scott-Young) next weekend, especially considering he’s bailing overseas. I hope Thorn rewards the bloke who’s got the position and also playing good footy.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
For those on Vunivalu watch - it was a short stint but I’d say a good one. His two errors were ruck based and one of those wasn’t really his fault.

Looked comfortable in attack, seemed like he had lots of time to make decisions etc. Here’s hoping to more impact next weekend.
I expected more. At this point he is overhyped and needs to deliver next week. We are carrying him financially, whereas the likes of Flook and Campbell/Petaia are already ahead of him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Do you mean the pass to Tupou? Or is there an earlier pass. There is no way the pass to Tupou is forward based on where he catches it in relation to the 5.

The pass before that I think to ASY (Angus Scott-Young) looked suspect to me.

But I’m fairly sure the TMO could have ruled on it because it occurred within less than two phases of play. I assumed it had been cleared.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I reckon hes done enough to retain the 6 over ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) next weekend, especially considering he’s bailing overseas. I hope Thorn rewards the bloke who’s got the position and also playing good footy.
I’ve been thinking extremely impressed with Vest. But I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) remains in front of him. I thought I read Uru was close to a come back too, and I’d be bringing him straight back into the squad straight away as well.

Guys like Vest will continue to get chances through injury (and I think he’s done enough to get a contract for next year) but we need our best possible team every week for the next few and, IMO, Vest remains behind those guys.

On a related note, that was Faifau’s debut, wasn’t it. Congrats to the young man. Not huge minutes but had to show composure at the end there not to give away a cheap penalty (I actually thought the Reds were a bit lucky not to get done for off their feet - but it was good to see them hold their nerve and close the game out).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
On a related note, that was Faifau’s debut, wasn’t it. Congrats to the young man. Not huge minutes but had to show composure at the end there not to give away a cheap penalty (I actually thought the Reds were a bit lucky not to get done for off their feet - but it was good to see them hold their nerve and close the game out).
Ive got major issues with how those final few minutes were reffed in general.

Murphy put the whole game on fast forward. I agree the Reds looked sloppy in the cleaning but that’s because they were expected to recycle the ball almost instantly. It’s so inconsistent with how 99% of the game and ruck management is reffed.

The whole official crew just had eyes on Kalani and weren’t watching the offside line either. It’s like they were looking for a chance to get the Rebels a final crack.

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

I reckon hes done enough to retain the 6 over ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) next weekend, especially considering he’s bailing overseas. I hope Thorn rewards the bloke who’s got the position and also playing good footy.
I like Vest and thought he did well, but I can't see that happening, particularly with Uru also to come back. He lacks mobility and pace compared to those two and we really do rely on that from our 6. I'd prefer he wasn't dropped straight out of the side but to the bench first probably as backup lock, but a lot will depend on when the injured players become available. With Uru, Scott-Young and Salakia-Loto all back I could see an argument for leaving one of the two Northampton bound players off the bench for Vest for a game or two later on, probably Scott-Young in that situation.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep sorry I actually forgot about Uru. I think he drops straight into the starting side. He adds some variation to our running game.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Still can’t quite get my head round Philip’s performance last night, locks just don’t consistently make metres like that. He makes it look like a fluke then does it again & again against top defence.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So am I overreacting or should something further happen to the Rebels manager? You cannot tell me they made an "error" and it was an honest mistake.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
So am I overreacting or should something further happen to the Rebels manager? You cannot tell me they made an "error" and it was an honest mistake.
I doubt there will be a fine, but I reckon the Rebels will be getting a strongly worded email this week not to pull any shit like that again.

How did the 4th official let it happen anyway? My understanding is all subs are handed to an official who then tells players when they can enter the field.

I actually think it should have been an on field penalty for the Reds. It slowed the game down and was a clearly unsportsmanlike act.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Do you mean the pass to Tupou? Or is there an earlier pass. There is no way the pass to Tupou is forward based on where he catches it in relation to the 5.
Maybe the pass before but Tate’s pass looks definitely forward...

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I expected more. At this point he is overhyped and needs to deliver next week. We are carrying him financially, whereas the likes of Flook and Campbell/Petaia are already ahead of him.
Personally... if we are talking over hyped... I think young Petaia is.... and injury prone... at least you could argue Sunivalu was a solid player for the Storm in a tougher game.. has been unlucky since switching, but agree he does need to start earning his cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.