• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs Round 2 - 2012R02 - Dunlop Shield III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
And I still want to know why we didn't pick up one, or both of, Jenkins and Lam? Let alone Fainga'a Jr. or Hooper. Lipman is decent, if limited, and he won't be around forever - surely a top young openside should be a number one priority.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This will be close to Lipman's last year before his retirement as he's early 30s. He might play another year, or might not, but with Chamberlain and Saffy on the books, you're fine for 2011. 2012 will likely be another case, so I'd be surprised if the Rebels don't pick up a young openside for next year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Melbourne Rebels v HSBC WARATAHS
FxPro Super Rugby round 2
Friday March 2, 2012
Kick off 7.40pm

15. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
14. Tom Kingston (Sydney University)
13. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
12. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University), captain
9. Sarel Pretorius (unattached)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Chris Alcock (Eastwood)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dean Mumm (Sydney University)
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood), vice captain

Replacements
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
18. Lopeti Timani (Southern Districts)
19. Jono Jenkins (Sydney University)
20. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
21. Brackin Karauria-Henry (Southern Districts)
22. Nathan Trist (Sydney University)

Only one change of personnel in the run-on team, as expected. Foley comes in at fullback and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) takes BKH's spot on the wing. BKH takes Foley's seat on the bench. Nice to have a change (looking at last year as well) that wasn't forced.

Methinks that Foley's positional play and taking of the high ball will be tested.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Foley will also be the 5/8 cover, and Daisy Dennis once again appears to be the lock cover. Not that it matters, as last time both locks and Dennis all played 80, with Palu being subbed.

Guess Horne covers 12, BKH 13/wing, and Trist wing/fullback.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more spark in that backline, along with some improvement in basic skills (i.e. passing).

Cyril Towers (30)
Flights booked. Looking forward to this one. I thought tahs forwards were good last week, but I wouldn't underestimate that Rebels pack. There's a few young guys who will have learnt a lot last year. Who's likely to play LHP for them. ? Henderson ? Blake.

T

tranquility

If those three Rebels props can stay healthy, and Blake is aerobically fit I see them as a pretty good tripod of props. All of them are fairly experienced at Super Level and from all accounts Nic Henderson is a true professional. I really hope the Rebels forwards make a good account of themselves against the Tahs this week and we can see some enterprising play from both backlines.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And I still want to know why we didn't pick up one, or both of, Jenkins and Lam? Let alone Fainga'a Jr. or Hooper. Lipman is decent, if limited, and he won't be around forever - surely a top young openside should be a number one priority.

In regards to Fainga'a and Hooper... they were under contract with the Brumbies for the past two seasons...

N

Newter

daz - you should talk about the Rebels forwards more. You will find that when the forwards have a good go forward day the names of the backs don't matter that much. They all look good.

There are not too many backs who look good behind bad forwards, though Catchpole and Hipwell did best.

No. There are plenty of teams with strong forward packs who can't muster anything out wide. England for the last five or six years. France in the world cup final. Dominant forward packs do not automatically make "all" backs look good.

And the converse is also true. The Eddie Jones Wallabies used to win Test matches with less than 50% of the ball and no forward dominance whatsoever, because they had freaks like Mat Rogers and Stirling Mortlock.

Reactions: daz

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Heading down for this game. I haven't seen much of the Rebels from the trials. I'm a little nervous about this one.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No. There are plenty of teams with strong forward packs who can't muster anything out wide. England for the last five or six years. France in the world cup final. Dominant forward packs do not automatically make "all" backs look good.

And the converse is also true. The Eddie Jones Wallabies used to win Test matches with less than 50% of the ball and no forward dominance whatsoever, because they had freaks like Mat Rogers Stephen Larkham and Stirling Mortlock.

Fixed.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Really? It's obviously not the strongest but I think weak might be overstating things

I, for one, am hoping Jono Jenkins gets a bit of time on the paddock. Still don't undertand why no-one picked him up but I guess if he keeps being named for the Tahs he has to be contracted eventually, no?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really? It's obviously not the strongest but I think weak might be overstating things

I, for one, am hoping Jono Jenkins gets a bit of time on the paddock. Still don't undertand why no-one picked him up but I guess if he keeps being named for the Tahs he has to be contracted eventually, no?

Especially as Alcock played out the entire match and was the one that missed the tackle on Shipperley.

S

spooony

I think The Rebels pulled the short straw in getting a bye in the first week. They will also have cobwebs like most of the teams had in the 1st round and are facing a team who already had a feel for the competition and the new interpretations at the break downs.

First week I notice if you take the ball too far in hand you have more chance of getting penalized. Also there is no point running after the 4th phase as analysis showed teams got a 3 percent chance of scoring vs 21 percent of 3rd phase and 28 percent of 1st phase.

In what respect? Reds took 80 minutes to score against the same lineup last week.
No. It took The Reds 7 minutes to score actually. Poor discipline cost NSW 18 points

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Interesting laws that exist in NSW - spending 4 years of your life (from about age 24 to about age 27) in NSW means NSW can "claim you back". Seeing as I've lived in Sydney for approaching 12 years now, NSW much be able to "claim back" the last three generations of my family (one of which was born in England). Impressive!

For Chrissake's don't go there, Ash, or the banjo pluckers'll be claiming me! I lived in Brisbane from 1976 to 1982, too long, far too long. Me a Queenslander, aaarrrgggghhhh.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm only having a laugh boys, it's definitely not the strongest Tahs lineup, but it will be way too good for the Rebels. Especially considering our backrow looks like it's going to be Jones, Charmberlain, Delve.

Status
Not open for further replies.