• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs Round 2 - 2012R02 - Dunlop Shield III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
let's get this thread back on track.
have the rebels announced their team?
key matchups? The front row springs to mind.
I am looking forward to see cliffy palau v gareth delve. quite different number 8s and it will be great to see a bit of head to head between two hard men. I haven't seen much of cliffy lately (who has??) but i'd say he'd still have the open field advantage...in the tight stuff i personally like delve better.
flanks will be interesting as well. NSW 6 and 8 arne't what they used to be and I think this will be a surpisingly tight battle. watch for saffy to come on at 50 or 60 minutes and out work all of them.

for me, the forward pack that wins the day will belong to the winning team.
i'll give NSW the advantage at 9.
10s are probably even....depends on which cips shows up really
Vuna v Kingston - advantage Vuna based on last year and pre-season form
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) v Mitchell/Kinghi - advantage AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). he's just too talented and experienced.
12 advantage is definitely to the rebels. Carter is a muppet (see last weeks game)
13 - looking forward to this. so much man love on here for rob horne - i don't share it but realistically advantage to horne with his hard hitting, straight lines and experience.
full back - go Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). its going to be wet on the ground tomorrow and his big beautiful boot is just what we need back there.

overall - if the rebels pack can hold up (looking at you freir!) then i think we're in for an excellent game....certainly better than last year.

head says tip the tahs based on their forwards and experience. gut says a rebels win...

i'll be sinking a few beers regardless.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think you underestimate Dave Dennis at 6 for the stays Arthur. The boy is gonna be a wallaby superstar in the next couple of years.

Also, Tom Carter ripped you guys apart last week and is coming Off a really rare bad game, he is gonna run through Cips all night ling and JOC (James O'Connor) is gonna be doing alot of defensive work.

I just can't see the rebels getting clean ball, think it's gonna be a long night in Melbourne.

S

spooony

You can have whatever backline and it won't help anything if your pack gets a hiding. Just ask the Chiefs. NSW pack got the better of the Reds as well. Just the miss tackles and discipline that cost them in the end.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
tom carter did rip us apart last year....and i believe we had Julian Huxley at 12....the turnstile of turnstiles.
JOC (James O'Connor) is a massive improvement and cipriani has looked markedly better this pre-season. actually making tackles!

Dave Dennis - will admit, i haven't seen much of him to warrant an appropriate comment but its safe to say that he would probably rank ahead of luke jones who is a newby.

always this talk of how bad our pack is....yes there were moments and games last year when it didn't perform but overall, actually being at all of their home games, they stood up very well. the problem last year was the bellhops in the 9,10,11, and 12 jumpers were constantly opening the door to let the opposition walk on through
virtually every game last year (absolutely excluding the first game) that was the primary area where we were let down the 9,10,12 and 11 channels. they were appalling.

I think most rebels fans will agree that our pack has a far worse reputation that it deserves. look at how they handled the sharks pack at AAMI (one of the better packs)...they were great agains the hurricanes as well who were laced with ABs last year and the home game against the reds, again our backs were dominated.

P

philsale

Beale officially out.

STARTING TEAM:
1. LOOSEHEAD PROP - Nic Henderson
2. HOOKER - Adam Freier
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Laurie Weeks
4. LEFT LOCK - Adam Byrnes
5. RIGHT LOCK - Hugh Pyle
6. LEFT FLANKER - Luke Jones
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Tom Chamberlain
8. NUMBER EIGHT - Gareth Delve
9. SCRUMHALF - Nick Phipps
10. FLYHALF - Danny Cipriani
11. LEFT WING - Cooper Vuna
12. INSIDE CENTRE - James O’Connor
13. OUTSIDE CENTRE - Mitch Inman
14. RIGHT WING - Lachlan Mitchell
15. FULLBACK - Mark Gerrard
REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE - Luke Holmes
17. RESERVE - Rodney Blake
18. RESERVE - Alister Campbell
19. RESERVE - Jarrod Saffy
20. RESERVE - Richard Kingi
21. RESERVE - Lloyd Johansson
22. RESERVE - Julian Huxley

Reactions: gbp

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
henderson frier and weeks will have a tought night ahead of them. Fantasy tip: tight head wins are worth big points, so get TPN, Benn or Kepu in to your teams :)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
tumblr_m06htnce4Y1qdco49.gif

Tahs by 18. Huxley to miss 14 tackles, throw a forward pass and knock the ball on twice.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Beale officially out.

STARTING TEAM:
1. LOOSEHEAD PROP - Nic Henderson
2. HOOKER - Adam Freier
3. TIGHTHEAD PROP - Laurie Weeks
4. LEFT LOCK - Adam Byrnes
5. RIGHT LOCK - Hugh Pyle
6. LEFT FLANKER - Luke Jones
7. RIGHT FLANKER - Tom Chamberlain
8. NUMBER EIGHT - Gareth Delve

REPLACEMENTS:
16. RESERVE - Luke Holmes
17. RESERVE - Rodney Blake
18. RESERVE - Alister Campbell
19. RESERVE - Jarrod Saffy

Based on the Tahs form last week you would not rate any of these forwards against their direct match-ups except maybe Pyle and Saffy, and that's a real maybe too. I fear the Rebels are in for a long night.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
did not realise lipman was injured.....don't like that. any word on why saffy is on the bench?

no lipman and no ged hurts our pack for sure. i like both our locks. i like tom chamberlain. he was great in the ITM from the few games of his that i saw. delve is a warhorse. he'll go 100% day in day out.

the positive i take out of this lineup is that it takes two starters to be injured before we bring in hux.....the negative is that mortlock will probably be injured a bit so we'll only really ever be one injury away.

does anyone else feel when you actually look at our list, we don't have that many backs....take out two of the regulars and we're down to huxley and hilgendorf.

i am less confident upon seeing this team.

D

daz

Amazing. During the trial games (apart from the trial 1) it was all light and sunshine from the Rebels fans. Going into round 1 suddenly it is all darkness and despair.

I don't know where all the negativity has come from. So you have a few starters out. So what? It's not as if the rest of the Oz rugby community doesn't know your depth is shallow.

Talk your team up boys. There is some good stuff there to work with and I think the Rebs are going to go a bit better this year. I certainly think there will be a few more Wallaby jersey wearers in the current Rebels ranks within the next 12 months or so.

Personally, I find the derision by some Rebels "fans" towards members of your own team to be ugly and uncalled for. If you dislike your players so much or can't handle the fact you probably won't win a Super title in your second year, then maybe the Melbourne Storm is more your cup of tea.

/end rant.

PS - Ok, so maybe I was a bit harsh. Still, first game of the year and the sky is falling? Abusing your own players? Come on....

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i have not been a fan of hux from the start. this is nothing new. he was a great player but he's past his peak (in a valley way off in the woods beside the mountain to be precise) .nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. I'd rather not talk up a bad player just because he's on my team. I can't stand that. if he's not good, he's not good. his being on your team doesnt mean you have to suddenly find potential in him or strengths in his game that would not exist were he on another team.

sky is not falling. i am just not as confident as i was previously when i thought lipman and ged would be playing. i still think we will win, but i am less confident about it now.

my comment to depth was more of an observation so if it came out whingingly i apologise. until today i had been under the impression we had a plethora of backs (i think i have a few posts on here asking why we had signed so many backs) that doesnt appear to be the case.

i appreciate you crossing out suggesting we become storm fans....to quote marie kate and ashley olsen "how rude"

i dont expect a super championship this year. anyone who does is moderately delusional. but i expect a solid season. i think we're a very good chance to place ahead of the force and the brumbies (and the tahs!).

please don't misconstrue my dislike for huxley's current playing ability for me bashing my team. the mighty rebels will do just fine this year (caveat - as long as huxley isn't full back!!)

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Realistically I think everyone knows that the Rebels are at best going to come third in the Aus conference, after the Reds and Waratahs. You'd have to be a rabidly one-eyed fan to think that we're better than the Tahs. However, upsets do happen, and we're hoping for consistency and good defence more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.