• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Sharks - 2011R04

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Bad luck Rebels. Some positives there for sure. There was glimpses of the Morty of old which is good for him and the Rebs. The combinations are starting to gel.

Congratulations to the Sharks on the win. They are an awsome side at the breakdown.

Great game to watch that one.

W

WB3

Good game of footy, the Rebels were very close to a great win and the Sharks showed their class to outdo them in the end. The loss of Gerrard was massive though and I wonder just what could have been.

Anyway, signs of promise from the Rebels and some great team play from both sides.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great game, really enjoyed it, great passion.

Huxley didn't have enough puff and fluffed 3 time in the back end of the game.

Delve and Robinson were just excellent

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Awesome game to watch, the Rebels lost when Mark Gerrad went of. He is to the Rebels what Beale is to the Tahs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Got to say the Rebels crowd have proved to have the best atmosphere in the Oz conference if what is coming through the Tele is anything to go by. Just a great turnout and support the team very well. Its early days but the Rebels so far are a big success in my book.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
In contrast to Round 1, some glimpses of excellent defense. Rebels did very well to hang on to their lead as long as they did with just 14 men only the field for part of that time.

tic

Herbert Moran (7)
Got to say the Rebels crowd have proved to have the best atmosphere in the Oz conference if what is coming through the Tele is anything to go by. Just a great turnout and support the team very well. Its early days but the Rebels so far are a big success in my book.

Oh come on, 15000 people is not a strong crowd.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

I think the comment relates to how well the crowd supports their team. But when you think that the Tah crowd to see the Cheetahs game will struggle to get over 20,000 and the brumbies crowds have been closer to 10,000, then 15,000 for a completely new team in AFL-mad Melbourne doesn't look too bad.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
I think if Gerard didn't get injured, chances are Rebels win the game. But cest la vie.

Those criticising Huxley at the back end should note that Cipriani had a big hand in those issues, the only one that was solely down to Huxley was the clearance, and even there, Kingi was poor (actually he was generally pretty poor). Would have been nice if they could have subbed Rooney onto the wing and perhaps (perhaps!!) Vuna to IC or something once Hux was stuffed but again, such is life.

I was really impressed with two things. The forwards (as a collective), and the strategy/planning behind a lot of what they executed. If they can keep up that level of effort and keep improving then they'll win their fair share this year.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)

The Melbourne Storm in their premiership winning 2009 season averaged a 10000 weak crowd at their home ground in Melbourne.

The Rebels are doing alright in my opinion. The crowd is the most passionate in the competition.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon you could look back at this game and you could narrow down a few things that lost them the game. It wasn't things like Huxley dropping the ball a few times or giving away penalties. It was simple strategic decision making. For example, when the Rebels were hot on attack, 10metres out, the forwards had the ball and probably a phase or two away from crossing the try line, except the scum half panics, spreads the ball hugely wide when nothing was on, the man gets isolated and wuala, turn over. Another example is when the Rebels were making good metres and into the Sharks 22, Kingi (another poor decision from the scrum half, albeit a different one) tries to do too much and sends a poor grubber kick down field.

Catching passes can be fixed in a week. Communication and decision making is improving at the Rebels, but clearly as I have identified, there are issues still and these will be slowly ironed out I expect as the season progresses. Good signs overall.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Exactly, The force averaged 28'500 in their first year, with a population the third of Melbourne. Pretty shit crowd figures IMO.

But the Rebs were very enjoyable to watch. Good on them for showing their heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.