• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I must say I have never seen a senior manager unload in such a fashion on a contracted member of their organisation, let alone a coach on a player. There were just enough positive comments about Cooper in the story about Tapuai that supporters of Deans will latch on to them to say look he doesn't have a problem with Quade. I however take another view, that these comments along with those previously made after the RWC game against the ABs illustrate the story for me. The later comments by Quade about a "Toxic environment" look even more true to me now. Quade broke ranks and in great Australian style he was shot down and trampled by all and sundry, for this this most grievous offence. Who is firing shots at Deans now for this gross breach of ethics (especially given the previous breach with the same player)?

something

Jim Clark (26)
Dont get me wrong im a massive QC (Quade Cooper) supporter, but i actually dont mind if he doesn't get picked for the Lions tour.

Think about the scenarios. 1 if he did get picked and they lost Quade would probably get the blame. 2 If he doesn't get picked and they lose, Deans will get the blame (hopefully)

3 If he does get picked and they win, Deans will probably stay in office for another 12 years & QC (Quade Cooper) wont get any acknowledgment.4 If he doesn't get picked and they win it'll probably be pretty boring & Deans might get the sack..

If there is no QC (Quade Cooper) & they win playing exciting rugby then kudos to Deans. but thats unlikely

T

TOCC

What the he'll is wrong with Robbie Deans, Quade is in South Africa and wasn't even contacted about his omission from the squad before it's press release, now he is blaming Quade for Ben Tapuai's form slide? That is shit which should be done on a personal level, not sold to the media as an excuse as to why you omitted him..

Robbie has piss poor man management skills, he employed the scorched earth policy with Giteau and now he is doing the same with Quade.

Who is Robbie deans to criticise the try scoring ability of the Reds backline, does he realise how few tries the wallabies scored in 2012? Suppose that was Quades fault as well....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure he was obligated to tell Quade before the team was announced.
There is no doubt his later comments were not helpful, and were ill advised.
He had the high ground,he didn't pick him, there was no need to add anything further.
anyone who thinks Quade will run out in a yellow jumper against the Lions is delusional.
Sounds like Robbie doesn't forgive or forget.

T

TOCC

I'm not sure he was obligated to tell Quade before the team was announced.
There is no doubt his later comments were not helpful, and were ill advised.
He had the high ground,he didn't pick him, there was no need to add anything further.
anyone who thinks Quade will run out in a yellow jumper against the Lions is delusional.
Sounds like Robbie doesn't forgive or forget.

Not obligated, however a person employing better man management skills would have taken it upon themselves to make a 5min phone call to explain his reasons for non-selection and what he needs to work on rather then just having him read about it on twitter.

Even if he did that for 10 players, it's less then an hour of RD's work day..

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Deans' comments today re QC (Quade Cooper)'s 'responsibilities' re Taps ordinary form were triply obnoxious and shamefully reckless knowing full well the Reds are in the middle of crucial away games that may determine their entire S15 season's outcomes.

How will QC (Quade Cooper) and his close Reds players feel today? How would we feel in similar circumstances? His public undermining by Deans is virtually complete, he's been accused by the national coach of effectively damaging the skill and capabilities of a (Wallaby) teammate via his own alleged deficiencies.

Will QC (Quade Cooper) continue to give a damn?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Deans' comments today re QC (Quade Cooper)'s 'responsibilities' re Taps ordinary form were triply obnoxious and shamefully reckless knowing full well the Reds are in the middle of crucial away games that may determine their entire S15 season's outcomes.

How will QC (Quade Cooper) and his close Reds players feel today? How would we feel in similar circumstances? His public undermining by Deans is virtually complete, he's been accused by the national coach of effectively damaging the skill and capabilities of a (Wallaby) teammate via his own alleged deficiencies.

Will QC (Quade Cooper) continue to give a damn?

What seriously worries me is the prospect of losing him to another code or overseas. My guess is he will eventually throw the towel in if Link doesn't get the Job and we have Deans for the next world cup. As will I.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
http://media.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/selections/whats-wrong-with-quade-deans-4287278.html

For those who haven't heard his radio appearance.

I find it really weird that he is currently playing his best and most balanced rugby but Deans has opted against him. Contrarily, I thought he was the biggest joke in rugby before Link arrived, dropping the ball and doing stupid things and yet he was chosen... Weird justification for not including him, dont you think? "I have selected him in the past on 38 occasions but in his best form, I won't"

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
What seriously worries me is the prospect of losing him to another code or overseas. My guess is he will eventually throw the towel in if Link doesn't get the Job and we have Deans for the next world cup. As will I.
Surely you wouldnt be surprised if he did. He's been saying he wants to play in the NRL since 2010.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Surely you wouldnt be surprised if he did. He's been saying he wants to play in the NRL since 2010.

Not surprised at all. Disappointed that we have let a great talent leave though.

I don't think he particularly wants to play NRL, he loves Union and has played at 10 since his days at Churchie inside David Pocock.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I wouldn't want him to go either to be frank, but I have to say all the discussions on him over the years exhausted me. I'd prefer the headlines to be on the game and less on an individual, but that's the way it is.

Now back to Quade and Robbie

After reading the Rugby Heaven article my first thought was what the F is Deans on, but having listened to the radio interview, admittedly the Tapuai comment wasn't there, Deans was positive about Quade. He refers to him as a great player twice. It's an unusual tack but in that 2 minute grab he is defending Quade's omission but at the same time complementing Quade. If you take him at his word he believes he is an excellent player but he doesn't think the skill set that Quade offers at this point in time suits the teams requirements for the Lions series.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I wouldn't want him to go either to be frank, but I have to say all the discussions on him over the years exhausted me. I'd prefer the headlines to be on the game and less on an individual, but that's the way it is.

Now back to Quade and Robbie

After reading the Rugby Heaven article my first thought was what the F is Deans on, but having listened to the radio interview, admittedly the Tapuai comment wasn't there, Deans was positive about Quade. He refers to him as a great player twice. It's an unusual tack but in that 2 minute grab he is defending Quade's omission but at the same time complementing Quade. If you take him at his word he believes he is an excellent player but he doesn't think the skill set that Quade offers at those point in time
suit the teams requirements for the Lions series.

I wish I could reply with "yes he is a smart coach and I believe he has really thought about who is best to combat the enormous Lions Backs and under estimated attack they will bring to the table" but he has not really shown in the past that he is the best at making such decisions.

He is quoted as saying ‘Benny Taps is evidence of Quade not quite getting that balance right. He’s not thriving outside him. He’s got to be prepared to allow others to do some of the playmaking as well as himself.’’

I think that interview was cut off and he says it either before or after what is put up online.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Those sort of comments won't be increasing his standing in the eyes of many other players. Making his own noose? The players will know this is utter crap and when the likely captain and deputy are Reds do you want to be nonchalant about your feelings to there club, coach and team mates.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Bob Dwyer, Will Genia, Eddie Jones, John Connolly, George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock, Andrew Slack, Tim Horan, Brendan Cannon, Greg Martin (as insane as he is) and Matthew Burke.

It's fair to say that with the list of names above in support of cooper, Deans' is treading on thin ice.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was also critical of Coopers defense last year and his inability to take on the line early this year. He has shown vast improvements if late - it must frustrate him no end to be working hard on what the coach wants but with no recognition of the same.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bob Dwyer, Will Genia, Eddie Jones, John Connolly, George Gregan, Stirling Mortlock, Andrew Slack, Tim Horan, Brendan Cannon, Greg Martin (as insane as he is) and Matthew Burke.

It's fair to say that with the list of names above in support of cooper, Deans' is treading on thin ice.
I almost put Eddie Jones in the same category as Marto in terms of credibility. ;)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What the he'll is wrong with Robbie Deans, Quade is in South Africa and wasn't even contacted about his omission from the squad before it's press release,

How could he have contacted him? No players should've been told their fate before their matches on the weekend. The Reds game finished at 5am AEST.

From Lutton's article
Cooper (27) has the third highest amount of turnovers in Super Rugby, behind Stephen Moore (31) and Deon Fourie (30) from the Stormers. On the flipside, he also leads Super Rugby in offloads (27).

That's not a flipside! The offloads are part of the problem, he hates contact and doesn't like dying with the ball. He offloads the ball in bad situations and puts pressure on his team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.