• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

I think Robbie will be impressed, before his first touch of the ball, I am sure I saw CFS look at what was in front of him, and then he played it...and scored. He is the ultimate example of what Deans wants to happen

Jeez mate I saw a kid in the under 8's on the weekend - absolute special - Robbie probably has now heard of him. Hopefully the kid gets just a little more time to develop.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I havent seen how Browning has progressed this year. I have heard talk about converting him to a prop. Has anyone got more information on this?

I think he is a fine future player and offers more than Butler but without knowing what position he is going to play is he really a replacement for Higgers.

Internally the Reds have Quirk, Schatz, and Samo for 2013. The other forgotten No6 is McDuling who has been off with an ACL reconstruction.

I suspect Samo won't be around at S15 level for 2013. Age is wearying him.

T

tranquility

Jeez mate I saw a kid in the under 8's on the weekend - absolute special - Robbie probably has now heard of him. Hopefully the kid gets just a little more time to develop.

I am positive LB was taking the piss mate. ha ha

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the rumors of a 2yr contract were false, pretty sure he only signed for 1..

As a GPS supporter I won't be disappointed if he's signed on for another year...as it seems like he's stuck down in club rugby for now.

I do seem to remember reports of him being signed through the 2013 season but you would think with his age the QRU would have been hesitant to do this. Although, having met him a number of times, the mentoring ability he provides is valuable so maybe the Reds management recognized this and gave him a longer contract with the intention of having him 'watch over' what is a fairly young group of talented backrowers.

T

TOCC

As a GPS supporter I won't be disappointed if he's signed on for another year...as it seems like he's stuck down in club rugby for now.

I do seem to remember reports of him being signed through the 2013 season but you would think with his age the QRU would have been hesitant to do this. Although, having met him a number of times, the mentoring ability he provides is valuable so maybe the Reds management recognized this and gave him a longer contract with the intention of having him 'watch over' what is a fairly young group of talented backrowers.

Give him a coaching position if the Reds are after a mentor.. We only have 30 positions for players in the squad, if Radike is no longer fit for week to week super rugby then its probably time he call it a day.. I love the bloke, but we need to be realistic here, if he is struggling in 2012, its only going to be harder in 2013.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I really fear for him if we are going to do this - it seems that if a player gets too hyped too early he invariably ends up with a big line of people wanting to knock him down.

Its OK, he can't read yet, he's only 5 yrs old.

Reactions: TSR

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think I might be in the minority here, but I think Rod Davies should be kept in mind. I know he hasn't played well this year, but I honestly think that he is really a quality finisher rather than a maker. That sort of player is valuable at the extreme ends of a firing backline (something that hasn't really happened much at the reds this year). Looking back to the first 20 minutes of the sharks game - probably close to the most dominant we looked all season - he actually looked very dangerous with several breaks like last year.

I would really prefer to see him kept on and rotate the outside backs to minimize the injuries .

Also rotate Ben Lucas and Sam lane at 5/8 next year as well... I don't know if we are keeping QC (Quade Cooper) next year. Land and Lucas look to play a very similar game and don't think it would impact greatly if they were played every other game.

Never do I want to see the curse of the 10 like we have this year.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I think I might be in the minority here, but I think Rod Davies should be kept in mind. I know he hasn't played well this year, but I honestly think that he is really a quality finisher rather than a maker. That sort of player is valuable at the extreme ends of a firing backline (something that hasn't really happened much at the reds this year). Looking back to the first 20 minutes of the sharks game - probably close to the most dominant we looked all season - he actually looked very dangerous with several breaks like last year.

i agree, shocking 2012 season but everybody seems to have forgotten how well he played in 2011. if there is a fast, working backline - davies works pretty well. If you want to see davies in form just youtube the replays of last years semi final vs the blues.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I would really prefer to see him kept on and rotate the outside backs to minimize the injuries .

Also rotate Ben Lucas and Sam lane at 5/8 next year as well... I don't know if we are keeping QC (Quade Cooper) next year. Land and Lucas look to play a very similar game and don't think it would impact greatly if they were played every other game.

Never do I want to see the curse of the 10 like we have this year.
unfortunately for Lucas I see him being a sub for his entire career at the Reds from now on. He can cover too many positions as a sub and easily allows for only 2 backs to be on the bench. It is a shame as I would love to see him in the starting team but I cant find a spot for him in a fully fit team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
unfortunately for Lucas I see him being a sub for his entire career at the Reds from now on. He can cover too many positions as a sub and easily allows for only 2 backs to be on the bench. It is a shame as I would love to see him in the starting team but I cant find a spot for him in a fully fit team.

Lucas can come south anytime he wants I would suggest he should be a walk up start at the Tahs who need a decent 10 and 9 and 15.

You can have Berrick back, we are finished with him now thanks.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Lucas can come south anytime he wants I would suggest he should be a walk up start at the Tahs who need a decent 10 and 9 and 15.

Yeah, the Tahs were chasing him hard. The Reds actually finally re-snared Lucas only weeks ago as they rushed him in to HQ the weekend of the The Great Genia Drama and said 'Genia's going, we'd love you to re-sign now' and, yes, he did on the assumed premise of Genia's goodbye. When Genia changed minds, the Reds offered Lucas the chance to back away and rescind the re-sign, but he decided to keep the deal. There was quite a bit of angst over all this.

BB. It's a heart-rending provincial rugby tragedy of sorts. He's been a net poor investment for the Tahs, it's not worked out how anybody hoped. But, when you look carefully, how many 'star shifts' of this type really have? It's not worked at the Force, but they persist in believing it will. The jury's out at the Rebels re star shifts, let's assess at the end of 2013's S15 season. When the Brums star shifted lots but the other way around, things just got so much better.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Very generous of you Gnostic however I think we will struggle by without him:). The reserves bench is strong enough as it is.

Puts some of the recent gnashing of teeth and crying into perspective doesn't it? If you believed the talk at the time Berrick went south, it was the end for the Reds, condemned to be cellar dwellers for ever after QLD rugby's last hope vanished.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
We
Very generous of you Gnostic however I think we will struggle by without him:). The reserves bench is strong enough as it is.

Puts some of the recent gnashing of teeth and crying into perspective doesn't it? If you believed the talk at the time Berrick went south, it was the end for the Reds, condemned to be cellar dwellers for ever after QLD rugby's last hope vanished.[/quoteAdjust keep producing them. Apparently it's got something to do with a magic ingredient found in Bundy rum & can be passed down through the genes

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I've heard that when Lucas re-signed, it was under the impression Genia was 100% gone and he would be the premier half-back for QLD. Bet he'd be a little shitted off you'd imagine, but IMO he is our best fullback and second best fly half so he will constantly be a member of the starting side.

T

tranquility

However, if Sam Lane is kept around they may groom him as the backup 10. However Ben Lucas is a gun, and in my best backline everyday of the week.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, the Tahs were chasing him hard. The Reds actually finally re-snared Lucas only weeks ago as they rushed him in to HQ the weekend of the The Great Genia Drama and said 'Genia's going, we'd love you to re-sign now' and, yes, he did on the assumed premise of Genia's goodbye. When Genia changed minds, the Reds offered Lucas the chance to back away and rescind the re-sign, but he decided to keep the deal. There was quite a bit of angst over all this.

BB. It's a heart-rending provincial rugby tragedy of sorts. He's been a net poor investment for the Tahs, it's not worked out how anybody hoped. But, when you look carefully, how many 'star shifts' of this type really have? It's not worked at the Force, but they persist in believing it will. The jury's out at the Rebels re star shifts, let's assess at the end of 2013's S15 season. When the Brums star shifted lots but the other way around, things just got so much better.
I think BB should be a fullback, while he does not have the outright speed that other 15's have, he would be the best kicking 15 in Australia and with a lack of kicking wingers and centres we need someone at the back who can kick a ball well. He is also a great tackler too.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
For those wondering if Dane Gagai was going to end up with the Reds next year:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...gagais-signature/story-e6frep5x-1226369759399

Looks like the NRL team Newcastle Knights picked him up. I didn't think the Reds would end up with him despite lots of media saying they were the front runners as he wanted to stay in Brisbane. I think this is another sign that Taps will definately be staying in QLD as they had no need to pursue Gagai because they are fairly well stocked in the outside backs/centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.