• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Why is it that our school boys have had the wood over NZ for the last 5 or so years, but we struggle at U20s against them, who are extremely dominant?

One of the reasons why our Schools team is going well against the Kiwis is that we actually do something better than the Kiwis do in rugby. Our schools selection process is better.

I was sitting next to a big Maori guy at the 2010 Bledisloe and he had been involved in one of the Kiwi unions. He said that Kiwi lads who were not in one of the big rugby schools had trouble getting selected because the big tournament involved individual schools who had qualified for the national title. The schools who didn't go to the tournament would send in DVDs of their star players.

I don't know that that is still the case because he was talking about something of 5-6 years ago now, but in the TV broadcast of the game last Saturday Quinny said something similar.

Anyway, this bloke said the guys at the union would roll their eyes when they saw a lad picked when they knew that somebody else from another school in the union was much better, but his school wasn't at the tournament.

As soon as they left school though the union got their best players on the fast track and into the national system.

In Oz there are selection issues and there is unfairness, that we need not talk about on this thread, but at least our lads at weaker rugby schools, in NSW for example, get a chance to play in two levels of rep matches and don't have to have DVDs sent in for them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is Jonah a legitimate Toowoomba boy, or a ring-in? and has he always been a gun or a latish bloomer towards the end of high school?
Did he play QLD 1?

Yeah Jonah was in the Ones this year and had a pretty good tournament though nowhere near as sensational as he was in the 2011 U/16s when I wrote this in my team of the tournament:

15. Jonah Placid – Qld Reds
Had a brilliant week, especially today when he made incursions, Cullen like, time after time. Hard to judge him as a defensive fullback because his team was so dominant.

As I said in the Oz Schoolboys thread: if Oz Sevens used four 2011 Schoolboys in 2012, Placid could play 7s in 2013. Placid in 2012 looks like a better 7s player for 2013 than McMahon, Miller, Fa'alava'au and Clark did when I saw them against NZ Schools 12 months ago, for 2012.

Then I added that he should also get to play XVs to learn how to be a custodial fullback on defence and to kick long from hand as Cullen could and Dagg does.

T

TOCC

I must have missed it, are the Reds going to feature in the 2013 version of 'The Code'?
any more details?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nah, it was more a mix of a preview and "the making of"
If you enjoyed the the first one, you will enjoy this one as well.
Starts next week apparently.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought it looked tantalising.
Lets hope the series resembles the prelude.
Next year they're doing the Thunderbirds but without brains - and Miss Penelope.

T

TOCC

i just watched the preview... it looks awesome, i love that sort of stuff...

I was overseas for the Tahs version of The Code so missed all of that one..

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Thursday nights. The first one is next week at 7pm Brisbane time so 8pm down south.

T

TOCC

It looks like its of pretty high quality as well, and by the sounds of it they were effectively given unlimited access to behind the scenes

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
It looks like its of pretty high quality as well, and by the sounds of it they were effectively given unlimited access to behind the scenes

Can I get this show anywhere else? Is it on the Foxsport iPad app? Also anyone hear how Luke is? Hope you have a speedy recovery mate.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yesterday, on the sevens, they said it was a medial ligament injury (I am not from the health profession - so I don't even know about that stuff apart from what I can research on wiki :p). In the replay it looked like a horrible injury. :(

I imagine like most injuries it would take a fair while to recover??? - and then there's another year to regain confidence in using it. I just can't believe the amount of injuries the Australian's have been copping in the last year and half.

With all the talks surrounding Deans, I am probably one of the very few who do NOT want Ewan to go the wallabies coaching role at all. I am going to cop a lot of flack for this from a lot of people I imagine, but I can't help but feel that if the super rugby franchises are coached really well then I think that the requirement for national coaching brilliance is reduced. The players will know how to play, will be more adaptable and will then only need to learn the set moves and not need to learn the basics as well (something that they should NOT have to be learning once in the wallabies).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Medial ligament injuries tend to be the most painful knee injuries because it is the largest ligament with the most blood flow. The good news is that providing you haven't torn the thing completely, the blood flow helps the healing process and a medial ligament injury will generally repair itself.

Depending on the grading, it's generally a few weeks to a couple of months. If you've torn it right through and require surgery then it is a longer injury (still not as bad as a ACL/knee reconstruction).

I haven't seen the injury.

T

TOCC

That's good to know, hopefully he'll be fit for 2013. I really think next year will be his breakout year.

I have heard that said a few times... In his defence I think he was one of those young blokes put on a pedestal too early, especially after he was taken on the Wallabies few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.