• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know where I find out exactly what the ARU's foreign player rule is? Just curious. I've been Googling and can't find much at all. It would help if you can even tell me whether it is an ARU, SANZAR or IRB rule or none of the above. Maybe it's just some sort of policy the ARU has?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That's what I figured. I imagine it would be very hard to get a hold of a copy. Not that they're hiding it, just that it would prob be a half a page document on some out of date page on the ARU's internal intranet. Well if my place of employ is anything to go by, it will be! ;)

W

What2040

Reckon the Reds should jump on Browning (if they haven't already) - Kid was brilliant at schoolboys and reportedly great at Prems

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Is there somewhere you can find this ARU policy? It must be hard to enforce a policy that no1 can read and refer too?

Not full details, but one of the media reports last year had this (marquee player to be counted as the average fee under the cap regardless of the actual wage):

..... A document seen by The Daily Telegraph reveals ARU plans to cut player wages with a $4.4 million salary cap at Super Rugby level next year, which will then be cut back to $4.1 million from 2013.
The money must be spread between 30 members of a "core playing squad" and five players on rookie contracts.
Most states currently carry between 38-40 full-time players in their squads.
Where an unofficial cap of around $150,000 to $160,000 existed previously for individual Super Rugby contracts, states may now pay a player as much as they like but, like the NRL, must compensate elsewhere to fit all players under the cap.
The minimum wage in the main squad will stay at $60,095, meaning many mid-range wages will be trimmed.
The ARU protocols also stipulate that they will now not begin negotiating with any players for top-up money until after a deal has been agreed in principle (though not legally) between the player and province.
This is a move no doubt designed to get the states to compete and share more of the costs for elite players with their $4.4 million annual grant, and cut back on a bloated group of players receiving top-up money.
About 50 players now receive top-up money and ARU boss John O'Neill is keen to trim it back to 35.
The grey world of third-party player payments may become even murkier, however, with the protocols declaring that all deals "sourced, facilitated, serviced or guaranteed" by the franchise would count under the salary cap, but those not linked will remain outside the "maximum contribution" cap.
The ARU will allow team sponsors to pay five players up to $30,000 each as a marquee-like concession. The ARU summary document says the new protocols are to "protect the long-term financial health and viability" of Super sides, and to spread talent around.
With the stronger states often accused of warehousing talent at the expense of the weaker ones, the distribution of talent is hoped to be achieved by reducing squad sizes and the creation of a transparent "contracting window" in September.
During the window, franchises must provide a list to the ARU of players they've yet to contract, who will then go in a pool for all states to view and bid for players on 12-month contracts.
The protocols will also open avenues for foreign players and possible private money to lure them to Australia by ruling that they will go into the cap at the average fee of $137,000 regardless of wage.

http://article.wn.com/view/2011/03/29/Australian_Super_15_clubs_will_soon_enter_into_new_salary_ca/

J

Jiggles

Just got off the blower to a mate back in Brisbane and he said Rex Tapuai has been playing very well at the back end of the year including throughout the finals.

Firstly has anyone been watching him week in week out and is he Super Rugby material. Secondly just skimming through the thread, I don't think we can pick up another back so it would be nice if he could get a contract somewhere. Just as long as its not NSW. they kill Backline talent. Anyone think any chance of that happening?

J

Jiggles

No idea, hence why I asked. From what I have been told he would make a good addition to any team, and the Force could use it.

T

TOCC

The question was directed to the broader forum.. I read someone mentioning his name in relation to the Force..

He would be a good addition to depth, but I wouldn't expect to much..

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The question was directed to the broader forum.. I read someone mentioning his name in relation to the Force..

He would be a good addition to depth, but I wouldn't expect to much..

Sanchez's little brother is over there as well isn't he. Maybe they've come too their senses and do a Brumbies and build a really solid team from good solid up and coming players rather than from spending all their money on a couple of big signings.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sanchez's little brother is over there as well isn't he. Maybe they've come too their senses and do a Brumbies and build a really solid team from good solid up and coming players rather than from spending all their money on a couple of big signings.
He wont be getting a gig i dont think. He have picked up snowden at 9. he has done well since he has been here played alot with Godwin and they won the grandfinal last week but i think the force are abit bitter about the whole big brother thing.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Eveybody get he email from Link about Growing Rugby (pasted below). He sounds really committed to the reds and he plan he put in place 3 years ago.

Grow or go home

In any business faced with difficult times, the common response is to batten down the hatches, consolidate your position, cut and trim your discretionary spending, and then ride out the wave.

This is the blueprint many organisations choose to adopt but the reality is that once those business tricks have been exhausted, you are left with only one way to go - and that’s to grow.

Employing a growth mindset in tough times is difficult and is certainly not the norm, but then again, the business of sport is not exactly normal.

Across the board, sport never produces great profit margins. While there are some astronomical revenues generated in our industry, profit lines remain minimal. So it’s safe to say if you were an investor you wouldn’t be running into the sporting industry with a view to huge profits, instead you would be chasing your 20-30% returns elsewhere.

But, as tough as the business of sport is in Queensland - where mistakes on and off the field can cost you dearly - we at Queensland Rugby continue to ensure growth remains at the forefront of our thinking and strategic planning.

As a starting point, accumulating enough funds and being able to deliver strong economics is paramount, as this at least gives you the opportunity to implement growth. Without enough funds, you won’t be able to compete.

Once you have enough capital behind you, then comes the hard part. You can talk growth, which is cheap, or you can action it, and that has been our mindset over the last three seasons.

Queensland Rugby has grown its way out of trouble and has put the organisation in a strong position to compete with the major sports on every level. Had I written this three years ago when we were formulating our strategy, everyone would have laughed. But, we have been living and breathing our business philosophies and the outcomes have translated into record results.

We often talk about the evolution of our membership base which has grown from 5,000 in 2010 to over 32,000 in 2012. We’ve now set the ambitious target of 40,000 for 2013.

The impact of memberships for a business is massive as it allows the fans to be connected to the game, not just on the nights we play at Suncorp Stadium, but throughout the entire year with our regular communications and engaging campaigns.

It also allows Queensland Rugby to be connected with one of its key stakeholders and develop a relationship that will hopefully prove mutually beneficial. But growth in membership is just one example. The organisation has also grown its representation in the Wallabies ranks by having 14 new players rise to this level since 2010 and we have grown our internal experience levels in parallel.

For the Reds, our playing group had a total of 804 Super Rugby caps in 2010. This number grew to 1098 in 2011 and now sits at 1,454 appearances. At the same time, the average age of the squad has remained at just over 23-years-old, so there is plenty more to come.

Away from the Reds, Rugby participation numbers in Queensland also continue to grow. In 2012, we are heading towards a record 180,000 participants, which is a significant rise from the 137,000 in 2011 and 103,000 from 2010.

These figures haven’t occurred by accident. They have risen on the back of the introduction of new programs like Rookies2Reds, the inaugural Queensland Schoolgirl Sevens Championships and Try Sevens.

Queensland Rugby has also seen a fourfold increase to its community funding through the corporate support, relationships and structures it is developing. Through these various Game Development strategies, we are funding the community game to the tune of $4million above that from which traditional grass-roots funding was generated.

My point is, you don’t get growth if you don’t have the right mindset. None of the above would have been achieved without calculated risk, which is a direct function of strategic and adaptive thinking, along with a willingness and determination to be bold.

This is the business philosophy of Rugby in Queensland and it is reflected both on and off the field. Doing things the way they were always done would not have captured the hearts and minds of the players, fans, media or our increasing stakeholder base. Being bold to ensure growth and taking it up to the sport’s big boys hasn’t always been easy, but doing more of the same would have been a disaster.

Got something to add? Stay tuned, we will be launching a new blog site in the coming weeks to accommodate comments and feedback.

Visit Reds Rugby| Shop| Our Sponsors

Click here to unsubscribe

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wish they published 2 figure in regards to participation. This one that includes anyone who ventures within 5km of a game and the figure of how many registered players. Registered players is a much more important figure in my view as it shows the number of people actually committed to the game.

T

TOCC

Interesting report.. Tim Horan had discussions with Bryan O'Driscoll back in 2010 to play for the Reds following the 2011 RWC

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
Interesting report.. Tim Horan had discussions with Bryan O'Driscoll back in 2010 to play for the Reds following the 2011 RWC
An article in the Courier Mail this morning also detailed O'Driscoll's desire to play a year with the Waratahs under his former Leinster coach Michael Cheika. Would be great to see arguably the best 13 of the decade down under!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
An article in the Courier Mail this morning also detailed O'Driscoll's desire to play a year with the Waratahs under his former Leinster coach Michael Cheika. Would be great to see arguably the best 13 of the decade down under!

That is if Michael Cheika is coaching the Waratahs in 1014 (nothing like a bit of mischievousness to stir up the Mexicans south of the border)

Status
Not open for further replies.