• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
To the disappointed one-eyed Red that is upset you are not getting the Kings this season is that they have slotted straight in for the Lions who you would have missed.

Take your pick, we are playing the other 4. I don't really care, if we are to be contenders then we have to beat the other contenders.

J

Jiggles

The back end seems bloody disjointed. We will really have to get off the blocks flying (not what we do best) in 2013 getting bonus points, and then try and build a bit of form against the Tahs. I would almost take finishing 3rd over 1st or 2nd this year. One more game after the Tahs could be better than a break then another game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Will be hard to start well with no genia and possibly horwill underdone.

As long as we don't have a terrible injury toll we should go better than this year's start though.

T

TOCC

Will be hard to start well with no genia and possibly horwill underdone.

As long as we don't have a terrible injury toll we should go better than this year's start though.
Horwill could be back by the Wallabies EOYT, he should have a full pre-season under his belt following rehab

Genia is the only one who wont be available for a while, but it could be argued that its a blessing in disguise in some ways as it gives the Reds a full pre-season to work on bringing the next halfback up to speed, as opposed to if Genia was injured early or mid-season.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In terms of a back up 9 I'd be keen for the Reds to have an option in the EPS or the new Academy. I'm a fan of Will Thompson from Uni and think he'd be worth a look at.

T

tranquility

I would prefer to take a punt on that little fire haired bloke who is in the national academy and played so well against the Kiwis for the schoolboys. In saying that I am sure there are some very good QLD blokes running around who would fit the bill just as equally and would probably be more committed to the program long-term. We should cross our lucky stars we have Frisby, he is an outstanding prospect.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I would prefer to take a punt on that little fire haired bloke who is in the national academy and played so well against the Kiwis for the schoolboys. In saying that I am sure there are some very good QLD blokes running around who would fit the bill just as equally and would probably be more committed to the program long-term. We should cross our lucky stars we have Frisby, he is an outstanding prospect.

I couldn't agree more. He just needs more game time at 9 - some aspects of his play have been 'X factor'. The trouble is he'll progress to where he'll be nabbed by another side, particularly the Force.

W

What2040

Scotty,
we started fairly average even with Genia playing - he was just playing shit in the first half of the season (for whatever reason it doesn't matter)

as in all players they should relish playing for their franchise (they get well remunerated) and bring their "A" game each week. Understand that some times a "B" game may happen but never a "C" game. Back to club until form reappears. To me its about the supporters, the consumers of our game

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
make no mistake, Genia will be a loss for the games that he misses, and who is to know how he will bounce back from injury. Personally, I think Benny Lucas will step up as the first choice 9 at the start of the season, and do a great job. Frisby is definitely more than capable but another year learning his trade and providing versatility off the bench will be good for his continuing development.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty,
we started fairly average even with Genia playing - he was just playing shit in the first half of the season (for whatever reason it doesn't matter)

as in all players they should relish playing for their franchise (they get well remunerated) and bring their "A" game each week. Understand that some times a "B" game may happen but never a "C" game. Back to club until form reappears. To me its about the supporters, the consumers of our game

It showed how important cooper is to the reds, but the main issue was the injury to his two backups in the same game vs the sharks. That destroyed the teams confidence for a while.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
We could be looking for a new 9 and 10 for the start of Next year. With Quade still not signed to ARU next year, and not likely to play Rugby before next year his top up contract would be considerably lower then this years. Hypothetically, if he stays in Union and signs in France or Japan he is likely to still play Super Rugby in 2013, but if an NRL club still has room under their increased salary cap unfortunately he might be goone.

I believe Lucas' best position is fly half, but Super Rugby is often about putting your best 15 players on the field then worry about positions. So I would be putting Lucas at 9, instead of Frisby, who I am not convinced is a half back. His size and speed to me puts him as a centre or fullback. So who is our third option?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We could be looking for a new 9 and 10 for the start of Next year. With Quade still not signed to ARU next year, and not likely to play Rugby before next year his top up contract would be considerably lower then this years. Hypothetically, if he stays in Union and signs in France or Japan he is likely to still play Super Rugby in 2013, but if an NRL club still has room under their increased salary cap unfortunately he might be goone.

I believe Lucas' best position is fly half, but Super Rugby is often about putting your best 15 players on the field then worry about positions. So I would be putting Lucas at 9, instead of Frisby, who I am not convinced is a half back. His size and speed to me puts him as a centre or fullback. So who is our third option?

This shows a big weakness in the contracting system. Despite Cooper's massive benefit to the Reds through on field play and marketing exposure, and the obvious growth in rugby in this state, it is all seemingly going to come down to how useful he is to the wallabies.

ARU top up amounts should be seriously reduced, with the rest of the money going to the super clubs to distribute to their players as they feel fit (for Aus eligible players only).

The ARU are building a house that is only going to have a roof - no walls and no floor.

T

tranquility

So Sam has definitely gone?

Hypothetically, if he is signed to an EPS contract - is there not a clause that he could break that contract to take up a fulltime position in the Reds squad if Quade were to leave?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hypothetically, if he is signed to an EPS contract - is there not a clause that he could break that contract to take up a fulltime position in the Reds squad if Quade were to leave?
I have no idea how any of that mess works! That would make sense though - I thought that was part of the point of going this way.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In 2 weeks time the Wallabies could have a new coach (I hope so) and all this drama over Quade could have passed.

W

What2040

In 2 weeks time the Wallabies could have a new coach (I hope so) and all this drama over Quade could have passed.

Jets - wishful thinking I'm thinking - reckon Deans will hold on until Lions tour. QC (Quade Cooper) may have done himself immeasurable damage whether Deans is there or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.