• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Add JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback and we will be cutting teams apart.

When you see Lance in an attacking play for the Reds, just imagine that he was JOC (James O'Connor) and see what the different outcome could be.

Cooper would defend in the line but range back as well like Carter does to give at extremely potent counter attack from kicks.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Add JOC (James O'Connor) at fullback and we will be cutting teams apart.

When you see Lance in an attacking play for the Reds, just imagine that he was JOC (James O'Connor) and see what the different outcome could be.

Cooper would defend in the line but range back as well like Carter does to give at extremely potent counter attack from kicks.

Exactly this. Lance is solid and has been a bit of a revelation for the back line this year but JOC (James O'Connor) absolutely oozes with talent and ability.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
And Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) would be absolutely feral in the one team and be totally uncontrollable.

They would require an incredibly strong willed coach. Richard graham is not it.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd like to see Izzy replace Diggers if/when Diggers goes. I think he could be utilized a lot better at the Reds than he is at the Tahs.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've had more of a think around the JOC (James O'Connor) recruitment idea and I'm starting to come around. He definitely has the X factor that is required, especially if Digby is going. I actually think that 15 or 13 would be good positions for him. While I'm a huge fan of Lance and Ant they don't offer the attacking options that JOC (James O'Connor) would. The other thing in JOC (James O'Connor) favour is that his defence is very solid.

I could become very fond of one of these backlines in 2014

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 CFS
12 Taps
13 JOC (James O'Connor)
14 Shipperley
15 Lance

21 Lucas
22 FTA
23 Davies

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 CFS
12 Taps
13 FTA
14 Shipperley
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

21 Lucas
22 Lance
23 Davies

The issue is always going to be money though and I'm not sure that the Reds would be looking to spend that much money on a player when they will need funds to keep the talent that they have developed. I guess it will depend on what happens to the Fainga'a's next year and a few other signings.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Is there bad blood between Graham and O'Connor?

I think the money is there but it might mean losing harris in a year or two.

Regardless of if he ends up at 13,14 or 15 - without digby, morahan and possibly Fainga'a the reds are going to lack a bit in those positions so bringing in JOC (James O'Connor) is a balanced move.

There would have to be a very harsh no dickheads policy from day 1 though.

T

TOCC

I think the Reds will eventually lose Harris regardless, he has no family in the state so there is little in that sense holding him here, he could easily chase more game and a more pivotal role at another franchise...

Also given his boot and style of game, I'm sure there would be strong interest from a few NH clubs.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah I'm resigned to Harris going soon rather than later. He has been good for the Reds but has too many guys in front of him at the moment. Rebels and Force could use him, although Goodwin and a few other signings probably make the Force less likely.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Harris is a journeyman who served the Reds well when we needed him. Now with our injured players back and some of our young guys maturing he isn't even getting a regular bench spot. It's fine, we don't really need him anymore (unless we have another circa-2012 fly half crisis) and he could get more time and some more exposure with another club.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think 2012 showed that Mike isn't a 10 and is best suited at 12 or at 15. I really hope he is spending his time working out to pass from left to right, as this is a weakness in his game and if he masters this skill could play 10 in the future.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I was talking about us being down to our 4th or 5th string fly half again, which realistically would probably be Harris.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The other consideration we Reds fans must all be mindful of is this: not standing still, other S15 teams are evolving and improving their attacking capability.

For the Reds to not die away post the glorious recent past, we must renovate and innovate further to ensure we are not only equal to the best other sides, but in key areas hold superiority over them in terms of player quality and skill. Just implicitly relying on the 'oh, but we have the Genia and Cooper' factor will not be good enough, or secure enough. There will be times when these two are injured, or simply must have some rotation to avoid burnout.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
Good to know Quade is putting dat paper to good use. My word these guys are doing good impressions of people who look like tools.https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/941987_10200528848777324_702960302_n.jpg

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good to know Quade is putting dat paper to good use. My word these guys are doing good impressions of people who look like tools.https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash3/941987_10200528848777324_702960302_n.jpg
You have to wonder sometimes about these guys

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
How many people in Queensland have been laid off recently due to State Government cutbacks?

Diggers seems to have his finger on the pulse of a game of rugby, but this tweet just proves how out of touch with the people he is.

He and QC (Quade Cooper) may be on big $ for doing what they are good at, but the pair of them showing off like that is likely to alienate some of their fan base, particularly given what a pork chop Diggers has been recently about his contract.

Didn't get to see tweets like this from JO'N and he was on more than these two muppeteers combined, and for part time work.

Status
Not open for further replies.